Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times

Advertisements

I attended the kickoff 'Friends of the Preserve and Sanctuary' meeting this evening. The speaker was Dr. Doug Phillips, UAT Professor and host of APT's 'Discovering Alabama' (awesome TV show) - here's a taste:

Quote:
63. Flint River. Across the nation today, numerous rivers and streams are being encroached upon by sprawling growth and development. Such is the case with a beautiful mountain-fed stream in north Alabama. The Flint has historically been surrounded by hardwood forests and abundant wildlife. Today, the accelerating growth in Madison county and surrounding areas is rapidly robbing the Flint of its special natural qualities. In this show, host Doug Phillips floats the Flint River from near its mountainous headwaters to its juncture with the Tennessee River. Along the way, interviews with various experts and local residents help to highlight the impressive history of the Flint and the pressing changes that threaten the river today.
Discovering Alabama

Dr. Phillips' commended HSV for "cutting edge" environmental preservation and stated that HSV was a "model" for preservation nationwide. Kudos for us and much love to Mike Dalen, who is one of the coolest people in town (Land Trust and Sierra Club big wheel, helped start Forever Wild, lives out by zenjenn).

Forever Wild expires in 2012. Dr. Phillips advocates that Forever Wild be re-Constitutionalized (my words) and expanded to incorporate a Statewide comprehensive survey and preservation plan (currently lacking). He also advocates that environmental education be included next time, to 'tie' the next generation of Alabamians to our natural heritage.

Quote:
The Forever Wild Program was established in 1992, by constitutional amendment, to provide for the purchase of public recreational lands.
Alabama’s Forever Wild Program

As I said, the meeting was to kickoff the Friends of the Preserve and Sanctuary (on the Flint at US431). It's a city park, but they need support. Memberships start at $35.

City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama *** (http://www.huntsvillepreserves.com/ - broken link)

"Learning center set for Hays Preserve"

al.com: Everything Alabama

Sorry for the long post, but I love me some Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area