Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:36 AM

52 posts, read 78,223 times

Advertisements

Well, if I don't need to overseed with Rye for the winter, I won't complain about missing out on that expense/effort. I don't really mind the lawn going brown for the winter.

What about the Winter Weed & Feed fertilizer/weed killer that I'm seeing around Home Depot and Lowes? Is that worth doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
IF you have bermuda, then you really don't need to fertilize it. Try to find a weedkiller / pre-ermergent product.

Here's a pre-emergent with a little bit of potassium (the K in NPK - if bermuda you don't need Nitrogen - the N - which will green up the grass):

LESCO 50 lb. Crabgrass Control 0-0-7-052388 - The Home Depot

Here's a broadleaf herbicide with pre-emerge (aka crabgrass preventer):

Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns Plus Crabgrass Preventer with 10.8 lb. Granules-HG-75832 - The Home Depot

PS - while lawn is brown you can try to kill the green stuff - you can apply round-up to weeds / unwelcome grasses while the bermuda is dormant.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:03 PM

52 posts, read 78,223 times
Speaking of the lawn going brown, when do you guys stop watering/winterize your sprinkler systems?

And who would you recommend for winterizing the sprinkler system? How much should it cost?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:49 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Bermuda will start going dormant late October/early November. You could go ahead and winterize your sprinkler system then...you want to do it before we get extreme cold weather and the ground freezes. A plumbing company or landscaping company that does irrigation systems can do it for you....the last time I checked on price it was about $150-$200 if I remember correctly.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 AM

442 posts, read 647,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Bermuda will start going dormant late October/early November. You could go ahead and winterize your sprinkler system then...you want to do it before we get extreme cold weather and the ground freezes. A plumbing company or landscaping company that does irrigation systems can do it for you....the last time I checked on price it was about $150-$200 if I remember correctly.
Wow, for $200.00 I will keep doing it myself.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:49 AM

12,978 posts, read 9,501,161 times
For what it's worth, I've had my irrigation system about 20 years and have never winterized it. I'm on a sloped lot (back to front) and the water (hopefully) drains toward the meter in the front. So far I've not had a problem with broken pipes. I turn the water off at the meter during the winter months but do not blow the standing water out of the pipes. I've had a couple control valves to go bad, causing leaks at a sprinkler head, but I think that's just from wear-out and not freezing.

The irrigation companies will tell you that this is bad practice but it could be they're just trying to sell a service. An abundance of caution would say to winterize, however.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:34 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
In Colorado, where it is necessary, it is only about $75.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:13 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
In Colorado, where it is necessary, it is only about $75.
Don't they just bleed the irrigation system (of any remaining water)?

1. Turn off water at the sprinkler main.
2. Turn on each zone for a few minutes.
3. Fix/replace any broken sprinkler heads.

Am I missing something else?

Old 09-16-2015, 09:32 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
Don't they just bleed the irrigation system (of any remaining water)?

1. Turn off water at the sprinkler main.
2. Turn on each zone for a few minutes.
3. Fix/replace any broken sprinkler heads.

Am I missing something else?
They use a compressor to blow out the lines.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 AM

468 posts, read 907,336 times
One more question...

So I have put down some late summer (early fall) fertilizer.
I still have lots of weeds --- primarily crabgrass and maybe quack grass.

I am not sure if I should treat the weeds now ... or just mow and let them die off when the bermuda turns brown in November (when the frost comes) - and then just put pre-emergent.

What is the right thing to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area