Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM

39 posts, read 92,118 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find out what size torpedo heater to get for a uninsulated 2.5 car garage.

Anyone want to share what kind (propane or kerosene) and Btu they have and how long it takes to heat up a garage on a day it is around 50° outside and get the garage close to 70°?
Guesstimate on how much fuel to keep it at that temp for 6-8 hours.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 09:49 AM

69 posts, read 93,463 times
I have a 2.5 car garage as well and have had a kerosene bullet heater that worked well but stunk, it finally died and I got a small propane one, not sure of the BTU but it is one of the smaller ones, it doesn't have a thermostat but on high it will warm up a very cold garage in maybe 30 minutes so would think that at 50 it wouldn't take long to get to 70. As for fuel use it is not the most efficient and likes the propane so I would suggest maybe a large tank or two so you can swap them out, sorry not very informative but maybe that will help a little.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisc View Post
I have a 2.5 car garage as well and have had a kerosene bullet heater that worked well but stunk, it finally died and I got a small propane one, not sure of the BTU but it is one of the smaller ones, it doesn't have a thermostat but on high it will warm up a very cold garage in maybe 30 minutes so would think that at 50 it wouldn't take long to get to 70. As for fuel use it is not the most efficient and likes the propane so I would suggest maybe a large tank or two so you can swap them out, sorry not very informative but maybe that will help a little.

That does help, thanks
I did order a small 30000-60000 BTU that I will get a a few days.

New question if you or anyone else knows where are there refilling stations in or around Athens?

The tractor supply here don't do it. (maybe only in summer) I see a couple of places in Huntsville and Madison but might not be worth going that far for it.

I really don't want to use the propane exchange when they only give you 15 lbs and you had a 20lb tank.
Usually it is cheaper to refill it anyways plus they will top it off to the maximum allowable.

Thanks again

Old 01-01-2016, 01:39 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Costco is the cheapest place to get them refilled. For a 20lb cylinder it has been running around $7.50 to $8.00 or so to refill for over a year now.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:11 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
You may want to consider INSULATE your garage. It's cheaper & safer in the long run.

I put simple pink foam panels on my garage door and it raises temperature in my garage by 15 degrees in the winter time. It's also much cooler in the summer. So far my garage stays above 60 degrees without any heat, even when outside is ~30 degrees at night. The garage is attached to the house and receives heat from 2 walls. These foam panels are relatively inexpensive from big box stores.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 PM

218 posts, read 277,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You may want to consider INSULATE your garage. It's cheaper & safer in the long run.

I put simple pink foam panels on my garage door and it raises temperature in my garage by 15 degrees in the winter time. It's also much cooler in the summer. So far my garage stays above 60 degrees without any heat, even when outside is ~30 degrees at night. The garage is attached to the house and receives heat from 2 walls. These foam panels are relatively inexpensive from big box stores.
Insulating is a good idea, but it isn't going to replace adding heat in most cases.

I've got 1 walls adjacent to the house and the garage door with an R-8 insulation kit installed (equivalent to ~2" of foam board) and the garage was 52 degrees this morning. During cold stretches, it'll get near freezing. If I was staying in the house longer, I'd get some cellulose blown in the walls and above the garage, but I'd still need a heater to keep it 60 or above in the winter.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
Insulating is a good idea, but it isn't going to replace adding heat in most cases.

I've got 1 walls adjacent to the house and the garage door with an R-8 insulation kit installed (equivalent to ~2" of foam board) and the garage was 52 degrees this morning. During cold stretches, it'll get near freezing. If I was staying in the house longer, I'd get some cellulose blown in the walls and above the garage, but I'd still need a heater to keep it 60 or above in the winter.
Interesting.

I guess every garage is different. I should also add that in addition to 2 walls, it also has a bedroom above the garage. The foam boards I use are only 1/2 inch thick and has R3 - R5 value plus the door has windows on top which should increase heat loss, in addition my door faces north (don't get much from sun heating) yet I still get good insulation out of it. This morning it was 60 degree in the garage while outside was 38. Without insulation, my garage stays in the 40s during winter.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_dust View Post
You're using these types of heaters in a garage that is not VENTED ?? whoa...no way I would do that in my house. I might consider heat strips that have a blower, just to take the major chill off, but it's not like you're LIVING in your garage for godsake
That is the purpose of these types of heaters. How is it any different than people who heat the inside of their home with propane wall heaters that are unvented? I would say it is less bad for you using them for short term heating in a garage for a few hours than using it for full time heat inside a home. It isn't like you go in the garage, lock yourself in there and never open the doors.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Costco is the cheapest place to get them refilled. For a 20lb cylinder it has been running around $7.50 to $8.00 or so to refill for over a year now.
Thanks, that is cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie_dust View Post
You're using these types of heaters in a garage that is not VENTED ?? whoa...no way I would do that in my house. I might consider heat strips that have a blower, just to take the major chill off, but it's not like you're LIVING in your garage for godsake
Garages are the best place for the kerosene and propane heaters if used properly IMOO. Garages are not sealed like houses and you need to open up the garage door 3-4 inches (for a 2 car width door) for ventilation anyways. I have done that for 10-12 years when I was up north and the weather was 32° to 0° F with a big kerosene heater. As long as you have a CO detector in the garage and use caution (Don't have flammable items in front of it or near it, don't leave it on unattended etc)

Using propane and kerosene heaters in the house are far worse (talking about ones that are made for indoor use). Most people do not have a CO detector and don't even crack a window or a door. Even though some are rated for indoor use you still need to use caution and have some ventilation and a CO detector.

Just like you sad you are not living in your garage so if you use a kerosene and propane heater properly it is safe.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
iv`e got a 55000 btu torpedo heater and i love it .. i can direct the heat towards me if need be or turn it away .. i sometimes even use it to pre warm my home .. my shop is just outside my bedroom door .. the smell is not much of an issue ...i`d heat my home with kerosine if it were`nt so expensive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area