Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 PM

12,778 posts, read 9,284,142 times

Advertisements

Looks like something is being built just south of Madison Blvd where Lanier intersects on the new cul-de-sac. Anybody know what it is? The lot seems to be pretty small, but hopefully it'll be a nice building. Madison Blvd honestly is looking kind of trashy and run down ... not a good look for one of the upper echelon cities in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 PM

410 posts, read 691,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Looks like something is being built just south of Madison Blvd where Lanier intersects on the new cul-de-sac. Anybody know what it is? The lot seems to be pretty small, but hopefully it'll be a nice building. Madison Blvd honestly is looking kind of trashy and run down ... not a good look for one of the upper echelon cities in the state.
Firestone Complete Auto I assume.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...904160157&z=12

Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,194,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Can't remember the exact brand, but I believe it is a hotel. Maybe Marriott/SPG branding...?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 PM

410 posts, read 691,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Can't remember the exact brand, but I believe it is a hotel. Maybe Marriott/SPG branding...?
Fairfield Inn & Suites supposed to be near there, but believe this is the Firestone.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:33 AM

10 posts, read 10,508 times
Hello guys, I am new to the forum. However I have been reading through more of the recent posts. I came across this article. A little old it seems; has this project gained any traction since or has it fallen through the cracks?

Huntsville may get new tallest building, proposal summary says
Posted Aug 31, 2017

By Paul Gattis | pgattis@al.com

The proposed downtown "iconic building," as described by Mayor Tommy Battle, may evolve into two of the tallest buildings in Huntsville.

According to a summary of the letter of intent between the city of Huntsville and Triad Properties and Crunkleton & Associates, one building could be as tall as 17 stories while a neighboring building could be as tall as 11 stories.

Currently, Huntsville's tallest building is the 11-story Regions Bank building at Clinton Avenue and Church Street, which stands at 188 feet.

AL.com obtained a copy of the summary of the letter of intent this week.

The letter of intent is non-binding between the city and Triad/Crunkleton. The letter also establishes a Dec. 31 deadline for the city and developers to approve and execute a purchase-and-sale agreement as well as a development agreement. That purchase-and-sale agreement would include a "fair market value" price for the property that the city would sell to the developers, according to the summary.

The project has emerged as a dramatic early step of a downtown master plan approved by the city council earlier this year. The city is also in the process of planning bike lanes on Spragins Avenue in downtown Huntsville.

The tallest building will be at least 10 stories floors and as many as 17. The secondary building will have be at least four stories and as many as 11 stories, according to the letter of intent summary.

Other tall buildings in Huntsville include The Times Building at Holmes Avenue and Greene Street and the Russel Erskine Hotel at Clinton Avenue and Spragins Avenue, both of which are 12 stories. Even though the Regions building is 11 stories, it still stands as the tallest building in Huntsville.

Battle described the maximum 17-story building as an "iconic building" in July in presenting to the city council the idea of the non-binding letter of intent.

"It has that element of, when you look at it, you go 'Wow!'" Battle told AL.com following the July 30 council meeting.

The Rocket City's skyline would figure to have a definitive new look with the potential dominating high rises should both buildings be erected to their maximum heights.

The buildings would be located at the site of the current city hall and the mothballed city hall annex next door and provide a southern framework to Big Spring Park East. The letter of intent said the buildings will "architecturally connect."

The buildings would "form a corner of the project by fronting both Church Street and Big Spring Park East," the summary of the letter of intent said.

The buildings, the developers and the city agreed, must include retail, hospitality and multi-family residencies and possibly office space and other general commercial and residential uses. The buildings must cumulatively consist of at least 200,000 square feet.

A second phase of the project would include a third building that would front Big Spring Park East. That building would connect with the potential 17-story building. It would be between four and six stories and would not include office space.

A structured parking facility is also a part of the project.

The letter of intent also stipulates that the developers will use renderings by Urban Design Associates - the Pittsburgh-based group that put together the new downtown master plan - as guidance for the projects.

The developers, according to the summary, intend for the first floor of the potential 17-story building to have retail space that will front Church Street. There will also be first-floor retail space in the second phase fronting Big Spring Park East.

The master plan also calls for a new city hall to be built at the southwest corner of the Madison County Courthouse where the city hall parking deck currently stands.

"Part of the development agreement is that (the developers) will bring in a scale model, something to look at, to make sure we don't overpower the park or underpower the park," Battle said. "We will have renderings that will tell us what this will look like in context to the city parks and the city buildings around it.

"It will also tie in portions of what city hall has because city hall needs to tie into that so we can have a continuity of process that we come through so we have continuity from one building to the other building to the other building."

Battle said there will be public presentations of the plans as the project advances.

"We started this process over a year ago," he said. "Now we are coming down to some actually actionable items."

Old 03-28-2019, 06:30 AM

271 posts, read 292,139 times
^^^ I wouldn't expect to see much about this "new iconic" building until AFTER we see a groundbreaking for the new City Hall building.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 AM

2,980 posts, read 3,539,127 times
Anyone know status of this project on the corner of Holmes/Greene? Directly across from the Times building and new parking deck soon to be under construction.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:39 AM

170 posts, read 139,257 times
What is going on at the corner of Capshaw and Balch? They leveled all the trees on the corner backing up against nice homes in Legendwood. Looks like a prime spot for a gas station. I'd be pissed if those were my houses!

Old 03-28-2019, 09:37 AM

27 posts, read 28,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
What is going on at the corner of Capshaw and Balch? They leveled all the trees on the corner backing up against nice homes in Legendwood. Looks like a prime spot for a gas station. I'd be pissed if those were my houses!

A gas station and side stores. You can see the layout on the sign on the corner. Yeah i thought the same thing about that neighborhood not being happy about it. With the low income senior community down the road and the new age ghetto down the road on capshaw the Chevron will share the load with robberies with this store

Old 03-28-2019, 04:38 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,194,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergutbrew View Post
A gas station and side stores. You can see the layout on the sign on the corner. Yeah i thought the same thing about that neighborhood not being happy about it. With the low income senior community down the road and the new age ghetto down the road on capshaw the Chevron will share the load with robberies with this store
We almost bought one of those houses in Legendwood b/c my wife was dead-set on having trees. I finally convinced her those trees probably wouldn't be there forever between commercial and Capshaw scheduled to be widened. Looks like I was right (for once!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area