Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 28,337 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon,

I am in the process of checking out condos and homes in the Huntsville area, and because I am doing it from a distance, I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice. I am looking for modest homes, because I will be buying from the proceeds of the sale of my present home. However, I do want clean, safe areas to live in.

I noticed
a really cute home located on Lisa Michelle Drive in Huntsville, but I am not sure what that neighborhood is like. Does anyone know whether this is on the same time of town as University Drive?

Does anyone know the crime stats for this area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:02 PM

445 posts, read 770,428 times
Lisa Michelle is off of Winchester rd near the Alabama A & M campus. I guess I would consider it ok..most of Winchester east of the parkway is good. Its about 5 miles from University dr.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
You will find most of Huntsville are clean & safe. There are only pockets of neighborhoods not so desirable. But combining your criteria with "modest" pricings, you'll find great numbers of homes & neighborhoods in Huntsville.

If I may suggest you narrow your search criteria such as school district quality, mountain view vs wide open spaces, commuting distance, rural vs down town, etc.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:17 PM

493 posts, read 712,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcinatlanta View Post
Good Afternoon,

I am in the process of checking out condos and homes in the Huntsville area, and because I am doing it from a distance, I am hoping that someone can give me some good advice. I am looking for modest homes, because I will be buying from the proceeds of the sale of my present home. However, I do want clean, safe areas to live in.

I noticed a really cute home located on Lisa Michelle Drive in Huntsville, but I am not sure what that neighborhood is like. Does anyone know whether this is on the same time of town as University Drive?

Does anyone know the crime stats for this area?

Thanks!
I would look at the Madison area. I looked up Lisa Michele Drive and found a home priced at $119,900?

There is a subdivision off of County Line Road in the Madison area called "Copperfield" that has affordable homes. It's not in Madison city limits but the other subdivisions that surround it are and those subdivisions have more expensive homes than Copperfield so it's in a nice area. Part of Copperfield was also just recently connected to a new subdivision called "West Haven" which has homes that are much more expensive than the homes in Copperfield. Most of the homes in Copperfield were built in the 1990's so they aren't extremely old. Copperfield has a Madison, 35756 address but it is not in the Madison city schools district.

Adams Homes has some brand new full brick homes off of Zierdt Road in a subdivision called "Savannah" and those start at $129,900 118 Pitts Griffin Drive, Madison, AL | MLS 1010422 | Listing Information | Valley MLS Savannah is not in Madison city limits either but it IS Madison city schools: Savannah Homes for Sale in Huntsville, AL - Adams Homes

Further down Zierdt Road from the Savannah subdivision there is another subdivision that still has new construction available called "Towne Lakes" by Breland/D.R. Horton builders. New Homes in Towne Lakes | Madison, Alabama | D.R. Horton However prices there start at $139,900 so it's a little higher than Savannah. D.R. Horton is now only building their "Express Homes" on the remaining lots in Towne Lakes so they also are not as nice as what Breland originally built in there. D.R. Horton just recently brought in their "Express Homes" plans to this area. Towne Lakes is also zoned for Madison city schools but again not in Madison city limits.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 AM

Thank you. My preference, if I could have one would be Jones Valley

Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 AM

Your suggestions have been great. Thank you so much

Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 AM

Thank you so much. Your suggestions are great! I appreciate them, and will check out the areas you mention.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
If you like Jones Valley, just go a little south down Bailey Cove and you can find some very affordable houses AND condos/townhomes in that area, and you are just a few minutes from Jones Valley proper. Really nice area and prices drop significantly from Jones Valley yet you are still in that general area. The further south you go, the more bang for your buck. If you move to the west side of the Parkway, it gets even more affordable there and with the new Grissom High being built in that area, I think we'll see a nice boost in values.

If you are searching by zip codes, search 35801, 35802, and 35803 (35801 is most "north" and you move south from there with 35803 being the most southern zip).

I would look at Bailey Cove Estates....not sure what price range is "modest" to you but there is typically a nice range there, from the low $100's and up into the $200's and it is literally a minute from the center of Jones Valley.

If you really like Jones Valley, Madison might not appeal to you. Madison is dominated by newer subdivisions and can have a more cookie cutter feel, while the Jones Valley/South HSV area is more established neighborhoods. Just a completely different feel. Madison is great (I live here), but typically doesn't have the appeal to those who really like that Jones Valley/South HSV area unless they are heavily looking at schools...which both have great schools.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 07-19-2015 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 08:57 AM

38 posts, read 41,079 times
We love Madison!

Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 PM

152 posts, read 240,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremadisonresident View Post
We love Madison!
Maybe it's time to change your username to "currentmadisonresident"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: