Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 AM

375 posts, read 513,507 times

Advertisements

Court petition claims Huntsville school board member used ‘espionage’ to steal Cabela's from Madison, Louis Breland | AL.com

I don't know any of the principals well enough to comment on what is alleged to have occurred, but I do believe it will be interesting to see how this case shakes out in the court system.

I will say it was extremely odd to me that Cabela's chose to put their store in the location that they did given the difficulty of getting in and out of that area traffic-wise and given the small footprint of the overall development.

Of course, Mayor Battle says there's nothing to the accusations involving Huntsville City's involvement in the deal,
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/in...elated_stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM

266 posts, read 396,616 times
Can you imagine the traffic congestion that will cause? It is already a mess going further down to Madison Blvd.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 PM

401 posts, read 287,253 times
Battle seems to have used his influence to get a favorable appraisal for the Stone School property thereby allowing it to be sold to his close associate for 20% of the original appraisal value. When compared to what the city paid for the old rescue mission property in the same area, a property that doesnt front on Governors, the numbers just dont add up. Battle comes from a real estate background, and I guess we should expect him to reward his associates and cronies.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
The breweries will make up whatever discount they paid for the property in property taxes and increased sales taxes.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM

I dont think thats a proper way for the city and the school system to conduct business. The city paid over $1million an acre for the rescue mission property even while the West Huntsville school property just 4 blocks directly north appraised at $165k per acre. The Stone property totaled some 14 acres, but some was sold separately and the city purchased some for a park. The property acquired by Schrimsher was about $220k per acre. The appraisal process has been corrupted by the city and it shouldnt be a surprise since the appraisers only client is the city, so they get the numbers they ask/want.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM

Just realized while reading Breland's complaint that he and Mike Culbreath live about 100 yards from each other with nothing but a community clubhouse separating their respective residences. Sets up for a nice fall/winter in the neighborhood.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:16 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
I dont think thats a proper way for the city and the school system to conduct business. The city paid over $1million an acre for the rescue mission property even while the West Huntsville school property just 4 blocks directly north appraised at $165k per acre. The Stone property totaled some 14 acres, but some was sold separately and the city purchased some for a park. The property acquired by Schrimsher was about $220k per acre. The appraisal process has been corrupted by the city and it shouldnt be a surprise since the appraisers only client is the city, so they get the numbers they ask/want.
I don't know anything about the other deal you are talking about.

As far as the school goes, why not sell the school on the cheap? That location isn't prime real estate at all, and that building has been sitting there empty for a while. That area of govenors has/is still not the best area of town, but I think things could change down there with the Lowe Mill and now the Breweries.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I don't know anything about the other deal you are talking about.

As far as the school goes, why not sell the school on the cheap? That location isn't prime real estate at all, and that building has been sitting there empty for a while. That area of govenors has/is still not the best area of town, but I think things could change down there with the Lowe Mill and now the Breweries.
The rescue mission property is in the same part of town, but is even less desirable since it doesnt front any major streets and is landlocked, its actually right next to the Lowe mill property. The Huntsville City school system is only able to sell real estate for the appraised price, so they had to get an appraisal that matched what Schrimsher was offering. The city made sure this deal was closed quickly once the new appraisal was done as there was alot of interest in the property at the below market price valuation. There was another offer of about $800k more than the sale price, but the buyer wanted a few months for analysis, but did offer significant earnest money. The fact that Schrimsher also gave money to school board members right before the vote is also suspect.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 13,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnygreek View Post
Can you imagine the traffic congestion that will cause? It is already a mess going further down to Madison Blvd.
Lol. Traffic? The only complaints I have seen in this area is Madison traffic. I would think Madisonites are happy about the Huntsville location. My sources say Louis planned to dump some land around Zerdt to cabelas? Can anyone confirm?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Huff View Post
Lol. Traffic? The only complaints I have seen in this area is Madison traffic. I would think Madisonites are happy about the Huntsville location. My sources say Louis planned to dump some land around Zerdt to cabelas? Can anyone confirm?
I believe Breland was attempting to bring Cabela's to his Town Madison development on I-565 as one of the anchor tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area