Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wehut View Post
Best of luck to you. OXR/HC is an excellent choice. Hope you get the offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times
Around here it depends on where one lives.

When we were looking at a house off of County line just north of Capshaw, it took 35-40 minutes to go 13 miles to Research park anyway I sliced it or diced it at 7:30 and at 5pm. Probably not as bad as DC, but I was able to do 35-40 minutes at rush our from Jacksonville Beach to the Arlington area and it was 20 miles with a city 4 times as big as Huntsville.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
yes! Good grief! And I know salaries are adjusted depending on location, but when you factor in the cost of real estate, TAXES, commute time, mileage on your car, gas, etc. the adjustment isn't NEARLY enough.

Yes, we are spoiled here with affordable real estate prices. My dad & half-sisters live in San Jose, CA, and they cannot believe what we get for the money. My dad lives in a "million dollar home", but it's a 3 BR/2BA small 1960s rancher. Maybe 1600 sq ft.
The locality pay differential for government employees are only $10K between DC and HSV. This is a drop in a bucket compared to the cost increases of living in the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia) area.

Speaking of taxes, the local news is reporting that the Prince George (PG) County in Maryland will increase its property tax by 15% next year! Now just FYI for all of you, PG county is not a desirable place to live due to poor schools, high crime rates, etc. (so I've learned from the locals).

Coming from So Cal where average $/sq.ft. ranges from $450 ~ $600/sq. ft., we were spoiled to be able to afford a BIG HOUSE (big for our standard) other than da wife complains about the areas she has to clean I wanted another 20 acres to go with the house but da wife is a city gurl and refused to live where there is no street lights, so we "settled" (you know how we negotiate? She said this is the way it is and I said "yes dear" ) for a subdivision in Madison. All is good 'cept I don't get that bragging rights.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:22 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Around here it depends on where one lives.

When we were looking at a house off of County line just north of Capshaw, it took 35-40 minutes to go 13 miles to Research park anyway I sliced it or diced it at 7:30 and at 5pm. Probably not as bad as DC, but I was able to do 35-40 minutes at rush our from Jacksonville Beach to the Arlington area and it was 20 miles with a city 4 times as big as Huntsville.
Being on the North side of Hwy 72 (which Capshaw is) makes a huge difference. That whole 35757 zip code area, as well as Harvest, is a mess to drive in because the roads just don't accommodate the traffic. I work with 4 people in my immediate department who live in that general vicinity and they use all sorts of creative ways to get to & from work, but it still takes them a while.

I'm off County Line, right by JCHS, and on average it takes me 20-25 minutes unless there's an accident.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Being on the North side of Hwy 72 (which Capshaw is) makes a huge difference. That whole 35757 zip code area, as well as Harvest, is a mess to drive in because the roads just don't accommodate the traffic. I work with 4 people in my immediate department who live in that general vicinity and they use all sorts of creative ways to get to & from work, but it still takes them a while.

I'm off County Line, right by JCHS, and on average it takes me 20-25 minutes unless there's an accident.
We looked at Ashbury off of county line and it was about a 25 minute commute.

Fundamentally, Jeff, Wall Triana, and Old RR bed need to be 4 laned north of 72 and Capshaw needs 4 lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area