Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM

7 posts, read 7,947 times

Advertisements

Hello, My husband retires from the Corps of Engineers in late Sept. We bought a house in the Hazel Green area and are relocating from Rapid City, SD. (WE LOVE YOUR WINTERS).

With help from family in the area we were able to move a large majority of stuff already but they have since moved so their help is not an option at this point.

We've been looking into moving companies, uhaul, U Ship It shipping etc. and they are all very expensive. Would like some different ideas on moving. Does anyone have any advice or care to share your moving experiences? We really have nothing large or heavy to move. The largest items will be a small chest type deep freeze, 1 wooden rocking chair, 2 high back wooden bar stools, some end tables, 2-3 area rugs, metal storage racks in garage. Then we have some tools, wall art, our clothes, shoes, lines, dishes and a few what knots. 1 larger (40 something inches) flat screen t.v. a few smaller flat screen t.v.s.

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is coming up and we are in very close proximity to that. I was wondering if there might be anyone coming up for that with extra space in a truck/trailer that would like to earn some extra $ taking some things back to AL. It could be stuff like clothes/dishes etc or whatever they would agree to take. It could be a small (a box or 2) or a larger load. Anything at this point could help.

P.S. I just realized that people may be nervous hauling packages that they don't know what is inside because of drugs etc. So each box would remain open so that you could easily see what is inside and I would close them prior to loading, thus putting you at ease. I am sure that I could do this very quickly. We wouldn't expect anyone to be responsible for any damages either. I would not ask anyone to haul anything of significant value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:36 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
Welcome to Hazel Green. I moved up from Huntsville to HG about five years ago. I guess you'll get to see how it is for just a little while before the Walmart changes everything.

I've been to Rapid City in June. I like your summers.

Last edited by CoreLysium; 07-28-2014 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: horrible phrasing fixed

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 7,947 times
Thank you for the welcome. The summers here are really nice. BUT the winters are not so nice. LOL

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
Luckily the summers here have been rather mild this year.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times
I thought we were in SD this past winter!!!!!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:26 PM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
I thought we were in SD this past winter!!!!!
That just means global warming isnt real...

Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,289 times
Actually, the jet stream inversion that we're enjoying now, and suffered through during the winter, is supposed to stick around. As long as the northern Pacific is warming.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,181 times
Is a U-Haul trailer that expensive? That should be all you need for what you've got...

Welcome to AL and the heat!! I really enjoyed RC when we visited on our way to MN one year from MT...(stationed there for 7 years) - I don't miss the winters at all, brutal!! We did bring our snow shovel, haven't used it once!

When we moved from FL to VA, we hooked a small U-Haul on to hubby's Mustang, yes, it looked funny - but, got our small load to where it was going

Old 07-28-2014, 11:40 PM

442 posts, read 647,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessyts View Post
Hello, My husband retires from the Corps of Engineers in late Sept. We bought a house in the Hazel Green area and are relocating from Rapid City, SD. (WE LOVE YOUR WINTERS).

With help from family in the area we were able to move a large majority of stuff already but they have since moved so their help is not an option at this point.

We've been looking into moving companies, uhaul, U Ship It shipping etc. and they are all very expensive. Would like some different ideas on moving. Does anyone have any advice or care to share your moving experiences? We really have nothing large or heavy to move. The largest items will be a small chest type deep freeze, 1 wooden rocking chair, 2 high back wooden bar stools, some end tables, 2-3 area rugs, metal storage racks in garage. Then we have some tools, wall art, our clothes, shoes, lines, dishes and a few what knots. 1 larger (40 something inches) flat screen t.v. a few smaller flat screen t.v.s.

Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is coming up and we are in very close proximity to that. I was wondering if there might be anyone coming up for that with extra space in a truck/trailer that would like to earn some extra $ taking some things back to AL. It could be stuff like clothes/dishes etc or whatever they would agree to take. It could be a small (a box or 2) or a larger load. Anything at this point could help.

P.S. I just realized that people may be nervous hauling packages that they don't know what is inside because of drugs etc. So each box would remain open so that you could easily see what is inside and I would close them prior to loading, thus putting you at ease. I am sure that I could do this very quickly. We wouldn't expect anyone to be responsible for any damages either. I would not ask anyone to haul anything of significant value.
Just my advice as someone that has moved several times: I would stick with U-Haul or go up to a professional moving company. It would probably just be better to keep it all in one place rather than spread it out like that.

At the least I would do U-Haul: U-Haul: Your moving and storage resource

Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 PM

15 posts, read 21,474 times
We used U-Pack (ABF I think) when we moved from Norfolk, VA to Meridianville and had a good experience. They charge you based on the amount of space you use in their trailer. Also used Penske in the past when we didn't mind doing the hauling ourselves. Have generally avoided UHaul, but have never had a bad experience.

Anyway, welcome (in advance) to the area. I hope the move goes smoothly. Let us know what other help you may need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area