Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM

57 posts, read 86,492 times

Advertisements

Where I live the bicyclists stay off the main roads and stick to the neighborhoods (even the fast ones with the nice bikes and gear). So some of them know Huntsville is not meant for bikes. Too bad it's not the same everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 13,278 times
I travel over Cecil Ashburn often and it is terrible. Should be a law against cyclists on some roads.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:41 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
That's a popular myth. Most local roads aren't paid for by use taxes (gas tax, vehicle registration), they're paid for by sales/property tax.
Its actually state dependent. Some gas taxes do go to highway funds here in Alabama, but not all. I know living in Florida tags/registration ended up funding highway patrol directly.

Since tags are considered a property tax on cars, bikes riding the roads could have property tax applied too, if property tax is going to fund the roads.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:08 PM

282 posts, read 687,377 times
I live off of Old Gurly road in NE and I'm shocked by the cyclists that choose to ride there. There are several tall hills that you cant see over and the Eastmost part is really windy......all in all a thin road too.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:10 PM

626 posts, read 754,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
I live off of Old Gurly road in NE and I'm shocked by the cyclists that choose to ride there. There are several tall hills that you cant see over and the Eastmost part is really windy......all in all a thin road too.
I know what you mean. I have a hard time riding my motorcycle doing pop-wheelies around there. Would hate to be so moronic to ride a bicycle

Old 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
I have friends that ride bikes on the roads, even on 4 land highways. I think they are nuts myself.

Some of these bicyclists have this "we have just as much right to be on the road as anyone" attitude. While legally they are correct but that doesn't mean it is a very smart thing to do.

My position on it is, paved roads, in particular 4 lane highways; are designed for quick and efficient travel for motorized vehicles capable of maintaining higher speeds continuously. Riding a bicycle on these roads creates a hazardous situation because the bicycles are typically traveling much slower and are harder to see. It is not only a danger to the person riding the bicycle but also to all the motorists who come around a curve or over a hill and suddenly find someone or a group riding bicycles in the middle of the road at speeds sometimes 40 or 50 miles per hour slower. It is an absolute miracle more of them aren't killed every year.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM

282 posts, read 687,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
I know what you mean. I have a hard time riding my motorcycle doing pop-wheelies around there. Would hate to be so moronic to ride a bicycle

What's crazy is that I see them riding sometimes on a week day......at like 5pm.....for serious.

It "bottles the mind" - Ron Burgendy.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:22 PM

626 posts, read 754,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro4ik View Post
What's crazy is that I see them riding sometimes on a week day......at like 5pm.....for serious.

It "bottles the mind" - Ron Burgendy.
The bicyclist have this arrogance about them. Ever went walking at a greenway? They will run your ass over in a heartbeat.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 13,278 times
I'm a fat guy. It may be worth letting them hit me and see who comes out ahead.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 PM

40 posts, read 41,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Huff View Post
I'm a fat guy. It may be worth letting them hit me and see who comes out ahead.
How is the suspension on your bicycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area