Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM

52 posts, read 59,867 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Waterford neighborhood? It appears to be part of a larger subdivision, Heritage Plantation. Is that HOA well run and financially healthy? Are there any issues with that part of Madison, such as a lack of cable/ISP choices or tendency to sinkholes...anything at all?

How about the house for sale on Crownridge Dr.? Some RE sites indicate it's a foreclosure. From the photos, it looks as if it was once occupied (very taste specific paint choices, for one thing.) One site shows the builder as Dalcon Construction. I haven't seen anything on this site about them, but did find a listing for a new build by Dalcon in Clift's Cove. Any info on the house and/or the builder?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,994 times
Waterford is the high-end, newer section of Heritage Plantation. Yes, HP is a pretty large development with several sub-developments (like Waterford) within it. Froom everything I've heard, HP has a very financially strong and well-run HOA. There are some posters on here who live in various parts of HP that can speak more to that.

This particular area of Madison is great and growing fast. Waterford is very close to the new James Clemens High School, but not so close that you would get too caught up in its traffic. I live in another neighborhood closeby, an I can't think of a single negative thing to say about HP in general or Waterford specifically.

As for that particular house, yeah.....it's "interesting". And for that money, you could just about have your pick in Madison. Clifts Cove is the only other neighoborhood with those kinds of prices and it's gorgeous and a little more established. It's close to the other Madison HS, Bob Jones.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:09 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,891 times
There was a house on Boulton Court (the corner of Boulton and Bellwood in Cambridge) that "sunk" in the ground around 2008, since you asked about sinkholes. But it technically wasn't a "sinkhole"....it was some sort of cave that gave in. You can get the geological report from the city of Madison, I've pulled it a couple of times, its about 40 pages long. No other problems in the neighborhood but that.

Heritage Plantation has a rock solid HOA that is well run and financially sound.

That house on Crownridge is a foreclosure and bankowned. It was custom built, so Dalcon probably custom built it for the owner (was built in 2007).

Old 09-08-2014, 03:36 PM

375 posts, read 513,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
There was a house on Boulton Court (the corner of Boulton and Bellwood in Cambridge) that "sunk" in the ground around 2008, since you asked about sinkholes. But it technically wasn't a "sinkhole"....it was some sort of cave that gave in. You can get the geological report from the city of Madison, I've pulled it a couple of times, its about 40 pages long. No other problems in the neighborhood but that.
Hadn't realized until today, when I thought about that house and looked the story up, that it was rehabilitated back in 2010 by Don Kennedy and Sons House Movers. I had always assumed that it had been torn down and replaced with an entirely new structure.

The comeback of the former sinkhole house in Madison | AL.com

Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 PM

52 posts, read 59,867 times
Thanks. It's good to know that the HOA is well run and sound.

TN2HSV, would you please elaborate on what makes the house "interesting" - aside from the wide range of room colors?

What I've seen online in that price range is generally smaller, often older, and sometimes on the other side of Hughes (I prefer to be near County Line for various reasons.) The one I found in the same neighborhood is >2K SF smaller and appears to need just as much work (mostly finish preferences, in both cases.)

Am I mistaken in thinking that this house has the majority of its space on the main floor, and only a media room and bonus room upstairs? If that's correct, it would be a plus, too. I'm losing the battle with dh on a much smaller house (he wants room for all of the family to visit) but will insist on a house that's easily accessible despite hip & knee problems.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 PM

442 posts, read 647,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
it was some sort of cave that gave in
Cavechat.org • View topic - Collapsed cave blamed for sinking house

Quote:
Collapsed cave blamed for sinking house

Posted by Wendy Reeves November 20, 2007 9:33 PM

Test results show an underground cave collapse appears to be the reason David and Stephanie Pursifull's home is sinking.

At tonight's Madison City Council meeting, City Engineer Gary Chynoweth presented the findings from consultants the city hired to assess the cause of street damage at Boulton Court and Belwood Lane, where the Pursifulls' home sits.

The problems started two weeks ago, when the family woke up to find large cracks throughout the house.

"This is one of the rarest problems or types of cave collapses," Chynoweth told the council.

Most likely, he said the recent drought dropped the water surface inside the cave and there was no longer enough hydraulic resistance to continue to support the weight above the top thin bedrock layer of the cave and it collapsed.

"At this point, we believe it's an isolated event," Chynoweth said.

Additional testing will continue in the area, he said.

The initial tests by geotechnical engineers show 30 feet of good, but soft, soil on the property. At 60 feet, there's a break in the bedrock layer. He said it appears there was a thin layer of bedrock, a cave and then another layer of bedrock.

"We are checking to see if the cave system is more extensive than just in the area which has collapsed," Chynoweth said.

He said when solid boring tests were done, groundwater was found at the cave level.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:26 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,263,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Hadn't realized until today, when I thought about that house and looked the story up, that it was rehabilitated back in 2010 by Don Kennedy and Sons House Movers. I had always assumed that it had been torn down and replaced with an entirely new structure.

The comeback of the former sinkhole house in Madison | AL.com
Yep, he "fixed" it and it did finally sell a few years ago. I had a client looking at a house just down from it and was too concerned about that. I would like an update on the owner's litigation with Allstate, last I heard they were still in a legal battle over this when Allstate refused coverage.

It was crazy, how it displaced the road and curb. I had pics of it on my old phone but didn't save them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area