Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Can someone tell me about Hunter Homes? It seems like they're another builder in the lower price range but I don't see much discussion about them. If it's something negative, you can DM me with info.
There were at least three threads on this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...ter-homes.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...ter-homes.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...untsville.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:46 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times

Thanks for the links.

I just find it curious that many here seem to endorse Adams Homes but I find Hunter Homes are in the same price range and similar floor plan/ construction as Adams Homes, so I am just wonder if I miss anything.

I do think houses here get a lot better looking when you go above $300K, but this would price out both builders.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 17,547 times
Just remember, you get what you pay for with Hunter Homes and Adams Homes.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinsTower View Post
Just remember, you get what you pay for with Hunter Homes and Adams Homes.
Well... from what I see, you get a quality construction for a reasonable price. What they don't give you is lots of icing on the cake stuff, or you'd pay extra. Most ammenities such as hardwood floors, granite countertops, etc., are options. Some are willing to pay for them, others are just happy with the standard stuff.

They are tract homes so the lot size is not big (by the local standard). Most houses in a subdivision will look alike since not many variations are available. They use concrete slab instead of raised foundation, which some say is more costly when need to replace plumbing. Concrete tends to crack which leads me to wonder about the PVC plumbing underneath...

They also give you bare bone landscaping, but that's something you can do afterward and why finance your landscaping for 30 yrs?

But they address the Huntsville area medium home prices range at ~165K. Not everyone who comes to Huntsville are well-paid engineers & executives, some are enlisted men in the military.

By definition, "medium" implies 50% of houses are higher than that value, and the other 50% is under. Yet if you look at the new homes, most are at over $300K, these new homes do not address the "medium" housing market in Huntsville. Adams, Hunter and others fill in that niche.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,746 times
In the low 200s, there's 5-7% to play with. That's what we figured in the area where we are buying a new construction.

Rather than offer low by 6%, we offered about 2K less than asking then put a few conditions, things we wanted them to do, that would add up to the dedcution. I know it's the same as financing "upgrades" rather than the lower total, but one of the concessions was a must-have for us and we didn't want to lay out a ton of money right now.

We also got a suprisingly low rate with VA (I was shocked really.) So all is well.

I'm not sure buildiers would entertain an offer with a 7% cut, but asking them to kick in the bigger ticket extras to the tune of the same value may work.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 PM

346 posts, read 851,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Well... from what I see, you get a quality construction for a reasonable price. What they don't give you is lots of icing on the cake stuff, or you'd pay extra. Most ammenities such as hardwood floors, granite countertops, etc., are options. Some are willing to pay for them, others are just happy with the standard stuff.

They are tract homes so the lot size is not big (by the local standard). Most houses in a subdivision will look alike since not many variations are available. They use concrete slab instead of raised foundation, which some say is more costly when need to replace plumbing. Concrete tends to crack which leads me to wonder about the PVC plumbing underneath...

They also give you bare bone landscaping, but that's something you can do afterward and why finance your landscaping for 30 yrs?

But they address the Huntsville area medium home prices range at ~165K. Not everyone who comes to Huntsville are well-paid engineers & executives, some are enlisted men in the military.

By definition, "medium" implies 50% of houses are higher than that value, and the other 50% is under. Yet if you look at the new homes, most are at over $300K, these new homes do not address the "medium" housing market in Huntsville. Adams, Hunter and others fill in that niche.
I agree with what your saying HB2HSV!!!

As first time home buyers, we couldn't afford to go really high on a first house and Adams, to us, seemed like a well built home with many things we liked. We did look at our neighborhoods and homes, but with the interest rate at the time, the convenience to hubby's work and the price for the size of the house we would get for the money...we couldn't go wrong with the house we selected. Even though hubby does have a good, decent job, a first house isn't going to be a huge $200 to $500 one. It would be nice, but not realistic. Maybe for the second house..LOL!!! These particular builders do fill that niche and came highly recommended to us.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

216 posts, read 580,630 times
WIth the builders, it depends. It is ignorant to say the builders won't negotiate in this market. Many of them will REALLY negotiate. In fact, it is with the builders you are getting your best deals. It just depends on that builder's financial circumstance. Some have more money behind them than others and have been able to weather this down market. last week I met a builder who looked like he was getting ready to burst into tears over market conditions

Adams is a good house for the money. They don't negotiate period. They will pay your closing costs. They have been making price reductions in specific neighborhoods during the down markets.

Tony Pollard has been bankrupt since the summer and is only finishing up some homes he had started. Everything in Laurenwood is a foreclosure. Still, he built a good home, I always liked working with him.

Alabama Heritage doesn't have anything under 200k....the new subdivision on Old Railroad Bed is in the mid 200's.

I have nothing positive to say about Hunter, so I won't say anything at all

Old 12-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonmamma View Post

I have nothing positive to say about Hunter, so I won't say anything at all
Hey madisonmamma,

Can you DM me about Hunter homes? Would be interested in your opinion.

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
Be very careful with Hunter Homes. Cheap materials and prefabricated stuff. Lack of quality. My friends who bought a Hunter Home feel they got a bad deal.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM

26 posts, read 58,315 times
Be careful here. This is a buyer beware state, no disclosers forms, codes are limited. I mean homes have foundation problems. This place has the good ol boy system. Be sure to check the plat in your area. Swamp land has been filled in and quickly built on. Most places have codes against this. It must sit for a few years. I have seen footings on new homes cracking because of this. Keep in mind inspectors are a part of this system.

Last edited by ala-bubba-ama; 12-30-2008 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area