Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 PM

169 posts, read 206,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Well this always bugs me when smokers seem to think the world is their ashtray. Putting your trash in the trashcan is civilization 101.
What's great is when they're sitting in front of you at a light, most of the way through a cigarette, tapping it outside the window. You know the sequence that invariably follows:
  1. Light changes to green
  2. Car starts accelerating
  3. One more drag on the cigarette
  4. Cigarette flies out the window
It's like some crazy, immutable law of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Litterbug, litterbug,
Shame on you.
Look at the terrible things you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM22dhuce_s

Litter is my pet peeve.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,612,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
So you did report the make and license plate model right?
You BET I did... I called and turned them in.. mind you, Green Team only gives info to local police, who send them a warning letter, but at least SOMETHING is done...

Old 04-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionqueen1106 View Post
Hi
i totally understand, but those who knows better will do better. In today's world it is no longer safe to approach people who does stupid things. Murderers, serial killers or ignorant people does not come with it a note on their forehead. Next time things happens that drives you insane, think of your family and/or love ones should they get the news that you approached a individual who obviously has so regard for anything or anyone, knocked on his window and got blown away with a gun.
Sometimes we cannot fix it all, so we do the little we can do without putting our lives at risk and have the law do the rest. I hope you understand that this is not to down play your feelings but just a reminder to count to 10 then 10 again before someone else gets the better of you. I hope you did not let it spoil your entire day. Take care
You're absolutely correct, and I appreciate that advice... but oh how I'da loved to dump my 20+ ashtray in his lap...

Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
meh. Wasn't too many years ago that those butts would have been tobacco plants growing along the side of the road, and the wrappers made of paper from trees being cut just a little further down. Uncouth and filthy, yeah, but nothing to get panties in a bunch over. I don't smoke but sometimes purposely lob an apple core out a window in the country in hopes of an apple tree growing out of it.
Last I looked, and apple core will

A: feed some animal - bird, raccoon, possum, etc...
B: not take 20+ years to biodegrade
C: sprout and grow into a tree that'll produce, you guessed it, apples?

So an apple core discarded isn't harmful to the environment but cig butts are...
And, for the record, I'm FAR from a tree hugger...

Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM

396 posts, read 664,849 times
I am disgusted by litter and the litterers who put their trash out there for the rest of us to enjoy.

I cannot control another person's behavior. Those who litter are clueless. Its like peeing in your own bathtub... some people don't understand the concept (and may be too damn lazy to empty their trash in the trash).

So, I'm doing what I can to pick up what I see. When I take a hike or walk, I take along a litter bag. I've signed up to adopt a portion of highway with the Green Team. I'm new to this but anxious to get started.

I am proud that Huntsville is seen as a "Green City." This is a big win for the community. I want to do everything I can to make it greener. Would you join me?

Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Last I looked, and apple core will

A: feed some animal - bird, raccoon, possum, etc...
B: not take 20+ years to biodegrade
C: sprout and grow into a tree that'll produce, you guessed it, apples?

So an apple core discarded isn't harmful to the environment but cig butts are...
And, for the record, I'm FAR from a tree hugger...
While I completely applaud your anti-butt stance (butts on the road drive me insane), I caution you on your pro-core stance.

I, too, was a core-tosser.

But I then was educated. Notice how many owls and hawks you see dead alongside the road? Most of them are hunting mice. Those mice are drawn to the roads to eat trash and garbage (mmmm apple cores). Yep. Makes sense doesn't it?

I am no longer a core-tosser, a peel-thrower, and certainly not a butt-chucker.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:29 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"But I then was educated. Notice how many owls and hawks you see dead alongside the road? Most of them are hunting mice. Those mice are drawn to the roads to eat trash and garbage (mmmm apple cores). Yep. Makes sense doesn't it? "

Nope. The only dead roadside birds around here are the turkey vultures - something you don't want to run into because they smell like the carrion they eat. On a recent journey, I checked out the roadkill - about 4 raccoon, 3 possum, 1 deer, one cat, 2 turkey buzzards. No armadillos this trip. The hawks play over our property a lot because we have some thermals they ride and I've never seen one as roadkill. I can't recall ever seeing a dead owl or hawk by the road. I have seen (and cleaned up) a lot of dead Bud Lites, Gatorades, and a few dead take-outs.

Field mice, to the best of my knowledge, are much more interested in crickets and seeds than fruit. They certainly would be capable of climbing our pear tree and nibbling away, but never bother it or the drops. Even the squirrels are more interested in nuts. The raccoons and possums might be interested, but I've not seen any hawk lift a full grown one of either of those.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:51 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,834 times
Quote:
No armadillos this trip.
Yeah it doesn't seem to be dead armadillo season yet. But when it's time I swear the number of dead armadillos is crazy.

I used to joke that there must be a secret society that distributes armadillo carcasses at night when no one is looking because for the longest time I never saw a living armadillo around here - but tons of dead ones!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:58 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
I've never seen a hawk or an owl dead on the side of the road. All of a sudden this is some sort of epidemic because people throw discarded FRUIT out of their car window?

Are you serious?

harry, I only wish I could rep you more for both your posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area