Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 06:42 PM

42 posts, read 59,219 times

Advertisements

I have heard multiple different accounts over the past few months from friends with kids in different area local schools that have reported how bad the schools are becoming since kids have started getting bussed in. Multiple reports of theft, horrible behavior, death threats towards other kids etc. Evidently school leadership are turning the blind eye which is very troubling.

Really crazy that we have accepted this as the outcome for our children in the area. All these schools were once considered excellent public schools. The local community really needs to take a serious look at what the ultimately is happening in our schools. Who is really benefitting here? Makes my decision pretty clear cut to try to send my toddlers to private school when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:28 PM

296 posts, read 693,881 times
Any specific examples or are you just scattering hearsay?

Marc

Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Haven't they been "bussed in" for years?

Old 01-17-2016, 10:20 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
Ouch - this discussion could get ugly...

Old 01-18-2016, 01:01 AM

47 posts, read 62,434 times
There's this guy in my neighborhood that's going to Huntsville high now. His first year was last year as a freshman and I was a senior. Him and a lot of his friends were in the new freshman academy building and that place is a mini hood. I'd go to the restroom to was hands or **** or what not, excuse my elegance, and see him and some of his friends hanging out in there. They would be in there all the time and it was really awkward because they'd be staring at you the whole, for reasons I hadn't learned yet. The guy I know told me that was their "trap" spot, a place you sell drugs from. So many people knew that was " the spot" that whenever they saw someone come in, such as myself, they thought I could be a costumer or what not. Got some other guys that are alright that live on my street that attend Huntsville high and they told me about some fight that involved some big kid fighting the police and being tackled and drugs falling out of his pocket. I heard the drugs were not Mary Jane either, something a bit harder. I think the way for a better education is to be educated well at an elementary age, and good parents of course. Unless you know how stuff works at an early age and are really smart then yours schools quality might not matter as much, but good schools early are good because if you go to a garbage elementary school and go to a high performance middle school, you'll be kind of stuck. My elementary school was very odd, of at the time I knew nothing of the sort, but here we go. I went to East Clinton Elementary School. I don't know when the school started to go downhill, but by the time I got there it had hit bottom. I live in a neighborhood off oakwood avenue and would've attended university place elementary school. My parents knew that was one of the schools everyone knew was bad , so they were able to get me in east Clinton so I could layer attend Huntsville middle and Huntsville high. East Clinton was bad as well I was just less known for it since it was located in a good neighborhood. The school was in the historic section of Clinton avenue east near downtown. A upperclass white neighborhood right? It was funny because when I went there the school was a out 60-70% black, because they all came from my side of town. Some of the kids in the schools neighborhood went for about a year and their parents soon recognized the problem, I guess my parents didn't understand how that works. The school was bad to me because I was a kid and didn't judge schools, but thinking back and comparing it to other schools it definitely stood out. I remember in kindergarten this kid started choking the teacher and fighting her because she said she was going to call police or something. As a kid k didn't think much of it, but now I look at it and say, " wow, that was kindergarten." This one kid was known to carry knives on him and was nicknamed " Dunny" pronounced (doon-e). He was shot dead at age 17 in 2012. Had there's been other guy that have been in had out the d-home and now jail, since then for selling drugs and who knows what else. I think I remember this guy in 4th grade who was like 13 or something and I think he got shot in the leg in 5th grade, something like that . I remember some of the teachers wotld always call the class idiots and stupid and pour out thief family problems on us and say that we weren't helping her situation. What do the kids have to do with that. Complaining to us about angry alcoholic son. Never told my parents because it just seemed normal.The floor was just wooden planks and carpet over it because when kids ran in the halls you could hear how Hollow the floor was, the building was old as Huntsville lol. School is closed now and I don't think you can find and reliable and truthful reviews since they're now irrelevant since it's closed. But yea just some knowledge there and I guess a similar thing happened to east Clinton which is currently going on in all of Huntsville.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:18 AM

458 posts, read 617,156 times
My wife works in HCS and she tells me horror stories every week. It's not the shifting of kids that's the problem; it's the administration. At least in her school, a kid has to be written up six times in one day before they can be referred to the principal. Another tidbit: she is not allowed to give a score lower than 50% on any assignment/test, even if the student never starts the assignment. She actually had to go through her grade book and change every 0% to 50%.

