Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:18 PM

626 posts, read 748,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel_in_PA View Post
I have DirecTV. I got it because of NFL Sunday Ticket. We have been happy so far. The DVR has about 10x the storage capacity of our Wow (Knology) box (we have the Genie but do not have the TiVo). The hard drive on our box went out. They sent an new one, we got it in two days (FedEx). All we had to do was plug it in and click on a few things and it started right up. The refunded us 4 days of service. We have so many more channels as compared to our Wow service. I have been happy with the Customer Service so far. We usually lose serice for about 20 or 30 seconds when a storm comes. Service comes back up very quickly. I have referred three people so I get $30 off my bill for the next 10 months.

I pay extra for the NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice--but that is why I switched to DirecTV. The thing I didn't like is that they automatically charged me for NFL Sunday Ticket this year. If I don't want it I have to call up and cancel. I did call and managed to get a package deal for both subscriptions.

You stated that you are interested in college sports. DirecTV has not yet signed a deal with the SEC Network, which is set to start up in a week or so. So I am not sure if that network will be available. I am more interested in professional sports so I have not really looked into it too much. If you are interested you can call and ask the status of the service.
Have you destroyed any streets with your new super power? Does Sunday Ticket come with an insurance policy for damage to other people or their property? This has made me slightly skiddish to getting ST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM

523 posts, read 997,256 times
Quote:
DirecTV has not yet signed a deal with the SEC Network, which is set to start up in a week or so. So I am not sure if that network will be available.
SECnetwork went live last week on 8/14. DirecTV does have it.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 PM

225 posts, read 491,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
Had DirecTV installed Friday afternoon and so far I'm diggin' it. It did go out for about 2 minutes during the downpour Sunday afternoon and then again this morning we were watching WHNT and it got pixely and went black for about 2 minutes but I suspect that was because the storm was directly over downtown Huntsville. As and added bonus, when I turned in my Mediacom equipment, they bumped me from 15mbps to 50mbps for only $10 more/month. Apparently they no longer offer the 30mbps service.
Did you use a refer a friend discount to get the extra $10 off a month on your bill? I have 10 to use, nobody seems to want them.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,039,298 times
Quote:
I have DirecTV. I got it because of NFL Sunday Ticket. We have been happy so far. The DVR has about 10x the storage capacity of our Wow (Knology) box (we have the Genie but do not have the TiVo). The hard drive on our box went out. They sent an new one, we got it in two days (FedEx). All we had to do was plug it in and click on a few things and it started right up. The refunded us 4 days of service. We have so many more channels as compared to our Wow service. I have been happy with the Customer Service so far. We usually lose serice for about 20 or 30 seconds when a storm comes. Service comes back up very quickly. I have referred three people so I get $30 off my bill for the next 10 months.

I pay extra for the NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice--but that is why I switched to DirecTV. The thing I didn't like is that they automatically charged me for NFL Sunday Ticket this year. If I don't want it I have to call up and cancel. I did call and managed to get a package deal for both subscriptions.

You stated that you are interested in college sports. DirecTV has not yet signed a deal with the SEC Network, which is set to start up in a week or so. So I am not sure if that network will be available. I am more interested in professional sports so I have not really looked into it too much. If you are interested you can call and ask the status of the service.
Channel 611 is SEC.

Also, call them every year at the end of July to get a good deal on the Sunday Ticket. (I usually end up getting it free). Very rarely do I get a deal on the NHL package, but sometimes they'll give me a 5 or $10 off for 12 months.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:27 PM

523 posts, read 997,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyCF View Post
Did you use a refer a friend discount to get the extra $10 off a month on your bill? I have 10 to use, nobody seems to want them.
They told me I could use the referral but I wouldn't get free installation. It was a wash. But I did call and inquire about the $100 Visa card. They no longer offer that but they did give me $100 credit towards my monthly bill for being a new customer.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM

68 posts, read 115,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
Have you destroyed any streets with your new super power? Does Sunday Ticket come with an insurance policy for damage to other people or their property? This has made me slightly skiddish to getting ST.
Not yet but I haven't tried. I am afraid that power would go to my head..

Old 08-18-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
SECnetwork went live last week on 8/14. DirecTV does have it.
Thanks for letting me know. I am not as much into college sports so I wasn't looking for it.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,769,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Forgot View Post
I am considering making the switch back to satellite. I had Dish many years ago and never had any major problems with them. It seems most are going to Direct now. Is one just as good as the other or is Direct better then Dish? My current cable provider is just not cutting it any more. Thanks for any input.
Have used both ...switched several times...Dish confirmed user now. FWIW

Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
Anyone with DirecTV should read this link from the Chicago Bears message board and then call DirecTV:

DirecTV

It worked for me 4 out of 5 years. Last week I called (greatest customer service ever BTW) and they gave me Sunday ticket for free (4th time), $20 off my bill for 12 months, upgraded wireless Genie recievers, and a ton of movie channels for free. I had to agree to a 12 month contract, which was fine b/c as long as they have Sunday ticket I will subscribe (even if they charge me for it).

***when you call, ask for the Retentions dept.

I have to correct my earlier post. I had stated that I received a package deal for NFL SUnday Ticket and NHL Center Ice. I just checked my bill and I paid full price for Sunday Ticket but they gave me Center Ice for free. I guess that is in a way package deal. I don't think that Center Ice is as expensive expensive as Sunday Ticket, but it is a savings of $160 (price for 2013 season). I am pretty happy with the deal.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,039,298 times
Quote:
I have to correct my earlier post. I had stated that I received a package deal for NFL SUnday Ticket and NHL Center Ice. I just checked my bill and I paid full price for Sunday Ticket but they gave me Center Ice for free. I guess that is in a way package deal. I don't think that Center Ice is as expensive expensive as Sunday Ticket, but it is a savings of $160 (price for 2013 season). I am pretty happy with the deal.
Are you sure about the Center Ice being free? Because Directv can't even charge for it yet, they don't even have their prices for the season. On my bill it says Center Ice $0.00, but that is because they haven't charged for it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area