Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 PM

198 posts, read 250,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Note that this is only a commitment to fund the design of the amphitheater. This does not guarantee that amphitheater will actually ever be built.
And Note that we will riot if they do not make it happen lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Very! Exciting news from the Blue Origin groundbreaking this morning

“CEO Bob Smith excited the groundbreaking audience by also announcing an agreement with NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville to refurbish and reopen test stand 4670 on the center to test the new engines made in Alabama. The stand that once tested the Saturn V’s first stage and the space shuttle’s main engines will return to large-engine testing for the first time since the shuttle program ended.”

These engines aren’t on the scale of Saturn or shuttle engines
But will be great thing to have happen here again.
The engine will also allow ULA to stop using Russian rocket engines that now power its Atlas rockets on missions including national security satellite launches.

Last edited by AU HSV; 01-25-2019 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 02:32 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL2HSV View Post
I think John Hamilton made an excellent point during the work session. A lot of people still see Huntsville as the city it was in the 80's and 90's. The metro population has almost doubled since the 90's. Hamilton is right when he says in the grand scheme of things this is not a big project for a city of Huntsville's size.

I think the city has done some really good things, but this is the first time that I think they are actually putting in the money to make something great. It has always seemed like Huntsville talks really big about projects then under-delivers when it comes to execution and design. This one feels different.
That's true, and when you consider that the actual metro is larger than the official one, there's really quite a decent size population here. Throw in Morgan and Marshall Counties, and possibly Lincoln in Tennessee because they all come to Huntsville/Madison County for a lot of things. The CSA at one time included DeKalb County (Ft Payne) and that might be a bit of a stretch.

Whether the amphitheater gets the actual goahead after the design phase remains to be seen.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Very! Exciting news from the Blue Origin groundbreaking this morning

“CEO Bob Smith excited the groundbreaking audience by also announcing an agreement with NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville to refurbish and reopen test stand 4670 on the center to test the new engines made in Alabama. The stand that once tested the Saturn V’s first stage and the space shuttle’s main engines will return to large-engine testing for the first time since the shuttle program ended.”

These engines aren’t on the scale of Saturn or shuttle engines
But will be great thing to have happen here again.
The engine will also allow ULA to stop using Russian rocket engines that now power its Atlas rockets on missions including national security satellite launches.
Yes, that's very good to hear. Things might be a bit noisier in my neighborhood but it doesn't really bother me. It's just a sign of very important progress.

The BE-4 engine is about 550,000 lbf thrust at sea level which is actually more than the Space Shuttle Maine Engine sea level thrust of 418,000 lbf, but something over 1/3 that of the Saturn V F-1 engine. The Russian RD-180 is a good engine, but it'll be nice not to be dependent on them. Now we just need manned LEO capability.

Last edited by RocketDawg; 01-25-2019 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
All the concrete medians in the center "lane" on University come to mind...
I don't travel University much, so don't really know what the situation is you mentioned, but Madison recently did what sounds like the same thing on Madison Blvd westbound at Wall Triana. My perceived reasoning was to eliminate the capability to make a left turn just before the main turn. It was dangerous before and actually led to snarled traffic. It was a good move to make the change in that situation. University Drive modifications may have had similar reasoning (and were probably done by ALDOT and not the city ... or maybe not, since ALDOT pretty much ignores north Alabama).

Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I don't travel University much, so don't really know what the situation is you mentioned, but Madison recently did what sounds like the same thing on Madison Blvd westbound at Wall Triana. My perceived reasoning was to eliminate the capability to make a left turn just before the main turn. It was dangerous before and actually led to snarled traffic. It was a good move to make the change in that situation. University Drive modifications may have had similar reasoning (and were probably done by ALDOT and not the city ... or maybe not, since ALDOT pretty much ignores north Alabama).
I agree it is a good move and know why they are doing it, but the way it sits now is a huge CF and the project seems to have sat idle for a few months now. Nothing is marked and people are using the turns wrong (going against the traffic flow, etc). I almost got hit by someone cutting across University and trying to snake into a turn "cut-out" in the opposite direction. I'm sure they are waiting on weather to paint, but some signs would be helpful (not that folks pay attention to those anyways).

Old 01-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
I agree it is a good move and know why they are doing it, but the way it sits now is a huge CF and the project seems to have sat idle for a few months now. Nothing is marked and people are using the turns wrong (going against the traffic flow, etc). I almost got hit by someone cutting across University and trying to snake into a turn "cut-out" in the opposite direction. I'm sure they are waiting on weather to paint, but some signs would be helpful (not that folks pay attention to those anyways).
OK, I understand ... it's not the design or concept, but just leaving the project unfinished for a length of time. That sounds like an ALDOT thing.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:23 PM

28 posts, read 36,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

I have been to the amphitheater in Nashville twice. Once it was so hot and humid it was miserable and the second time it was drizzling rain. You typically have to buy tickets months in advance and they are usually "rain or shine, no refunds." Both experiences sucked so I am a no on the outdoor amphitheater.
I live in Nashville and you are the first person I’ve ever heard complain about ascend amphitheater. The location is perfect with great views of the city and perfect size. The weather has everything to do with your experience and not the amphitheater itself.

I will say that if the perceived MidCity amphitheater looks like the renderings, I think it’s a mistake to not have a grass seating area.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:22 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I live in Nashville and you are the first person I’ve ever heard complain about ascend amphitheater. The location is perfect with great views of the city and perfect size. The weather has everything to do with your experience and not the amphitheater itself.

I will say that if the perceived MidCity amphitheater looks like the renderings, I think it’s a mistake to not have a grass seating area.
Looks like a large grass area in front of the stage. But the final design
will be interesting to see.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Looks like a large grass area in front of the stage. But the final design
will be interesting to see.
It should be quite impressive at $40-45M. Isn't Battle's new city hall only $20M?

If they build the conceptual amphitheater, or something close to it, it will truly be 'iconic'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area