Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 23,566 times

Advertisements

So we are moving to Huntsville. We really wont have much visiting time and was wanting some insider info not to waste a realtors time.

So what area in Huntsville is like green hills (Nashville ) or sequoyah hills (Knoxville)?

Is Madison like Farragut or Franklin & Cool Springs area?

So here is the skinny - we are moving and have no kids -

Do you get 2x the house for the same price?
ie - nashville,knoxville,huntsville vs franklin,farragut,madison

what is decatur, arab, athens like?

So why are there not many homes with pools?

Where would you live? Late 30's - no kids - 4,000 square ft ish , eat out often , don't really walk anywhere, close to shopping etc ....(big box nothing crazy)

$400k - $600k ish

Last edited by TNLABLOVER; 04-03-2015 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: added answer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM

410 posts, read 695,605 times
4000 sq ft? What is your price range?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:11 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
I lived in Brentwood for 20 years and nothing here compares to Green Hills. The only exception would potentially be somewhere up on Monte Sano or in the Ledges neighborhood. Madison or Hampton Cove/Jones Valley are the most "upscale" suburbs, but IMHO, the area is still not as nice as Franklin, Brentwood or Green Hills in terms of amenities and nice homes.

If you want to be close to shopping, somewhere in Madison would be your best bet. Hampton Cove is pretty devoid of shopping and restaurants unless you cross the "mountain" into Jones Valley.

Speaking of restaurants, the dining scene for local, non-chain options here is pitiful...standing room only at the Golden Corral grand opening is a testament to this fact.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM

410 posts, read 695,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I lived in Brentwood for 20 years and nothing here compares to Green Hills. The only exception would potentially be somewhere up on Monte Sano or in the Ledges neighborhood. Madison or Hampton Cove are the most "upscale" suburbs, but IMHO, the area is still not as nice as Franklin, Brentwood or Green Hills in terms of amenities and nice homes.
Wouldn't say Monte Sano is like Green Hills. With Green Hills, I think of nice neighborhoods (a lot more McMansions then when I lived there 15 years ago), but I also think of up scale shopping and lots of traffic and crowds. Maybe some Madison neighborhoods near Bridge Street or the future Town Madison? Also maybe neighborhoods around Parkway Place.

Agree, Madison and Hampton Cove not as nice as a lot of Franklin, Brentwood or Green Hills, but much less traffic and seem to be continuing to add nice shopping options.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:25 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Wouldn't say Monte Sano is like Green Hills. With Green Hills, I think of nice neighborhoods (a lot more McMansions then when I lived there 15 years ago), but I also think of up scale shopping and lots of traffic and crowds. Maybe some Madison neighborhoods near Bridge Street or the future Town Madison? Also maybe neighborhoods around Parkway Place.

Agree, Madison and Hampton Cove not as nice as a lot of Franklin, Brentwood or Green Hills, but much less traffic and seem to be continuing to add nice shopping options.
I was just thinking the old money, larger home portions of Green Hills, closer to the Chickering Lane area. I guess there are a few areas within Green Hills, but I agree with what you posted.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:33 PM

944 posts, read 1,185,697 times
Don't forget Lake Forest...if you are not planning on having kids, LF is a great subdivision and houses are generally cheaper than Madison, since it is in a Huntsville zip code, & you'll find plenty of 3-4000 sq ft homes - not really far from anything, about a 15+ minute drive in all and any direction. It is well kept and quiet, pool & clubhouse. (AFIK, nothing older than 12 years old) We chose it because of proximity of hubby's work and not dependent on schools. (His commute is a whopping 1.6 miles)

There are local non-chain restaurants, just have to look for them...Nick's serves a mean bone-in 22 oz rib-eye, Sam and Greg's an excellent pizza and Commerce Kitchen has the best Shrimp'n'grits around!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:53 PM

11 posts, read 23,566 times
I guess what I meant was old established large homes area - I like some of the newer homes but the open concept seems to be very difficult for furniture placement.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:00 PM

944 posts, read 1,185,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLABLOVER View Post
I guess what I meant was old established large homes area - I like some of the newer homes but the open concept seems to be very difficult for furniture placement.
Our house is 2 years old and we don't have an open concept...we picked a one story, mainly 'cause we're getting "old and decrepit" and don't want stairs - everything is divided off nicely. Talk to one of the realtors on here that knows the area well and the builders/homes, they'll be able to steer you in the right direction & area - ours is/was fabulous and if you want the name, let me know

Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,517 times
I'm a TN native and lived in both Franklin & Nashville and visit pretty regularly b/c of friends & family.

There is nothing in this area like Green Hills, unfortunately. The closest to Green HIlls, in terms of close-in neighborhood & nicer older homes, would be Jones Valley area. The lots in Jones Valley are larger and quite wooded, and the homes are more traditional (i.e. not open concept). Most of them need renovations, however. The ones that have been renovated or are newer are pricier, but you might find what you want in your price range...just have to look.

I live in Madison, and there are subdivisions galore, a la Franklin, except Madison doesn't have much of a downtown at ALL. Certainly nothing like Franklin. Two of the nicer subdivisions that are, I think, on par with Brentwood are Highland Lakes (off Slaughter Rd) and Clifts Cove (off Hughes Rd). Waterford, off County Line Rd, and Foxfield, off Balch Rd, would give a Franklin/Brentwood feel as well. But they are subdivisions, not "neighborhoods" like Green Hills. (FYI....we are currently building a 4300 sq ft home in Madison....you can PM me if interested)

If you don't & won't ever have kids, you might not want to pay the premium on real estate in Madison (for the schools). As someone else mentioned, Lake Forest is a GREAT neighborhood/subdivision with GREAT amenities and you'll get more bang for your buck there than in Madison. (the exact house we're building is about $50k less in Lake Forest than in Madison) But Lake Forest is by no means in a Green Hills/Franklin/Brentwood. But what it does have going for it is convenient location. The downside of that is construction ongoing to the main road that leads to that area (Zierdt Rd).

HSV is LOT smaller than Nashville, much more comparable to Knoxville. But not a college town feel.

I hope that helps you some. If you have any specific questions, PM me.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:30 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
I agree with TN2HSV, Jones Valley is going to be the most comparable to Green Hills area ....there are some very NICE homes but nothing like some of the palatial homes around Green Hills, but a highly desirable area. Its a nice, upscale, established area close to downtown with great shopping in close proximity. Blossomwood as well, it adjoins Jones Valley. Look at the Greenwycke neighborhood and areas off Garth Road.

Madison is going to be more like Brentwood/Franklin in that it is an outlying community, but that is about it. We are nowhere near what Franklin or Brentwood are. Homes are going to be newer, more modern, lots tend to be smaller but in that price range you would be looking at many homes with estate sized lots towards the top end of your budget. Some areas in the east part of Madison are much more established while the west side is all new growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area