Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:25 PM

114 posts, read 602,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUsky View Post
I moved here from atlanta and this city really sucks. The people here do not know how to drive. and the crime is pretty bad. Cars being broken in to for cd's. Homes being robbed, and shoot outs inside TGI friday to name the worst.
NUsky, your post is laughable. I am not totally crazy about Huntsville, but for anyone who has driven around ATL and seen the all the drivers from hell, your remark about Huntsville drivers is totally insane. And how can you even talk about Huntsville crime with a straight face? Atlanta's crime, traffic, and urban sprawl make it a horrible place to live; HSV is like paradise in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 AM

485 posts, read 1,455,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUsky View Post
The people here do not know how to drive. and the crime is pretty bad. Cars being broken in to for cd's. Homes being robbed, and shoot outs inside TGI friday to name the worst.
There was a news piece yesterday on the national news about how crime had increased just about everywhere. They were focusing on Indianapolis in particular, but said it was nationwide. They put the blame on Homeland Security taking police emphasis away from Hometown Security. They also tied it to the increased prevalence of guns everywhere. However, I must agree with a previous poster that it is ludicrus to say that either driving or crime is worse in Huntsville than in Atlanta.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 PM

44 posts, read 230,026 times
Default Huntsvegas

Huntsville is one of the safest cities I know of. In know way does it compare to Birmingham or Atlanta or New Orleans or Detroit or Miami or Knoxville or Nashville or Chattanooga or Mobile. Forget about it.
AND I'm downtown every weekend. House of Brews, Jazz Factory, Philby's Pourhouse, Sammy's, Kafeklatsche, Judge Craters (tavern under the square) Humphrey's, all in walking distance of each other. Sikes is building a european cocktail bar and a muscial venue/club/bar and a sports bar all downtown. There is also a developer bringing entertainment and restaurants to the west of the VBC downtown, where the Heart of Huntsville Mall used to be. Also the new Summit office building will have a restaurant on the top floor over looking the lake/park. Now all of this is downtown, there are tons of more bars and pool halls and clubs points south north east and west of downtown, so you find what you like and do your thing guy. Also BRIDGE STREET, google that friggin development in Research Park, forget about it. Huntsville's on the up and up.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,232 times
Concerning the TGI Friday shooting several days ago here in Huntsville, 4 days later the news still has stories about it with updates on the condition of the three people who were injured. A similar story in Atlanta would have been mentioned once midway through the nightly news on the day it happened (maybe) and never mentioned again. I grew up in Atlanta and still have family there that I visit frequently so I know this to be the case.

I saw something this morning that demonstrates the low crime in this area. As I drove out of my subdivision on to the major road, I saw that someone had put a nice looking bike with a for sale sign at the corner. It was not chained in any way so the owner must have been a very trusting soul!

Old 12-31-2006, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom07 View Post
thats good to hear, because im not used to buying everything at wal-mart. lol
Currently under construction is the Bridge Street Project which, so they say, when fiinished will have a huge mall. Right now it seems they cannot decide what stores are coming but names like JJ Jill, Cache, Coldwater Creek and other stores have been mentioned. I think we will just have to wait until the mall is open and see what exactly opens up.

As for things to do, there is quite a bit if you just look. As well as UAH hockey there is minor league professional hockey at the VBC. There is also HAHA which has a very good hockey program for kids and adults alike. The SOL (Senior Open League) is very popular although at times they have to play late at the weekend because of lack of ice.

If you are into volunteering then I highly recommend Panoply. The Arts festival for kids. It's a lot of fun and one way to get to know people. You can also volunteer for Big Spring Jam which takes place in September.

There have been complaints in the past that if you are single and mid to late 20's there is little to do, but I think that is slowly changing with the influx of younger people being transferred with the new jobs.

