Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:26 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonresidence View Post
Any answers from optimists?
There's a reason why we call ALDOT, ALDONT, around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
The spur does count. It is an interstate. It is an interstate grade road. What you are describing that "hurt" Huntsville by 65 not passing through it was that 565 wasn't finished until 1991. But a few posters here think it didn't matter much for Huntsville's meteoric rise and it did it despite the (lack of) access. So some disagree. Most of the cities major growth happened in the 50s-70s anyway.

Apparently everyone who mattered knew where Huntsville is and how to get to it. Even if it took some wrangling to get you guys on our 65N signs as a control city (or maybe that changed precisely when 565 was completed)

No I'm not talking about the lack of an interstate access prior to 565 being built, the city was hurt by that as well, but there's a difference between 565 connecting through Huntsville and what it would have been like had 65 been built through Huntsville. For one the traffic that is on 565 entirely consists of people traveling to and from Huntsville, it makes the city more isolated. Had 65 been built through Huntsville, It would be exposed more as a city by people who were traveling through. No one ever sees Huntsville unless they have a specific reason to come here, a lot of people don't even realize it's the 2nd or 3rd largest metro area in Alabama. Obviously building 565 solved the access problem of the interstate system to Huntsville, which was the issue of most importance, but the exposure issue, still being somewhat isolated from the interstate system still remains, and it's not a pressing enough issue that it will ever be solved. You can look at it in a positive way as well though, we don't have to worry about all the extra traffic from not being directly connected to I65.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Every time I drive on I-65, 75, 40, 81, 95, etc, I'm reminded how nice it is that Huntsville is connected by a spur. Very few semi-trucks and vehicles just passing through on the interstate in Huntsville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Obviously building 565 solved the access problem of the interstate system to Huntsville, which was the issue of most importance, but the exposure issue, still being somewhat isolated from the interstate system still remains, and it's not a pressing enough issue that it will ever be solved. You can look at it in a positive way as well though, we don't have to worry about all the extra traffic from not being directly connected to I65.
Yep. That about sums it up. It is a give and take and some of Hunstville's positive attributes may be partially attributed to not having 65 cut right through the middle of it. It is all about reasonable expectations. And it is reasonable to expect that ATL-HSV-MEM is dead.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM

230 posts, read 387,989 times
Quote:
Any answers from optimists?
The questions are coming from optimists. The answers are coming from realists.

It's not going to happen. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Every time I drive on I-65, 75, 40, 81, 95, etc, I'm reminded how nice it is that Huntsville is connected by a spur. Very few semi-trucks and vehicles just passing through on the interstate in Huntsville.
Add driving through Chattanooga on I-24 to that list. But, hey, an Interstate route through Huntsville would pull some of that traffic off 24...and into our city!

Quote:
...I can't wait to to be able to drive to Atlanta in just two hours.
The converse would hold true as well, should you ever get your wish. Huntsville would be 2 hours from Atlanta...we'd turn into another suburb for them. Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area