Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:10 AM

414 posts, read 400,102 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Madison in April. I prefer a subdivision as well. i absolutely love the location, amenities and conveniences. However, I may not stay in this location long. This subdivision is under the path of air traffic headed for the nearby airport. You should visit your considered about noon time when it seems to be busiest in the sky or ask neighbors. If you come from a quiet area, this noise is pretty annoying- planes fly pretty low - and also I would not like to be in this path should an accident occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
I just moved to Madison in April. I prefer a subdivision as well. i absolutely love the location, amenities and conveniences. However, I may not stay in this location long. This subdivision is under the path of air traffic headed for the nearby airport. You should visit your considered about noon time when it seems to be busiest in the sky or ask neighbors. If you come from a quiet area, this noise is pretty annoying- planes fly pretty low - and also I would not like to be in this path should an accident occur.
We live under the same flight path . Honestly, you get used to it after a while. Not like HSV is ATL or anything....THAT would be unbearable. There are several flights that land between 6 & 8, and I guess there's another wave around Noon. But it's not that big of a deal (to us) except for when the BIG cargo planes come in and those do get really loud, but that's not every day.

One place I lived in Tennessee, I was in "the" part of town where everyone wanted to live and it was a very nice neighborhood. The first night we laid down to go to sleep, the TRAIN woke us up I don't know how many times . I thought Oh no, what have we done???? But after a while you didn't even hear it. We had no idea it would be so loud where we were because it didn't seem close to any tracks, but it was! LOL..

And the flight path obviously doesn't affect property values bc some of the nicest neighborhoods in Madison are in the same flight path.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:39 AM

I suppose one can get used to it, but I have not decided that the noise is environmentally/ emotionally healthy if that makes any sense. I am going to study the impact of the noise on health. One thing that I very much miss is the chirping of birds. Where are the squirrels? Does all of this noise frighten them away? I used to be puzzled when folks visited me in my former home and marveled on how quiet it was. Now I understand. Part of the noise in this house comes from regular traffic in the street and I live in a cul-de-sac. Watching homes being built in the neighborhood there is just a thin plastic like barrier behind the brick. So though the home is lovely in appearance and in a pretty desirable neighborhood, I may be in the market soon for an older home (more solid?) in a quieter location.

As it relates to property values, the schools are great and that likely trumps the noise (that newcomers are unaware of anyway).

Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 AM

Apologies - I have been off topic a bit. Out of the three- and I looked at all of the areas being considered by the OP, I like and purchased in Madison. Suggest looking in an established neighborhood.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
I suppose one can get used to it, but I have not decided that the noise is environmentally/ emotionally healthy if that makes any sense. I am going to study the impact of the noise on health. One thing that I very much miss is the chirping of birds. Where are the squirrels? Does all of this noise frighten them away? I used to be puzzled when folks visited me in my former home and marveled on how quiet it was. Now I understand. Part of the noise in this house comes from regular traffic in the street and I live in a cul-de-sac. Watching homes being built in the neighborhood there is just a thin plastic like barrier behind the brick. So though the home is lovely in appearance and in a pretty desirable neighborhood, I may be in the market soon for an older home (more solid?) in a quieter location.

As it relates to property values, the schools are great and that likely trumps the noise (that newcomers are unaware of anyway).
I think you live in a Jeff Benton neighborhood (Crown Pointe?) if I remember discussions correctly.

We're building our house in Millstone, and no, there isn't just a plastic barrier between the brick & framing. The entire house is sheathed in plywood, then the moisture barrier is wrapped around that, THEN the brick. We've visited our house DAILY since they started digging out the footers so we know exactly what is behind the brick.

Birds & squirrels aren't scared off by the noise. You dont' see them because you probably don't have any sizable trees. The neighborhood where we are renting (Heritage Provence off county line rd) is a little older and has more mature trees, and we have more birds than we WANT! LOL... I can hear them at all times of day AND night. It's crazy. So if you need a bird fix, come on over to Heritage Provence

Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM

I stand corrected! LOL -about the birds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: