Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,159 times

Advertisements

Hey! I've posted similar threads in Texas and Atlanta, but I just "discovered" Huntsville so to speak and my interest is piqued.

Me: college senior at Cal State Northridge, white, strong Baptist background, republican, love nature, enjoy firearms, prefer suburban living (with the option to drive into the city and then drive home) vs. living downtown or in the city, majoring in Economics, want to get into Construction Management, like to be around like minded folks etc etc. I don't go to clubs or drink liquor ever, I do like concerts, car shows/racing etc.

I can answer more info, but I didn't have a bunch of time to write this and I wanted to get y'all's opinion on if HSV is the place for me? (wow a rhyme :P).

I'm reading that the part of HSV I want to be in is the SE part except for the Hamptons Cove area which is turning into a housing project, am I on the mark here?

Don't want to spend more than $800 (preferably less) for my own place with at least one bedroom in a classy area, any places I should zero in on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Huntsville is a high tech mecca with a southern charm and historic past
You would fit right in
Come you will be welcomed
start here to get the general overview, downtown, Monte Sano, south Huntsville, Madison will fit your criteria
The Chamber of Commerce - Huntsville and Madison County

Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
what AU HVS said ..come on down .. join Huntsvillecarscene.com ... plenty of hot rod activity around

Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
I saw your thread in another section and my first thought was to recommend Auburn because of the construction management / building science program. However I didn't have time to post then.

Yes, Huntsville might be a good place for you but consider that it's a small to mid-sized city of ~180,000. While that's larger than the Los Angeles (around here, LA means lower Alabama) neighborhood of Northridge (~60,000), consider the population densities: Northridge = 6080 people per square mile vs Huntsville = 858 people per square mile.

Think of Huntsville as a large suburb with a very small downtown (i.e., there is really no option of driving into "the city" then driving home, unless you live in the country). You can live downtown and drive 5 or 10 minutes to a 3,000 acre State Park / Nature Preserve.

We've got Baptists, lots of Republicans, lots of nature, guns (Remington is building a new plant here), some concerts, and Talledega is about 1 1/2 hours away.

Hampton Cove is an upscale neighborhood near which the housing authority is building a housing project. So, a bit off the mark.

I think that the Belk Hudson apartments downtown fit your budget. Note that they're two blocks from the courthouse

Old 03-31-2015, 07:48 PM

Thank you!! The more I read about the area the more I like it!

I know the city has gotten a lot of transplants (having NASA an awesome economy will do thsg flings , but does it still have a real "southern feeling" where the transplants have assimilated to AL culture?

Does the area feel transient or settled? By that I mean do you know your neighbors and feel like lart of a community? Do you feel a community feeling in your area where the residents seem to be there for the long haul or is it just a bunch of folks following a job with no intentions of staying past the time when their position ends?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Downtown covers area between Governors Dr to the south Oakwood to the north , Memorial Parkway west and California to the east
Lowe mill village is nearby the largest arts , craft conglomeration in the south, new home grow breweries downtown
http://btrbrew.com/
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf..._to_break.html
many great restaurants downtown
There are many more options downtown coming on line
Twickenham Square, available now, includes Publix grocery store, 4 restaurants
City Centre at Big Spring soon to be under construction
The Avenue soon to be under construction
Constellation; maybe sometime in the next few years
Historic districts downtown, Twickenham, Old Town,
nearby nice neighborhoods Blossomwood, Five Points

Old 03-31-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Downtown covers area between Governors Dr to the south Oakwood to the north , Memorial Parkway west and California to the east
Lowe mill village is nearby the largest arts , craft conglomeration in the south, new home grow breweries downtown
Below the Radar
Yellowhammer Brewing to break ground Thursday on Stone Middle School expansion, partner with pizza food truck | AL.com
many great restaurants downtown
There are many more options downtown coming on line
Twickenham Square, available now, includes Publix grocery store, 4 restaurants
City Centre at Big Spring soon to be under construction
The Avenue soon to be under construction
Constellation; maybe sometime in the next few years
Historic districts downtown, Twickenham, Old Town,
nearby nice neighborhoods Blossomwood, Five Points
All the places seem nice, but a bit too "in the middle of everything" if you get me.

Do you know of any locations in the city that are less "urban" I guess would be the word.

Here is an example of the kind of places I like:

Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
Even downtown doesn't really feel "urban" but you would probably not find what you like in your budget near there anyways. Pretty sure Belk Hudson Lofts are running a wait list right now and those are going to be more than $800/month.

In SE HSV there is a lack of apartments (at least like the ones you have posted) so you may not find what you are looking for there.

Stick to the outlying "suburbs" like Hampton Cove or Madison, or even the county areas. There are some apartments that are very convenient to University Drive/72 area that are in the Monrovia area near the Village of Providence that might fit the bill. Arch Street is on the outskirts of Madison very close to Research Park and Bridgestreet. Hampton Falls over in Hampton Cove are really nice and still very convenient to downtown HSV and shopping. There are lots of newer options that surround the Research Park/Arsenal area.

They are not building "housing projects" in Hampton Cove. They are building INCOME CONTROLLED apartments, there is a big difference. And from the plans they are going to be extremely nice.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 04-01-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 06:09 AM

301 posts, read 333,677 times
LOL Hampton Cove isnt building projects. Ive lived there for almost 5 years and never plan on leaving. This is the best part of Huntsville.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 AM

394 posts, read 628,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
Don't want to spend more than $800 (preferably less) for my own place with at least one bedroom in a classy area, any places I should zero in on?
You could buy a 3 bedroom/2 bath house for $800/month. You should look in the Madison area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area