Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I would also recommend checking out Guntersville.
Guntersville is a little bit outside his stated commute range of 30-40 minutes. Takes closer to an hour to get to Huntsville. But it is a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Guntersville is a little bit outside his stated commute range of 30-40 minutes. Takes closer to an hour to get to Huntsville. But it is a nice area.
what if you go by boat ?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:15 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
If you go by boat, locking through the dam may slow you down a bit.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:35 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
He said "not much more than 30-40 minutes." It all depends on what part of Guntersville and what part of Huntsville. It is about 40 minutes from Guntersville downtown to Huntsville downtown give or take a few minutes with normal traffic (I drive 431 regularly). You can take Cecil Ashburn Rd and hop across the mountain from Hampton Cove and be at Parkway Place mall in about the same amount of time. You can take Hobbs Island Rd. from New Hope and be on South Parkway in about the same amount of time.

I just made the suggestion because it is a place where someone who is retired mike would like to live. There are also quite a number of restaurants in Guntersville along with outdoor activities and the lake.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 9,178 times
Default Many thanks for all the suggestions

Wife and I are returning to the Huntsville area end of this month for another look. Didnd't get to see much on last visit due to time constraints. Stopped by the rocket center, which was closed.
We will check out all suggestions offered here.

I was a little concerned by what I saw in the nothern suburbs, or maybe more acurately in the spaces between Huntsville and the northern suburbs. A lot of yellow lot marking tape and new subdivisions springing up everywhere. Sprawl. Saw much the same thing the short time I did contract work in Atlanta. Had some coleages who told me they had to move 2 to 3 times outward from the city to try and avoid the sprawl.

We would like to avoid subdivisions if at all possible and idealy a rural house or cabin with some privacy. I''m a biker so motorcycling is my main hobby and can't wait to get to warmer climes. We continue to have a mild winter in Ohio this May Temps yesterday as low as 38 degrees.

A few good restaurants within 5 - 10 miles and I'm good. Travel farther for more extensive entertainment.
Always felt at home in Bama. Graduate of Troy. Looking forward to another visit.

Gerry

Old 05-15-2016, 01:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
Arab is a good choice as well as Gurley out to the east and even more so New Market/Meridianville or Hazel Green up north of Huntsville .. you just don't want to go west young man ... now all the Madison and Athens lovers will disprove my comment ... HA!!!
And Decatur.
No, don't check out any of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider13 View Post
We would like to avoid subdivisions if at all possible and idealy a rural house or cabin with some privacy.
Then say good-bye to reliable or fast internet.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider13 View Post
Had some coleages who told me they had to move 2 to 3 times outward from the city to try and avoid the sprawl.
Isn't that kind of the definition of sprawl?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:30 PM

djmaxwell YEP as you traveled away from Atlanta all you saw was that orange clay as it was being torn up for new development. Pass on that.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:33 PM

Southlander. I can do a neighborhood. What I am trying to avoid is that cookie cutter, Levittown kind of deal. I any case I can always up for satellite...even given its drawbacks re throttling etc.
Here in central OHio there are many subdivisions, that look exactly like Army barracks

So any concerns in the Huntsvile area about the tainted water I've been hearing about ?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,574,422 times
what tainted water this isnt Flint. Huntsville/Madison county has some of the best water and water treatment plants anywhere.

https://www.hsvutil.org/learning-center/212-2/

City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama *** HuntsvilleAL.gov

You will either love this city or you wont, but like anywhere you get out of any region what you put in or get involved in.
Huntsville isn't the best but it is better than most places. One thing for sure the region isn't sitting still and has more visionaries and doers than any place you will find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area