Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 AM

394 posts, read 628,387 times

Advertisements

Here is the recipe for Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce: Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q White Sauce Recipe | Epicurious.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 AM

626 posts, read 754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMadHatter View Post
Here is the recipe for Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce: Big Bob Gibson's Bar-B-Q White Sauce Recipe | Epicurious.com
Lemon juice...that is what my white sauce is missing. Thanks

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
FYI (For Ya'll's Information): Christy Jordan, author and blogger at Southern Plate, just posted her recipe for "Dutch Oven Smokehouse Chicken" at Dutch Oven Smokehouse Chicken | Southern Plate and linked her recipe for "Alabama White Barbecue Sauce."

First white sauce recipe I've seen with that much sugar! My recipe is closer to this, but minus any sugar. PM me and I'll share mine.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
I like Big Bob's but I also like Jim N Nicks. The latter is very runny and very potent. When you order it in the restaurant they only give you a little to start off with because it is so strong. You don't want to coat the meat with it like you would a traditional ketchup based sauce or even Big Bob's. I haven't tried to make it myself but this is supposedly the recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/jim-n-nic...e-sauce-480963

Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizinva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy
Okay Carolina's in the house I'm from Raleigh/Durham lived in Kinston and have property in Fayetteville...what's your neck of the woods? <Sorry for getting off topic>
Originally from Raleigh and I still have family who live in Raleigh and the Wrightsville Beach area. My favorite part about going back to visit is getting a package of Neese's Liver Pudding.

Every time I visit my son in Fayetteville we visit the Pit in Raleigh. Have you eaten there? Do you have any other places you recommend?
I'm not a big fan of the Pit. It is known by Locals as the touristy BBQ joint...similar to Big Bob Gibson's here in AL. I really like Grady's in Dudley, but it is way off the beaten path. IMHO, the best BBQ in Raleigh proper is Clyde Cooper's. Allen & Son's in Chapel Hill is also worth the slight detour from Raleigh. Most places in Lexington are also really good with no frills and true Eastern NC 'cue.

This guy has been pretty spot on with all his reviews...

The Joints | BBQ Jew

Another helpful link...

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/bbqmap/trail_map.html

Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM

272 posts, read 380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Pit. It is known by Locals as the touristy BBQ joint...similar to Big Bob Gibson's here in AL. I really like Grady's in Dudley, but it is way off the beaten path. IMHO, the best BBQ in Raleigh proper is Clyde Cooper's. Allen & Son's in Chapel Hill is also worth the slight detour from Raleigh. Most places in Lexington are also really good with no frills and true Eastern NC 'cue.

This guy has been pretty spot on with all his reviews...

The Joints | BBQ Jew

Another helpful link...

The NC Barbecue Society Historic Trail
You are right, the Pit is more of a tourist attraction. It was okay, but It didn't really impress me. I have had better cue' in my granddaddy's back yard. Clyde Cooper's is good.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:39 PM

272 posts, read 380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Originally from Raleigh and I still have family who live in Raleigh and the Wrightsville Beach area. My favorite part about going back to visit is getting a package of Neese's Liver Pudding.
Oh yea...can't beat North Carolina pork

Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM

614 posts, read 766,569 times
Sadly, I just read on al dot com that Thomas BBQ is no more. The things I will miss the most about them are the ribs, the best potato salad ever, and the skins when they had them .

What a sudden shocker. There was always a line clear out to the highway.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post

Unless you come to Alabama.

I prefer my own to anywhere else.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
A friend of mine who missed NC BBQ had some flown in for us telling me it would slap everything in the mouth around here. I thought it was okay but not good or great. I like vinegar based sauce, and you can get that here, but the meat was diced and chopped to the point that it was like...baby food, if I my borrow that analogy from someone around here. The name of the place escapes me, and I'm not saying that I've had the best the state has to offer, but he sure thought it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area