Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 PM

396 posts, read 664,581 times

Advertisements

I was concerned about safety when we moved here eleven years ago. I am amazed at how safe we feel. As stated before, stay out of certain neighborhoods. Downtown is very safe an delightfully pedestrian friendly.

It is unfortunate that Huntsville has a reputation of being unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:29 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,433,497 times
I lived in DC, the city, twice. I know how to walk in traffic. I would not cross Governors Drive with a stroller.

Come to think of it, there is a skyway over Governors at Gallatin (from hospital to hospital), but I've never seen anyone use it.

Downtown (OT and Twickenham) -is- delightfully pedestrian friendly. If you are interested in apartments there are some downtown and some by the hospital Publix (north of Governors).

Regulars here know that I'm a sidewalk fanatic and pro-pedestrian.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 5,889 times
I am very pro-walking too and pro-biking and really hate driving. Especially with my toddler in the back. I would not cross a big highway with a stroller though, just like that. We'll find a way to make it work
I am so relieved to hear the area is safe.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM

410 posts, read 695,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
No, there is not technically "pedestrian" crossings on Governors.
What is a painted crosswalk with electronic pedestrian "walk/don't walk" signs like there are at Whitesburg, Franklin, Gallatin, California and Harvard? The road is busy and you need to be cautious when crossing, but these are pedestrian crossings just like all crossings throughout downtown.

Give me that over Constitution Ave in DC any day!

Old 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Someone can cross in the pedestrian crossings but they need to walk quickly or sprint to get across the street. Can't do that with a stroller. Also, there are few sidewalks in the area (which may improve when the new construction is complete - or so the City Council says).

Next time you drive on Governors near the hospitals, look to see how many sidewalks there are. Or look from Vanderbilt (Medical District) up Madison to the Library, and count the sidewalks (trick question - there are none).

Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timber15 View Post
Yes, the prices are amazing. Here, it's 1500 for a one bedroom.
Thank you for your help, everyone.

Reactionary: you think I cannot cross Governors? Is there no pedestrian walk anywhere? According to gmaps, I should be able to cross it in some places.
Just know ahead of time... Huntsville is NOT a walking town. Only in immediate vicinities. When we first moved here it was kind of new to me to see a place (at the time) so spread out, no bus system and an absolutely dead downtown area. They have done much to work on that over the yrs. Yrs ago my youngest brother was trying to cross over Memorial Pkwy (the main N/S vein) to get to an arcade and was hit by a car. Spent a while in the hospital but thank God, all turned out pretty ok. There are really not many safe places to cross a lot of these main roads.
In some cities you can exist with no vehicle because of proximity to places you need to get to and good public transportation. This is not one of those places.
However, it will feel like heaven in most of the Hsv area to you after living in D.C.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 5,889 times
I am so sorry about your brother writerwife.
It also looks like we may need a second car, based on everyone's input

Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
Thanks. It's all good.. He's right as rain now (at least, as far as getting hit by the car, lol).
Most folks have 2 cars around here unless one of you is fairly housebound.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM

339 posts, read 628,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timber15 View Post
I am so sorry about your brother writerwife.
It also looks like we may need a second car, based on everyone's input
Yes, I definitely wouldn't expect to get by with one car around here. Especially as your baby gets older and you want to do more things with it (sorry didn't see a sex specified). There are definitely some fun things to do downtown that you may be able to walk to depending on where you live, but with no real public transport system, it's a lot different than DC.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 AM

Ack. I said "Next time you drive on Governors near the hospitals, look to see how many sidewalks there are". Well, I just did that and the city's recent construction efforts have resulted in sidewalks on both sides on Governors (for the most part - there is still a gap). Crossing Governors is inconvenient to hazardous - however the city seems to have extended the pedestrian crossing time to ~30 seconds at Governors and Madison / Whitesburg. People have to hurry across the street there, but don't have to sprint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area