Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,863,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoG View Post
Here ya go everyone, if I am vindicated or proven wrong, here is the history:

http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/book/chptfour.pdf
Quote:
Page 15 of my link:
That is all true but it does not say anything about racism

Perhaps Von Braun recognized that in order to lobby to the State of Alabama, he needs to establish an extension of Alabama state university system. You noticed he did not lobby for an extension of AUBURN UNIVERSITY here in Huntsville.

I would argue that it would be very racist of Von Braun to have lobbied for Alabama A&M as the university to educate future scientist and engineers. A&M is a historically black college (HBCU) which means they admits predominantly black students. It would have been UNFAIR to the otherwise qualified white students to be denied of admission.

But today, you should be very happy to know that NASA MSFC hires qualified men & women from BOTH Alabama A&M and UAH, not just scientists and engineers but people with liberal arts degrees like yourself.

Racism is a part of Alabama history we can not deny it, it was also an ugly part of the U.S. history. Let's not look at everything through a racist eyes and continue to divide this country by stirring up nonense racist issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM

458 posts, read 613,180 times
Quote:
Really? Really? Give me an engineer who can actually tell me what mathematics is. What is mathematics? What makes science special? I mean, what REALLY makes it special? Not broscience BS. Why does it work? Why did it appear when it did in human history? What is technology? What does the nature of technology tell us about human experience and nature as a whole? What does it tell us about its proper use and control?

I study these questions and Dewey wrote a book called _Logic: The Theory of Inquiry_ that contains the most detailed and robust philosophy of science and arguably also mathematics in the history of thought. That is why when I go to these interviews with these engineers and builders and business people, I speak their language better than they do. IF you have ever been concerned with questions about business ethics or the ethics of scientific research, the role of business in environmental sustainability and social welfare and responsibility, the nature of a corporation and if it qualifies as a "person," the nature of democracy and bureaucracy, or the reasons why we think that government should have controls about who it hires and what it pays you, the nature of education and the way that children should be educated in a classroom, or if they should be educated with tax money, or if they should be educated at all, you have dealt in philosophy. Please.
Sounds like a great elective class.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,649,259 times
Quote:
I would also just like to say that the remark that I was "probably black" or that I was posting what I was posting because I was black or whatever is probably the most racist thing in this entire thread.
WELL YOU ARE AREN'T YOU?!!!

Nah, I'm kidding. I agree with you there.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I would also just like to say that the remark that I was "probably black" or that I was posting what I was posting because I was black or whatever is probably the most racist thing in this entire thread.
Where did AuburnAL post (attached below) ever imply you were "probably black"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I have often thought that the state would be much better off if UAH and A&M as well Alabama State, AUM, and TSUM combined into two schools. The budgets could be cut while more money could be spent on improving each university. I also realize that this would be a hard sell to the black and white people, and it certainly would have been much harder in the early 60s when many white people would see it as some covert federal effort at integration while many black people would see it as white people simply coming in and taking an HBCU.

The HBCUs are probably the only popular vestige of segregation in the US, ands they have survived in this limbo because they were one part of Jim Crow that was ostensibly started with good intentions and were well regarded by black people. I think it may well be another generation or two before people will recognize and be ready to deal with this.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 AM

18 posts, read 23,804 times
Auburn was OK. And this other guy wasn't all that bad either.
look someone just get few million dollars and put in a commercial district next to the college on holmes avenue. everyone here is invited. first round is on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

I don't know where all this racist nonsense is coming from. Maybe the OP is black and looks at everything from a racial perspective.....who knows but to claim that UAH was formed for that reason is absurd.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
look someone just get few million dollars and put in a commercial district next to the college on holmes avenue. everyone here is invited. first round is on me.
OK.. so it was from dijkstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra
I don't know where all this racist nonsense is coming from. Maybe the OP is a liberal and looks at everything from a racial perspective.....who knows but to claim that UAH was formed for that reason is absurd.
There. Fixed it for ya

Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,228,868 times
How many in this thread took a philosophy class in college? I had to, it was a core requirement at AU. Most boring mundane class ever.

You learn really quick to not even bother arguing with them. Take it from me, this thread will just go round and round in circles....as it frankly already is. Best just to roll eyes and move on. You won't win (or you may, but he won't stop).

Old 02-18-2015, 11:31 AM

159 posts, read 381,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
Sounds like a great elective class.
Haha! Thumbs up to you sir

Old 02-18-2015, 12:08 PM

468 posts, read 901,989 times
OK - late to the party here.
Just to get this out there...

1. I am NOT BLACK... I am NOT WHITE either.
2. I am not from the south.
3. Lived here for over 6 years now.

Read through that interesting history...
1. Pistog - what is your point in all this?

2. A&M was stymied by its own 'affirmative action laws' - that hindered its own growth and development.
"A&M’s regulations complicated its relations with the Center. As Clyde Foster explained, “Because of the system, we couldn’t use available whites that were qualified to go out and teach at the Alabama A&M University.”

3. UAH had no such restrictions for enrollment and employment during this time.

4. OK --- here is a something to stir you up...

As an outsider looking in, I think black colleges are anachronistic. They had value eons ago - but nowadays, anyone qualified intellectually - has access to a good college education. In fact, when we cocoon people based on color, we are limiting their exposure and growth. I am not colored - and you won't find colleges for yellows and browns anywhere in the US. We don't need them ... and they will not succeed (both the colleges and the kids). People should be treated for their smarts - for what they bring to the table.

If only they will put down the remote or that video game controller , hit the books, turn off the TV, wear their pants up ... (and this applies to anyone of any color).

Old 02-18-2015, 05:05 PM

3,455 posts, read 4,789,611 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
OK.. so it was from dijkstra

There. Fixed it for ya
My comment wasn't meant to be offensive. I was must making an observation that seemed to be the case and stated "maybe" it was the case. I am not politically correct at all and don't have much of a filter so I tend to say or type whatever I think. Sorry if I offended you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
How many in this thread took a philosophy class in college? I had to, it was a core requirement at AU. Most boring mundane class ever.

You learn really quick to not even bother arguing with them. Take it from me, this thread will just go round and round in circles....as it frankly already is. Best just to roll eyes and move on. You won't win (or you may, but he won't stop).
I registered for one as an elective once. I always registered for an extra class and went to the first couple of classes and dropped the dud. I only went to the first day of the philosophy class and I was already bored out of my skull. I was thinking most of the class that the professor was full of ****. I could see from that first class it was going to be a complete waste of time, so it got nominated to be dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area