Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:17 AM

169 posts, read 206,088 times

Advertisements

Better get used to freeloaders. There's increasing talk of a "basic income" guarantee for everyone, since there's likely to be widespread structural unemployment as businesses replace entry level jobs with robots. Should happen in the next 10-20 years. Will make for some interesting discussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 PM

442 posts, read 647,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Okay, since you keep quoting and pointing back to my post, I will make another comment although I intended to be done with this thread.

Your assertion in another previous post that I have no compassion for these people is somewhat accurate. I really just have very little and only in certain circumstances. That would be when some actually truly has a disability or troubling even in their life that puts them in a position where they cannot provide for themselves. Furthermore, out of those, there is a very small percentage that would be considered a true permanent disability that prevents them from working in some capacity and contributing to society.

There are plenty of low skilled jobs out there. Many of the service, construction and restaurant jobs fit this description and have high turn over rates so it is extremely easy to get a job. It might not be the greatest job but it is a start and would get you off of government assistance. If I needed a job to get by, I could go out and find 5 tomorrow without much effort so the "There aren't any jobs for them bit doesn't cut it for me."

My biggest beef with these housing projects and entitlement programs is the deadbeats that ride them forever. Even worse, there are multiple generations of the same family living in one unit or in the same complex. You can't tell me that the Grandmother, the mother, the son, the aunt and uncle are all disabled to the point they have had to live in these things for years. They are meant to be temporary and if it were up to me, they would be out after a couple of years unless they were truly disabled and unable to work. If we were to stop enabling and take it away, you would be surprised how quickly they would start providing for themselves.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:16 PM

652 posts, read 1,303,904 times
FYI .... This is from the Executive Director of Neighborhood Concepts, Inc.

"Flint River is a 72 unit apartment community being developed on Wade Road
·The land, which was purchased from a private seller, was zoned properly, no variances requested
·Building permits were pulled last week and construction is expected to commence in the coming weeks.
·The property is designed to fit into the community with majority brick veneer exterior, heavy landscaping, and numerous common amenities to include pool, clubhouse, playground, etc. A rendering of the property is attached
· Total hard construction cost is approximately $6.8 million
·68 units will be set-aside for families earning 60% of Area Median Income (AMI) and the remaining 4 units will be for families earning 50% of AMI. 60% of AMI for a family of 4 is $41,820.

·The property is designed to be affordable, but families will be required to pay rent.

·Although fair housing laws allow up to 2 persons per bedroom, our management company indicates that on average we see 1.5 persons per bedroom at other communities
·The property will be professionally managed by a third party management company. The company has a strict resident selection plan and enforces lease provisions consistently with all residents
·Due to the lack of public transportation to the area, it is anticipated that the residents will be young families who live and work in the Owens Cross Roads community."

Old 02-04-2015, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 7,308 times
"I work my butt off to live somewhere that I feel safe but what I thought would be an investment turned out to be a dodged bullet. Section 8 belongs somewhere more convenient for those living there & if it brings down the value of our investments and our home security, then I am getting very discouraged with whoever is making these decisions. There are people who are having to live in section 8 areas that probably are wonderful & possess great morals and guess what, there ARE options to get you out of those living situations if that is what you want. I would be more than happy to offer my advice to these specific people. As for the crime that goes along with section 8-- let's not spread that out across our city! How about you try & focus on making the present section 8 housing better instead of just spreading it out. Who exactly is making this decision? You aren't getting my vote!!!"

Old 02-04-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryneighbor View Post
I am getting very discouraged with whoever is making these decisions.

Who exactly is making this decision? You aren't getting my vote!!!"
The Huntsville Housing Authority?

Huntsville Housing Authority

From some of the articles I have read they have had a lot of anger come toward them already for other apartment complexes as well. I read an article a while back about an apartment complex they bought (Stone Manor) and some residents were required to move after they purchased it.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:23 PM

Here's an update from WAFF tonight:

Lower income apartment complex being developed in Hampton Cove s - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

I actually did not know until I saw the picture under the video at the link above that the apartment complex would actually be butted up against the backyards of some of the homes in Hampton Cove. I guess I understand now why residents are concerned. I wouldn't want my back patio to face apartment buildings but on the other hand when you buy a home that is adjacent to empty land you don't necessarily know what will become of that empty land.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 AM

218 posts, read 277,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
I actually did not know until I saw the picture under the video at the link above that the apartment complex would actually be butted up against the backyards of some of the homes in Hampton Cove. I guess I understand now why residents are concerned. I wouldn't want my back patio to face apartment buildings but on the other hand when you buy a home that is adjacent to empty land you don't necessarily know what will become of that empty land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAFF48
Councilman Mark Russell said this is private property that was purchased by a private group, so there's really nothing neighbors can do...
The city did loan the developer $350,000 to help with the development costs of the project
One of these things is not like the other, lol.

Some developers tried to put in lower income senior apartments on Slaughter road, but chose not to after the city wouldn't give them a loan for development (due to negative resident feedback [props to councilman Will Culver]). So, the city's loan of $350k probably allowed the development to take place, making Mr. Russell's comment inane.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:49 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
This is just behind where I live.

People are freaking out a little too much. It's an apartment complex, not a crack house.

Uhm, all of us who are enjoying our nice single-family homes over here are doing so because we can afford them out here when we couldn't (or wouldn't) in Five Points or Jones Valley. This isn't Beverly Hills for crying out loud - it's the fringes of Huntsville. Of course the expansion is going to ultimately include ALL kinds of development.

I don't think there was ever a rule written when I bought my home here that resident children would forever only attend school with golf course kids.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
zenjenn = "It's an apartment complex, not a crack house."

It can be both (and if the current projects are a guide, at times it is). People bought in Hampton Cove with the expectation that resident children would attend school with golf course kids. IMO people aren't freaking out enough.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
People bought in Hampton Cove with the expectation that resident children would attend school with golf course kids.
If that's how they feel about their children's education then they should send them to a private school like Randolph IMO. https://www.randolphschool.net/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area