Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times

Advertisements

I only moved to Huntsville because of the family friendliness. If I were single I wouldn't have moved here. When I retire I don't plan on staying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 24,695 times
Hope no one takes offense to this but isn't Chattanooga the hippie Capitol of Tennessee so to speak? Part of the reason we liked Huntsville was because we thought we could get a moderate sized city, some elevation, more to do, good schools and healthcare, and still keep the southern culture

Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 PM

410 posts, read 696,209 times
I moved here from the DC area after my 3rd kid. Very happy with our choice, it is a great place to raise a family so far. But my wife and I think we would have had a lot of fun here without kids. The downtown continues to improve, the food truck rallies, the brewery tap rooms, more and more live music all the time, Lowe Mill, hiking, biking, ultimate frisbee, disc golf, rec sports leagues. And easy trips to Nashville, Birmingham, and Atlanta for any concert or sporting event you could ever want.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabuilder86 View Post
Hope no one takes offense to this but isn't Chattanooga the hippie Capitol of Tennessee so to speak? Part of the reason we liked Huntsville was because we thought we could get a moderate sized city, some elevation, more to do, good schools and healthcare, and still keep the southern culture
More to do is relative. I like Huntsville, but when it comes to doing things, I think Chattanooga has more to do for young people.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Chattanooga envies our craft beer industry.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Ok. If thats what one is into. I've had various beers from all the local breweries, and I only like a few of them.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 PM

27 posts, read 42,007 times
Default Monte Sano has affordable housing.

Lot's of older houses up there and not very expensive. Plus, I used to see deer and fox on a regular basis.
Very close to downtown.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Let's turn some of these rocket scientists loose... we get way better beers and more!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
As a young professional that is not originally from HSV, I found (at least in my case) that there is more to do for me here in HSV than Chattanooga, although we do like to visit from time to time. This will probably vary depending on what a person likes.

The great thing about living in HSV is that a trip to Chattanooga is pretty quick so if we want to visit we can drive over for the day, do what we need to do, have a nice dinner, and be home at a decent hour.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
As a young professional that is not originally from HSV, I found (at least in my case) that there is more to do for me here in HSV than Chattanooga, although we do like to visit from time to time. This will probably vary depending on what a person likes.

The great thing about living in HSV is that a trip to Chattanooga is pretty quick so if we want to visit we can drive over for the day, do what we need to do, have a nice dinner, and be home at a decent hour.
Its all about priorities. The longer I live here, the more I think I'd like a bigger city like Nashville, which has even more to do than either Huntsville or Chattanooga.

I think the thing for me is, when we go to downtown Chattanooga, its always busy and lively, even in the dead of winter without any special events. The only time I see downtown Huntsville hopping is when there are special events going on. I do think city officials are in the process of changing this though, and I see that as a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area