Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times

Advertisements

Simply call and ask for your contract end date. When they give it to you say thank you and hang up. Nothing more. Wait a few days and the retention department will call you back. Tell them it's too expensive and you are considering cancelling service when your contract is up. I've gone as far as to let them know that other providers have offered to pay the ETF if we go ahead and switch now and that usually gets the pricing re-negotiated quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
We just left Dish, and we couldn't get anything more than $30/month off (oh, and bill went up $5 just after that so really $25)) until I literally CANCELLED the service.

THEN they offered me $55 a month and that was it, but by that time our Uverse was already installed.

On Friday, I got this email:

We are committed to rebuilding our relationship with you, and we would like to offer you our best, new customer offer of up to $1,800 in savings which includes ALL of the following:
$35 off your bill every month for 12 months
$700 prepaid card to compensate you for any cancellation fee you might incur from our competition
FREE upgrade to the award-winning Hopper receiver
FREE Showtime, Starz and Encore for 3 months
FREE Blockbuster at Home for 3 months
FREE HD for life
You get all of this without any new qualification or commitment whatsoever.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
interesting, so call them ask them if they can give me the same price for the 2nd year? on the same package.

or should I maybe hint that I want to switch to a cheaper package or maybe cancel....and go back and forth
I would just start with you are trying to cut down costs and looking to see what they can do to help. Just say that the current price is too high for you and go from there.

Quote:
July huh? what's going on in July for DTV? exactly what do you say to get free stuff every July lol I wanna know.
July is when subscriptions for the new season of the NFL Sunday Ticket is happening.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM

645 posts, read 707,297 times
thanks so much guys! very big help. I had the entertainment classic for a year now and I was paying 46 a month. after a year they were going to raise it by 32 dollars! so I went to the lower package the select package, and now I pay 49 a month. almost 30 dollars difference for 10 channels are you kidding me!!

pretty happy now but maybe wait a couple month and try some of the stuff you guys said, maybe they will lower it ? lol

to negotiate the pricing etc, always call huh ? don't email? hate the phone system and holding.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM

68 posts, read 115,762 times
I called DTV last summer and asked about a promotion for a combined Sunday Ticket and Center Ice (the hockey equivalent of Sunday Ticket). I was told that there were no promotions. After talking to them for a while I managed to convince them to give me the Center Ice for free. I paid full price for Sunday Ticket. I thought that it was a fair deal.

I have a friend who has called every summer for the last ten years and manages to get some type of discount on Sunday Ticket. I think that you can always work something out.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 PM

394 posts, read 628,674 times
So... Is anyone else having issues with WAFF OTA signal? I'm in madison and get every signal within 45 miles except WAFF.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Try this, to make sure you are pointing your antenna in the right direction (if it is directional).

AntennaWeb - Address

Old 02-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Try this, to make sure you are pointing your antenna in the right direction (if it is directional).

AntennaWeb - Address
Antennaweb says that the antenna is 12 miles away. I'm pointing in that general direction. I have full strength on WAAY/WHNT/WZDX which are also 12 miles away. I also get full strength on WHDF which is 28 miles away and not in the direction the antenna is pointing. I can also pull in low power channels from over in Decatur. Still no WAFF.... Stumped.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMadHatter View Post
Antennaweb says that the antenna is 12 miles away. I'm pointing in that general direction. I have full strength on WAAY/WHNT/WZDX which are also 12 miles away. I also get full strength on WHDF which is 28 miles away and not in the direction the antenna is pointing. I can also pull in low power channels from over in Decatur. Still no WAFF.... Stumped.
What type of antenna do you have? If it is amplified, try turning down the gain. It could be that you have too much signal.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
What type of antenna do you have? If it is amplified, try turning down the gain. It could be that you have too much signal.

I have a ClearStream 2V ( Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V LongRange HDTV Antenna Multi C2-V-CJM - Best Buy ) and it's not amplified. I'm going to move it around this evening and see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area