Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,748,885 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing that a new Baumhower's Wings restaurant is going to be built on the old bowling alley site next to the Arby's on the Parkway, just south of Governor's Drive. MS One LLC, a company out of Mobile AL bought the site late last year and will lease the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I have been to other Costco locations, and I do have eyeballs.

The Huntsville Costco is busy much of the time. Costco locations in other states are crawling with people. Parking lots are packed, and often all of the checkouts will be open with long lines.

The valid point is made that Huntsville is a smaller market. Smallish markets like San Luis Obispo, California, Santa Maria, California, and Juneau, Alaska have extremely busy Costcos. (I have been to all 3 of those and others.)

Obviously Costco is satisfied with Huntsville as the location has been open here quite a while. (I searched, but could not find the opening date.) I expect the prospects for an additional Costco are nil. My opinion is that the chances of this one moving are not high, but are not zero.
Huntsville had the first Costco in the state opened in 2000 I believe. Plans are to add liquor such as the newly opened Mobile store and Hoover has. A long process to get approvals etc. plus probably require a separate addition to be add but space is at a premium.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
I have been to other Costco locations, and I do have eyeballs...
Anecdotal evidence is worthless. There are 508 Costco locations in the US and Puerto Rico, with four more opening in the next two months.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 PM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Anecdotal evidence is worthless. There are 508 Costco locations in the US and Puerto Rico, with four more opening in the next two months.
It is hardly anecdotal, it is eyewitness evidence.

Your evidence is that you consider this location busy.

I'm not here to put Huntsville down, I live here and like it. Perhaps I shall be proven wrong and Costco will open another location here.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Cooldiver,

If you apply the California standard in Huntsville, then EVERY retailers should just close its shop and go home. There is no way we're getting the kind of traffic like they do in California. But we don't need to as the stores here are paying nowhere near the rents like they do in California.

However; as much as I like to see a 2nd Costco in Huntsville/ Madison, I seriously doubt it will happen anytime soon. Maybe after we hit 1.0 Million population

Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
It is hardly anecdotal, it is eyewitness evidence...
But you haven't been to all 508 US Costco locations, so you are basing your observations on the few you have visited. This makes your evidence "hearsay" or anecdotal.
Quote:
...Your evidence is that you consider this location busy...
Well, now you're making things up. Show me where I stated that the Huntsville Costco is busy. Like you, I have NO EVIDENCE to determine where they are ranked against all other US Costco locations in terms of revenue generation.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 AM

640 posts, read 698,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Cooldiver,

If you apply the California standard in Huntsville, then EVERY retailers should just close its shop and go home. There is no way we're getting the kind of traffic like they do in California. But we don't need to as the stores here are paying nowhere near the rents like they do in California.
Certainly you are correct about costs, but I would suggest that you look up the market sizes of Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo. Or Juneau Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well, now you're making things up. Show me where I stated that the Huntsville Costco is busy. Like you, I have NO EVIDENCE to determine where they are ranked against all other US Costco locations in terms of revenue generation.
You are correct, other folks have said it was busy, you did not. I apologize.

I have posted my visits to other Costco locations as observations for others to take as they please. Plainly you think they are worthless, as is your right. So as we Southerners say, God Bless and have a wonderful day.

Last edited by cooldiver; 04-26-2017 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
It is NOT a great location. Maybe in the 1970s-2000, but the area is very depressed. Buildings have been poorly remodeled so many times they just look shabby now. Retailers want to be in up-and-coming areas.
Retailers like Costco think regionally, not locally, so they're going to want to be where people from the entire area and get to them easily. Growth is in Madison, so I can see them going there.
I've gone to Costco twice since it's been here (and I've been a member) because of location. I just never, ever, get to that area. I never pass by there and Costco isn't a strong enough pull on it's own when I have Sam's more conveniently located. And location is the only reason I don't go there.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:27 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Certainly you are correct about costs, but I would suggest that you look up the market sizes of Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo. Or Juneau Alaska.
I've been to both Santa Maria and SLO but did not visit their Costco. Both are considered smalller size towns than Huntsville + its satellite cities. I take your word on what you've observed.

But Costco is a shrewd business company. If they are not making a decent profit they will not hesitate to pull out of this market. Plus, the Huntsville area is more diverse with at least 4 Walmart super centers, plus good size supermarket chains like Kroger, Publix, etc. we have a plenty of choices for a town this size.

What I see is the under-served market in Athens and Decatur area, so perhaps the 65/565 interchange location makes sense for a 2nd Costco. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:39 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,579,157 times
Madison county has 15 Walmart, which includes Supercenters and Neighborhood Markets
Believe Publix has 12
Costco has been open for 17 years they aren't going anywhere.
The metro population in 2000 was around 342,376
2016, 444,752
And since this Costco serves all of North Alabama and south central Tennessee you can probably another million folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area