Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,487 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to relocate to Madison, AL or Huntsville, AL from Tennessee later this year. The plan is to rent and then buy a house. I think I'd rather live in Madison but I'm not sure. It seems like Madison has the better school system. Is that the general consensus? It also seems it's cheaper to build than to buy right now. Are there any builders you would recommend? I'm looking for homes that have character, good standard features, but which are not grossly overpriced. Here are examples of the look for which I'm aiming.
http://www.newregencyhomes.com/rolli...ows-floorplans

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,517 times
HI there, and welcome

I'm also a Tennessean who moved to the area 3 years ago. I have 3 children at home, and we live in Madison b/c of the schools. There ARE some good HSV city schools, but they are in the midst of some zoning drama right now that has been ongoing & everyone is waiting to see how that all shakes out. With Madison, all the schools are good. Yes, some of the elementary schools may be better than others, but they all feed into great middle & high schools...Liberty/James Clemens on the west side and Discovery/Bob Jones on the east side.

You'll find quite a few builders who have home plans similar to those in your link. The other thing you see a LOT of in the HSV area is craftsman style. It does depend on your price range, of course, and be prepared to pay a premium for Madison. There is tons of new construction in both Madison and various areas of HSV. The look of the homes & neighborhood that would match up closest to those in your link would be McMullen Cove. IT's an absolutely gorgeous area & community on the opposite side of HSV from Madison. Lake Forest (also in HSV, close to Redstone) has a mix of homes & builders and is a beautiful community. But you can find the "style" home you're going for in just about all parts of town. Woodland Homes builds a beautiful house, as does Jeff Benton, and others. We're currently building a new home in the Millstone neighborhood of Madison and have been nothing but pleased (so far) with Jeff Benton. Murphy homes has a pretty neighborhood in Madison called Greenbrier Woods. The exteriors definitely lean more Craftsman, though.

That being said, you CAN find gorgeous nearly-new resale homes, as this area is full of transplants in & out. Having recently sold a house myself, I can tell you that resale homes have a LOT of competition from new construction. So, I think bargains are to be had if you can find a resale home in the area you want, that has the space & features you need.

Here's a link to the Jeff Benton floorplans, to give you an idea. They build all over the area, in a variety of price ranges.
Floor Plans | Madison New Home For Sale | Jeff Benton Homes

Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 PM

493 posts, read 712,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Woodland Homes builds a beautiful house, as does Jeff Benton, and others. We're currently building a new home in the Millstone neighborhood of Madison and have been nothing but pleased (so far) with Jeff Benton. Murphy homes has a pretty neighborhood in Madison called Greenbrier Woods. The exteriors definitely lean more Craftsman, though.
I would also throw in Stoneridge Homes Stoneridge Homes Huntsville, AL | Custom Home Builders Huntsville and Madison County Alabama

They will have a lot to choose from in Madison with Cedar Acres, Stone Brook, Moore's Creek getting started: Our Communities | Stoneridge Homes Huntsville, AL | Custom Home Builders Huntsville and Madison County Alabama

Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 PM

493 posts, read 712,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
The look of the homes & neighborhood that would match up closest to those in your link would be McMullen Cove. IT's an absolutely gorgeous area & community on the opposite side of HSV from Madison.
I checked out the OP's link and thought the same thing...they remind of what Celebration Homes is building in McMullen Cove: Celebration Homes The Villages at McMullen Cove | Huntsville, AL - Celebration Homes

Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,487 times
Thanks to everyone for all of this helpful information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: