Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 PM

9 posts, read 52,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonAtHeart View Post
My husband is in the Army and we are going to be stationed at Redstone Arsenal and I was wondering what it is like. Now I am from Washington, home of the green... and I am worried we won't like it! We like to do a lot of outdoor things like camp, fish, swim.... is there anything like that to do? What is the crime like? Here where we live (Everett, WA) it is not too bad but not great either.
I've been to Everett, WA several times. I like the Peninsula area in Washington. But North AL has all kinds of water recreation available, boating, skiing, fishing, etc. Lots of hiking, especially on Monte Sano Mountain nearby. Lake Guntersville is only about 45 minutes away and it is gorgeous. Doesn't rain as much in AL as in WA. The winter season is mild compared to many areas up north, but probably not as moderate as Everett. The crime is very low, unless you venture into a few "don't go" areas. Alabama is nothing like what you see portrayed about it on TV and in the movies. Huntsville, after all, built the rocket that put man into space (and on the moon). There are more engineers and master's degrees (per capita) in Madison, County (Huntsville) than just about any other area in the nation. I really think you will like North Alabama. A great place to look for a house would be the East Limestone area--about 15 minutes west of Huntsville. Lots of great new housing developments there--quiet, virtually no serious crime. More house for the $ than in Huntsville, too. There are several excellent private schools that serve Redstone Arsenal. Madison Academy, Faith Christian Academy, and Valley Fellowship Christian Academy come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 52,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonAtHeart View Post
This is going to sound really girly...but what are the spiders and other insects like? I am terrified of spiders and I hear they are big down there!!
What is the humidity like? I am not used to any at all. Seattle area is NOT humid.
Spiders? Well, yeah, we got 'em, but seldom hear of anyone having close contact with them. Either get your husband to spray for insects or hire a pest control guy to do monthly treatments in the house and around the landscaping nearby. That gets rid of most of them. Spiders like to hide in warm, dark, unoccupied places--old garages, sheds, barns, etc. Not common in modern houses and apartments, especially if you take the steps mentioned aforehand. I've lived here 60 years and never had any close encounters with spiders. Same with tornados. During the summer, the most pesky insect is the mosquito, which can virtually "eat you alive" during outside evening encounters. Screens or good insect repellant recommended (no, required).
Humidity--it's real. From about June to September, the heat + humidity is about as bad as anywhere I've been. Kind of like Florida. Get used to it gradually.

Last edited by E.D. Wordsmith; 03-18-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: add answer to a question that I forgot

Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 4,364 times
Default Looking for good schools

My family and I are moving to the Huntsville area. I have a son going into H.S. Which of the Huntsville area city schools are the best? I looked into the Randolph private school. Way too expensive for use. The Madison Academy is more affordable, but I was wondering about the public schools? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerah1958 View Post
My family and I are moving to the Huntsville area. I have a son going into H.S. Which of the Huntsville area city schools are the best? I looked into the Randolph private school. Way too expensive for use. The Madison Academy is more affordable, but I was wondering about the public schools? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
There are three school systems in Hsv area (reasonable commute to RSA).

1.Hsv City Schools
2.Madison City Schools
3.Madison County

Use greatschools.org (plug these districts to see the school list) or schooldigger.com to have a visual of the test scores (rating, ranking (in the state) respectively)

Hsv city schools has 2 top performing HS: Grissom and Hsv High (also crowded, Grissom has portables outside). Others not only perform poorly, but are under capacity. With the budget constraints, people reasonably expect something will be done (consolidating, rezoning) ..or NOT
Also in Hsv City there is an IB program at New Century Demo (located at Columbia High)

Madison City currently has one HS , and a good one (also crowded), another one is scheduled to open (I think 2012, but don't quote me on that-they just secured the money)

Madison County has Buckhorn, and Sparkman.

I would suggest schooldigger to see the performance for the past 5 yrs or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area