Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 11:08 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBellum View Post
I heard from the Popeye's manager that it's an ice cream shop.
It is an ice cream shop, they have signage out front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM

638 posts, read 695,942 times
The Hampton Inn Huntsville (at Wynn and University) is now a Clarion.

No surprise with this hotel having exterior corridors, one new Hampton Inn (Research Park) already open, and with another opening at Providence in the near future.

But it was a really cheap place to crash for a night if you needed some Hilton points or nights.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:24 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
The Hampton Inn Huntsville (at Wynn and University) is now a Clarion.

No surprise with this hotel having exterior corridors, one new Hampton Inn (Research Park) already open, and with another opening at Providence in the near future.

But it was a really cheap place to crash for a night if you needed some Hilton points or nights.
Most Hamptons now seem to be in the $150 a night range. In many cases, Holiday Inn Express is just as nice and cheaper.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Most Hamptons now seem to be in the $150 a night range. In many cases, Holiday Inn Express is just as nice and cheaper.
Most of these are targeting corporate travelers

Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
It depends on when and where we are talking about. In the past year, I have stayed in numerous Hampton Inns and most were in the $71 to $89 range (plus tax, no parking fees). I have also stayed in a few that were in the $150 to $250 range but it was because of their location or it was a holiday. I usually try to get Embassy Suites or Hiltons but sometimes there isn't one convenient or it is so convenient the price reflects the location so I default to a Hampton Inn. I have been pleased with everyone I have visited so it is my go to brand.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:22 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,573,449 times
The groundbreaking ceremony at CityCentre, to be located on the site of the now-demolished Holiday Inn on Williams Avenue at Monroe Street, will take place Jan. 10 at 2 p.m.

Developer RCP Companies said the event will mark the beginning of work on Phase 1, which will include a six-story, 150-unit first-in-Alabama AC Marriott hotel. BL Harbert International will lead construction on the hotel.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:33 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
is that weird little complex with all the doctor's offices next to city centre / twickenham square still going strong?

my orthodontist was there... this would've been over 20 years ago.

looking back, I realize what a terrible fit for downtown that place was. seems like it's prime property and something much more urban could be built there, connecting the park, vbc and hospital.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:55 AM

764 posts, read 1,107,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
is that weird little complex with all the doctor's offices next to city centre / twickenham square still going strong?

my orthodontist was there... this would've been over 20 years ago.

looking back, I realize what a terrible fit for downtown that place was. seems like it's prime property and something much more urban could be built there, connecting the park, vbc and hospital.

Yes, It is called Park Plaza and it isn't going to be torn down and redeveloped anytime soon because it is an office condominium complex. This means that each business owns their own office suite. Therefore, for the whole property to be redeveloped, a developer would have to convince all of the businesses there to sell their offices and move somewhere else - This seems like a pretty tall order as each office is valued at about $300K and therefore that would mean well more than a million per acre.

Park Plaza was developed in the 1980's when Huntsville's Downtown was not in high demand and was probably the highest use the market would demand at that time.

A bigger missed opportunity Downtown, which was developed at least 20 years ago, is the Russell Erskine Hotel which is presently public housing for seniors. It is a classic historic building which would be ideal for Marriott's Autograph Collection of historic hotels - they have one in Birmingham. However, at the time it came up for sale, there was little demand for Downtown property and a developer bought it and converted it into apartments for lower income seniors. He got a Federal loan from HUD to improve it which has restrictions that it remain as subsidized housing for a long time.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,228,224 times
good info, thanks. you'd think they would have built that thing on south parkway in the '80s. any idea what it replaced?

yeah, the empire hotel is coming along nicely here... I believe that's the one you're referencing.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 AM

410 posts, read 695,605 times
Obviously this will continue to be updated, but this is the most recent MidCity picture I've seen.

The amphitheater they used looks pretty similar to the new Ascend Amphitheater in Nashville, which would be very nice for Huntsville. Of course this picture basically shows it on the site of the movie theater, so this won't work if the movie theater is indeed staying.

EDIT: Just saw this picture which shows the movie theater north of the amphitheater:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area