Overall, I think the quality of life is very good. When I hear of my friends up North paying a month for property tax what I pay a year (or more) and of the cold and snow, I thank God that I only have to put up with a few weeks of humidty. lololol

I have travelled around to several places with my husband whose company are often looking to relocate and we always come back to Huntsville. Compared to a lot of other cities, it is far more friendlier. I actually live out near the Madison/Limestone County line and love it.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:02 PM

31 posts, read 174,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom07 View Post
hey how are you guys doing, im doing a little bit of research about Huntsville because my employer is about to build a new center in the Cummings Research Park. I have a few questions about the city before i really make my choice on whether to do the relocation or not, but let me give you a little background about me first: Im a 23 y/o male with no kids, heck no girlfriend either so im not really worried about housing prices or school systems at this point because i will be renting an apartment if i moved down there.. im currently located in Detroit, MI which of course is a much more populated area than Huntsville, but do you guys have some of the same things as larger cities just on a smaller scale? I have been doing some research and the economy looks to be in great shape unlike up here in MI so that is strong selling point of course.. But to wrap this up.. how do you think the average 21-25 y/o would enjoy Huntsville? Is there a vibrant downtown? Also how diverse is the area, im african american and so is 95% of Detroit as well, so whats the ratio in the Huntsville area.. Thanks in advance

I moved to Huntsville from NYC and I loved it. Move to South huntsville, you'll love it. You can study quietly but still party on the weekends. Huntsville has lots to offer.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,985 times
Its a culture shock. Its a nice place to live if you are settled. There is not really a lot to do for a young black male being a young black female i know. you can only go to the movies and out to eat so many times. but A&M does sponsor a few events throughout the year that may be interesting to you. Coming from detroit though...will be a big culture shock for you. However, take a chance and see what opportunites may come. That's what life is all about. Good luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:45 PM

36 posts, read 148,754 times
Default what about recreation?

Huntsville sounds good, with possible jobs for me and good schools, but what about recreation? How does it compare with Chattanooga for outdoor activities, especially trails, mountain biking and other outdoor activities?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,219 times
Everyone seems to have hit on the nightlife and under 30 aspects of your relo, so I'll tell you a little about race relations in Huntsville, at least from a white girl's perspective. Racism is alive and well, of course, as it is in every city in America. You'll find it particularly bad in certain communities in "the county" outside of the metro area. But the people in Huntsville proper by and large are not racist and do not tolerate racism. Most of the people I know see racism as a by-product of a lack of ignorance. It is simply not tolerated. Most of Huntsville is originally from somewhere else, courtesy of Redstone Arsenal and NASA, and tolerance of outsiders of any race is very high for the South.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
Default Huntsville Response

Just for credibility, I'm 21 and moving back to Huntsville upon graduation this coming May. I grew up in Huntsville my entire life and feel like I know it inside and out. I've already landed a job in Research Park and am in the process of trying to find a place to live myself in the Madison or downtown area.

With that said....I couldn't be more excited to get back to Huntsville. I wasn't planning on coming back, but coincidentally, the company that hired me is doing the Bridge Street project in Research Park. When this project is complete (hoping for retail openings beginning in September) Huntsville will be on the map in regards to shopping, dining, and hotel accomodations; just as Nashville and Atlanta are. I urge you to check out the website for the project. http://www.bridgestreethuntsville.com/ The first Westin hotel in the state of Alabama will be on-site as well as a movie theater and that comes straight from Los Angeles.

You will be able to get a whole lot more house with less money than most places North of Tennessee. As for any lingering problems you may be wondering about when it comes to race (I disagree with Notfromaroundhere) I don't feel it is a problem. The city is predominately white, but I'd be willing to say that 95% of the city are professionals. Whether your are white, African American, or from any foreign place, the city has an abundance of opportunity that I have not seen matched in any location I have studied or traveled too. Every city has its poorer sectors and Huntsville is not immune to this, but it is very small. I could probably name the few locations on one hand. I hope this helps, I'm excited about moving back which is probably the reason for the detail above. Good luck, keep the questions coming if you have them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area