Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 02:56 PM

375 posts, read 513,795 times

Advertisements

Relative to Zierdt, there's also a developing road issue in that same lane about a hundred or so yards north. It's in the area right across from the 35 mph speed limit sign and about halfway between the I-565 overpass and Town Madison Blvd.

The looming question at present and for the next few months is whether or not the contractor can complete all of the Zierdt/Madison Blvd intersection improvements and also finish the half-mile portion of the southbound lanes and multi-use path north of the current crossover point before baseball season starts. Opening day for the Trash Pandas is April 15th 2020, which doesn't leave a lot of time if the contractor is unable to work for some portions of December, January, and February.

As for the remaining 3.5 miles of the project south of the current crossover point, I was told in the past few weeks that the southbound lanes will not be totally rebuilt for that full stretch. Some sections will be rebuilt (new road base and foundation, etc.) and some sections will simply be repaved. I don't believe this is consistent with the original plans and wonder about the merits of such a plan considering that the majority of the original road is littered with potholes and road base failures.

For those playing the Zierdt/Martin drinking game at home ...

1) last Friday was the 12th anniversary of the first public information meeting (11/29/07).
2) September 20th was the 8th anniversary of the second public information meeting (09/20/11).
3) As of today, not one resident of that portion of District 5 has received any beneft from a widening effort that was first authorized way back in June 2004 (Loretta Spencer regime)
4) this project continues to sit unfinished in Battle's 11th year in office and will very obviously stretch into his fourth term as mayor
5) the city hired a contractor to blast thousands of tons of dirt and rock and partially complete the widening of Cecil Ashburn Drive from 2/3 lanes to 4/5 lanes through mountaneous terrain in a matter of ten months. Meanwhile the Zierdt contractor has spent 7.5 months working the Zierdt/Madison Blvd intersection, installing drainage along about a half-mile of the southbound lanes, building a box culver at Town Madison Blvd, building up the Martin/Zierdt interchange about 3 feet, and installing curbing on the inside of the northbound lanes (completed this week).

Last edited by Big Grumpy; 12-06-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 06:23 PM

162 posts, read 180,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grumpy View Post
Relative to Zierdt, there's also a developing road issue in that same lane about a hundred or so yards north. It's in the area right across from the 35 mph speed limit sign and about halfway between the I-565 overpass and Town Madison Blvd.

The looming question at present and for the next few months is whether or not the contractor can complete all of the Zierdt/Madison Blvd intersection improvements and also finish the half-mile portion of the southbound lanes and multi-use path north of the current crossover point before baseball season starts. Opening day for the Trash Pandas is April 15th 2020, which doesn't leave a lot of time if the contractor is unable to work for some portions of December, January, and February.

As for the remaining 3.5 miles of the project south of the current crossover point, I was told in the past few weeks that the southbound lanes will not be totally rebuilt for that full stretch. Some sections will be rebuilt (new road base and foundation, etc.) and some sections will simply be repaved. I don't believe this is consistent with the original plans and wonder about the merits of such a plan considering that the majority of the original road is littered with potholes and road base failures.

1) last Friday was the 12th anniversary of the first public information meeting (11/29/07).
2) September 20th was the 8th anniversary of the second public information meeting (09/20/11).
3) As of today, not one resident of that portion of District 5 has received any beneft from a widening effort that was first authorized way back in June 2004 (Loretta Spencer regime)
4) this project continues to sit unfinished in Battle's 11th year in office and will very obviously stretch into his fourth term as mayor
5) the city hired a contractor to blast thousands of tons of dirt and rock and partially complete the widening of Cecil Ashburn Drive from 2/3 lanes to 4/5 lanes through mountaneous terrain in a matter of ten months. Meanwhile the Zierdt contractor has spent 7.5 months working the Zierdt/Madison Blvd intersection, installing drainage along about a half-mile of the southbound lanes, building a box culver at Town Madison Blvd, building up the Martin/Zierdt interchange about 3 feet, and installing curbing on the inside of the northbound lanes (completed this week).

I can't say for sure, but I have a relative that used to work in the utilities sector and from what they've said the relocation of utilities is what might be holding things up right now. They can't say for sure, because they don't work in that field anymore. From my understanding though, there's just too much work for the manpower, which isn't different from most other fields of work. With the Huntsville area growing like it is, I'm sure they are stretched thin just being able to get the new work done not even thinking about replacement work. I know people living over there don't want to hear that, but that could possibly be holding things up. That's no excuse, because it definitely should be finished at this point.....There's just a lot of road work going on at the moment.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:25 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Quote:

For all the great and wonderful things happening in our city and region this project has been a complete failure by all involved.
Sad and now will have a negative impact on that area until complete.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:04 AM

271 posts, read 294,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
I can't say for sure, but I have a relative that used to work in the utilities sector and from what they've said the relocation of utilities is what might be holding things up right now.
I believe utilities have all been relocated. That was in fact the delay during the Spring of 2019. With a projected Fall 2021 competition date, at this point I'll be happy if they manage to complete the project by Fall 2022.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 AM

162 posts, read 180,124 times
Anybody know what's going in at the old Food World location at the corner of Memorial Parkway and Oakwood?
Sorry if already posted...

Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM

50 posts, read 50,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
Anybody know what's going in at the old Food World location at the corner of Memorial Parkway and Oakwood?
Sorry if already posted...
Madison County Services building, to include: Madison County tax assessor, tax collector, license director, probate judge and potentially other departments. Moving those out of the court house.

https://whnt.com/2018/10/06/new-serv...adison-county/

Old 12-10-2019, 10:35 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:

But hey, on the bright side at some point in the future, maybe they will finally finish it and you will have those glorious bike paths that caused the delay for the past few years. lol

Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,445 times
I'm sure there are plenty of naysayers, but it really is amazing how many projects are going on downtown these days. https://www.al.com/news/2019/12/the-...WG3wT7X16Jsv28

Old 12-10-2019, 05:40 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of naysayers, but it really is amazing how many projects are going on downtown these days. https://www.al.com/news/2019/12/the-...WG3wT7X16Jsv28
And a lot more to come

Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 PM

396 posts, read 664,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I find these projects quite exciting. It is cool to be part of a vibrant, growing community. There are more and bigger projects on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area