Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:23 AM

21 posts, read 51,052 times

Advertisements

Already have new frames and a prescription, just need to find a location to get the lenses filled.

Online really isn't an option since these are progressive lenses and I need the PD (Pupillary Distance) and SH (Segment Height) measured in relation to the frames, etc.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:04 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,763,444 times
Costco is my go-to place. Of course, membership required. I've also used Target Optical and have not been disappointed.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:08 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,079,628 times
I also have progressive lens and need a new script but, the last time, I was keeping my frames and just wanted new lenses and I had a helluva time finding anyone that would really just do the lens and not charge about a full charge if you were not getting the exam and frames there. I ended up getting it at the same place I had been, Marx Optical in Decatur (for the last time). I've heard good things about Sam's Club on S. Pkwy from a few folk and the doc there did actually catch a medical condition in my mom's eyes that she had been unaware of. I'm going there.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 PM

944 posts, read 1,175,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I also have progressive lens and need a new script but, the last time, I was keeping my frames and just wanted new lenses and I had a helluva time finding anyone that would really just do the lens and not charge about a full charge if you were not getting the exam and frames there. I ended up getting it at the same place I had been, Marx Optical in Decatur (for the last time). I've heard good things about Sam's Club on S. Pkwy from a few folk and the doc there did actually catch a medical condition in my mom's eyes that she had been unaware of. I'm going there.
I have progressives and I want to use my old frames as well...the eye doc we go to expensive to say the least, but...they are good - I was wondering if we could just get the exam done there and go somewhere else to get the new lenses

Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
I have progressives and I want to use my old frames as well...the eye doc we go to expensive to say the least, but...they are good - I was wondering if we could just get the exam done there and go somewhere else to get the new lenses
I really couldn't find anyone that would do that and give me a decent deal. Granted, I didn't call everyone but quite a few.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:13 PM

266 posts, read 392,338 times
Get your script filled at Costco. You can bring your own frames, they do charge you a 19 dollar pattern fee for using your own frame. The amount of money you save will more than make up for the cost of a membership if you are not a member.

I bought my progressive lens at Costco and I brought my own frames.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:30 AM

944 posts, read 1,175,198 times
Sounds like a good deal!! I might go get my eyes tested and bring prescription to Costco - I want to renew our membership anyway

Old 08-02-2015, 07:25 AM

That is good. I did let my costco membership die as I was only in there 2 times in a yr and half. This time I do want new frames but good to know future reference.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:03 AM

414 posts, read 396,035 times
I got my last prescription filled at Costco's including purchasing frames. The frames are good quality at a reasonable price and the service is very good, even after the purchase - adjustments, etc. and even cleaning them nicely. Thanks Cyngreek for reminding me, as I am in a new location and will need to fill a prescription this week.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:18 AM

468 posts, read 901,265 times
I get my prescription / check up at Sams (alternating every other year with Costco).
Then I go to eyebuydirect.com to get my glasses or to visiondirect.com for contacts.
Both sites will call your doctor to check if your 'prescription' is still valid (required by state law).

I have progressives etc... so I make sure I get all the 'numbers' from the doctor ... then go online.
I measure the papillary distance on my own using a ruler and a mirror.

I have done this for everyone in my family for the last 4 years. Saves me a ton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area