At her last teaching job (before HCS), she ran a music program with 4th and 5th graders that had several expectations (be on time, complete daily practice sheets, etc.). When she tried using the same expectations in HCS (a middle school) she was told she was being too strict. A bunch of 4th and 5th graders in another district (not AL) were able to meet higher expectations than 7th and 8th graders in HCS. The dstrict has set the bar extremely low.

I know my wife has her resume all ready to apply for jobs elsewhere in the area at the end of the year. She loves the students, but the administration is awful. I could probably write a novel with the stories she tells me. She is also Hispanic and you wouldn't believe some of the comments parents have said to her because of that. I never thought the racism claims were real until she started working in HCS.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:42 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
how is this any different from the last 40 years?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 AM

266 posts, read 396,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
how is this any different from the last 40 years?
It is this sort of apathy that is causing a lot of people to want to send their children either to private schools or to home school.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:24 AM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conner97 View Post
There's this guy in my neighborhood that's going to Huntsville high now. His first year was last year as a freshman and I was a senior. Him and a lot of his friends were in the new freshman academy building and that place is a mini hood. I'd go to the restroom to was hands or **** or what not, excuse my elegance, and see him and some of his friends hanging out in there. They would be in there all the time and it was really awkward because they'd be staring at you the whole, for reasons I hadn't learned yet. The guy I know told me that was their "trap" spot, a place you sell drugs from. So many people knew that was " the spot" that whenever they saw someone come in, such as myself, they thought I could be a costumer or what not. Got some other guys that are alright that live on my street that attend Huntsville high and they told me about some fight that involved some big kid fighting the police and being tackled and drugs falling out of his pocket. I heard the drugs were not Mary Jane either, something a bit harder. I think the way for a better education is to be educated well at an elementary age, and good parents of course. Unless you know how stuff works at an early age and are really smart then yours schools quality might not matter as much, but good schools early are good because if you go to a garbage elementary school and go to a high performance middle school, you'll be kind of stuck. My elementary school was very odd, of at the time I knew nothing of the sort, but here we go. I went to East Clinton Elementary School. I don't know when the school started to go downhill, but by the time I got there it had hit bottom. I live in a neighborhood off oakwood avenue and would've attended university place elementary school. My parents knew that was one of the schools everyone knew was bad , so they were able to get me in east Clinton so I could layer attend Huntsville middle and Huntsville high. East Clinton was bad as well I was just less known for it since it was located in a good neighborhood. The school was in the historic section of Clinton avenue east near downtown. A upperclass white neighborhood right? It was funny because when I went there the school was a out 60-70% black, because they all came from my side of town. Some of the kids in the schools neighborhood went for about a year and their parents soon recognized the problem, I guess my parents didn't understand how that works. The school was bad to me because I was a kid and didn't judge schools, but thinking back and comparing it to other schools it definitely stood out. I remember in kindergarten this kid started choking the teacher and fighting her because she said she was going to call police or something. As a kid k didn't think much of it, but now I look at it and say, " wow, that was kindergarten." This one kid was known to carry knives on him and was nicknamed " Dunny" pronounced (doon-e). He was shot dead at age 17 in 2012. Had there's been other guy that have been in had out the d-home and now jail, since then for selling drugs and who knows what else. I think I remember this guy in 4th grade who was like 13 or something and I think he got shot in the leg in 5th grade, something like that . I remember some of the teachers wotld always call the class idiots and stupid and pour out thief family problems on us and say that we weren't helping her situation. What do the kids have to do with that. Complaining to us about angry alcoholic son. Never told my parents because it just seemed normal.The floor was just wooden planks and carpet over it because when kids ran in the halls you could hear how Hollow the floor was, the building was old as Huntsville lol. School is closed now and I don't think you can find and reliable and truthful reviews since they're now irrelevant since it's closed. But yea just some knowledge there and I guess a similar thing happened to east Clinton which is currently going on in all of Huntsville.
Did they never teach grammar?

Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 AM

47 posts, read 62,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Did they never teach grammar?
Lol I knew there'd be some mistakes, my bad, it was late and when I was done typing it on my phone I fell asleep.

Last edited by Conner97; 01-18-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area