Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:36 AM

447 posts, read 557,633 times

Advertisements

National composite score is 21, average score in Alabama is 20.6. BJHS has a Composite ACT score of 24.4.

UPDATE: ACT Scores released; national composite score is 21, average score in Alabama is 20.6 | WHNT.com

“To get into any school, they want to know your ACT score,” said Bob Jones High School Principal Robby Parker. “And scholarship dollars start coming at certain intervals, maybe as low as 22 or 23, certainly at 25 some schools and certainly when you get over 30, you can about go to wherever you want and get a lot of scholarship dollars.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM

266 posts, read 396,566 times
Would be nice to see how the schools within a state stack up.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,517 times
First of all, congrats BJHS! My daughters will be across town at JCHS starting next year, and I'm sure their scores will be great also or at least soon the rise. This is another great reason to live in Madison. some people complain and are perplexed by the premium placed on Madison city real estate prices, but this is a prime example of that reason. And now with 2 high schools competing against each other for all sorts of bragging rights (academic, athletic, etc), that will only be a bigger benefit. so yes, you might pay more initially for real estate, but when you consider the education your kids can get, which can result in higher ACT/SAT scores, which can result in scholarship $$$ down the road, the cost pays for itself. IF you can look at things long-term, and you have children who will attend college.

But, I have to take issue with one point Principal Parker said....my daughter scored a composite of 30 on the ACT and she didn't get "a lot of scholarship dollars". Yes, she could have gone just about anywhere, but she chose Auburn to follow in her parents' footsteps. She does have a partial scholarship, but I see the bills that roll in and her scholarship *might* cover 20% of tuition, and zero toward books or anything else. She might have gotten more at UNA or UAH, etc. Who knows.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:26 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,590,939 times
I realize that colleges put a lot of weight on ACT scores but other than that I think people put too much emphasis on them. I remember a program on TV where Texas was criticized for having its teachers putting too much emphasis on teaching towards the standardized tests. Does anyone know whether that is a problem in any of Alabama's schools?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times
I went to a terribly ranked school down in Florida. I ended up getting a 30 combined on the ACT with a 33 in Math and 31 in Science. My English grade was terrible and has never been my strong suit. Its all about the parents getting involved. Are the teachers at these schools any better or is it that the parents are more involved?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM

282 posts, read 687,330 times
I had to google "ACT"..........maybe its just an East coast thing, but we only took the SAT when I was a kid.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM

626 posts, read 754,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
I had to google "ACT"..........maybe its just an East coast thing, but we only took the SAT when I was a kid.
Grew up in Georgia...we took SAT as well.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:04 PM

447 posts, read 557,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
But, I have to take issue with one point Principal Parker said....my daughter scored a composite of 30 on the ACT and she didn't get "a lot of scholarship dollars". Yes, she could have gone just about anywhere, but she chose Auburn to follow in her parents' footsteps. She does have a partial scholarship, but I see the bills that roll in and her scholarship *might* cover 20% of tuition, and zero toward books or anything else. She might have gotten more at UNA or UAH, etc. Who knows.
I know what you are saying. My daughter's composite score is higher than 30. But there is no guarantee she will be accepted to those top universities. I think the correct sentence should be "when you get over 30, you can about go to wherever you want and get a lot of scholarship dollars, for certain kids.”.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times
Well, part of the problem Alabama has is no lottery. If I stayed in Florida I would have had 75 percent of my tuition paid for just based on GPA, and this was from the lottery. Then my ACT scores would have covered the rest of the tuition. Sadly, tuition costs are only 1/4 to 1/3 of the money required for most public Universities in Florida. Its the housing thats so dang expensive. It ended up costing me the same amount of money to go to UAH, even paying out of state tuition.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:01 PM

483 posts, read 630,091 times
Very interesting thread. Here is my .02.

Auburn is notorious for not giving out a lot of scholarship dollars. The only people I know that have a good package are a National Merit Scholar and those that score higher than 34 on the ACT. A 30 will get you a lot more $$ at Alabama than Auburn. It's just the way it is. I personally think education is better at Auburn and athletics is better at Alabama.

Our child did well on the test (a 34) got accepted everywhere he applied to except for one prestigious college (not Ivy League). The other schools pretty much offered him the moon. He received over $600,000 in scholarship dollars for his freshman year alone. I tell you this because my kids started in this school system. If you can start your child's education here and not move you will be blessed. I guarantee you that.

I think Bob Jones and James Clemens will always test in close proximity. JC probably just hasn't been opened long enough to have a bank of test scores yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the first year or two that they are released that their scores aren't even higher than BJ due to smaller classes and more individualized instruction. if I were to start over I'd go Mill Creek, Liberty and JC. Love Mr. Parker though. He is absolutely the best!

I will add that the most important test your kid will ever take (except for a pregnancy test (grin) is the PSAT. That is your ticket to ride!

Again, just my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area