Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM

414 posts, read 400,102 times

Advertisements

First time poster. I am an empty nester retiree relocating from the Panhandle to the Hsv area. Confused by the dizzying options for housing. I would like new construction in a subdivision where the HOA takes care of lawns and the subdivision has a satisfactory walk score. I want to be fairly close to nature trails, and basic shopping. I care about resell and relative safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
There's a house on Somerset Park Dr off Voekel for sale that, if I was in your position, would consider. I'm not sure it's worth their $169k asking. Must seem bigger on the inside.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:33 AM

301 posts, read 333,576 times
Hampton Cove. Search over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewb0XRwncM

Old 01-06-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Hampton Cove

The video said it all. Thanks for sharing. Will look in that area. Feels relaxing.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM

Default Somerest Park Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
There's a house on Somerset Park Dr off Voekel for sale that, if I was in your position, would consider. I'm not sure it's worth their $169k asking. Must seem bigger on the inside.
Thanks. I will look for that!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Just took a look at it. It looks like a Mark Harris home. Looks really nice inside. Lots of upgrades.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 AM

301 posts, read 333,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
The video said it all. Thanks for sharing. Will look in that area. Feels relaxing.
We bought here in 2011 and never plan to leave. The place has the biggest pool in north Alabama, a fantastic workout facility that comes with your HOA, and is the safest neighborhood in Alabama. you have the mountains, Flint River, miles of walking trails. If we ever move, itll be to a bigger house in the same neighbrhood.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:29 PM

445 posts, read 770,428 times
Look into Timber's Edge in Hampton Cove. It is an "active adult" property and very well maintained with nice ponds, fountains, etc.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
The Eastern Shore neighborhood of Hampton Cove is one I would look at, patio homes on smaller lots. Not new but less than 10 years old. Never a lot of inventory there and they tend to get snatched up quick when priced right, especially the ones on the lake. The last one I sold over there sold off the market because my client had a friend who had a friend who just "put the word out" they were thinking of selling. HOA does not handle lawn maintenance in the Hampton Cove neighborhoods but you could have someone cut it for a reasonable price. While I'm not a "walker" I would imagine that is one of the best in the area, as I always see a lot of people out walking/running when I am over there. There is also a neighborhood Jim Wright built in Hampton Cove called Valley Cove that is really neat and fairly new...small lots and lots of smaller ranch style homes with a few two stories sprinkled in and they are very nicely appointed.

There are some patios that are newer in the Madison area that do have lawn care....Whitworth Gardens and Belmont Place. Again, neither are brand new but they are still pretty new and well appointed. Heritage Provence also has a beautiful patio home section but again, HOA does not handle lawn care but you could hire someone to do it pretty reasonably. The HOAs that do provide it are going to cost you $60-$80 a month in addition to your HOA fees. Woodland also has two townhome communities (Woodmill Trace and Overland Cove) that both have lawn service that is paid quarterly in addition to the HOA fees. Overland Trace has some new construction, and Woodmill Trace is about 6-8 years old. Edgewater has a gated section that does include lawn maintenance but those houses are a bit older, but Edgewater is a gorgeous neighborhood that would be great for walking (again, I see people all the time out in that neighborhood). Their dues are about $1200 a year in addition to the Edgewater HOA fees, so you are basically paying $100/month to get your grass cut.

To be honest, I don't know if I would limit myself in this area to only neighborhoods that offer lawn care included in the HOA because there are not that many of them and the ones that do, IMO, charge MUCH more than it would cost for you to hire a landscaping company to maintain your lawn/landscaping for you. From early November until around April, you don't have to worry about having your grass cut anyways as most lawns here are Bermuda and it goes into dormancy during the winter....but you are still going to have to pay for those months thru an HOA.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:30 PM

493 posts, read 712,574 times
Default Overland Cove

Overland Cove is looking really nice now and the pool/ clubhouse has been built and finished for a while there so the neighborhood is getting pretty well established but still has new construction available...I think Overland Cove is turning out to be beautiful community (to me they look their best when they are completely built out and established). I owned a Woodland Home for 6 years and was one of the first 5 residents to move into the community so we had to put up with new construction for quite a while.

Overland Cove - Woodland Homes of Huntsville

Town Homes & Garden Homes:
This community is a perfect fit for today’s working professional,
single parents and empty nesters.

Architecturally designed for a low-maintenance lifestyle. These affluently appointed interiors and sophisticated exteriors add character and an elegant touch. Each innovative home design has been tailored around life-styles of those who wish to spend less time maintaining their life and more time enjoying it.

Overland Cove Features:
  • Award-Winning Builder
  • Clubhouse with Fitness Center and Resort-Style Swimming Pool
  • Urban Streetscape Design
  • No Maintenance
  • Professional Lawn-Care Service
  • Functional Floor Plans
  • Located Adjacent to Future Greenway & Walking Trail
  • Very Convenient...Located minutes from shopping & entertainment including the Village of Providence, Redstone Arsenal, Research Park, Bridge Street and easily accesses I-565, Highway 72, Highway 255
  • Rear-Entry Garages
  • 10-Foot Ceilings
  • Gourmet Kitchens
  • Private Courtyards
  • Covered Verandas
Schools:
  • Providence Elementary School
  • Providence Middle School
  • Columbia High School

Last edited by needtosellmyhome; 01-06-2015 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area