Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Welcome Frontier!
With some great west coast destination connections out of Denver (Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Orange County, San Antonio, San Diego, San Jose, Minneapolis) and flights to Orlando
Is Frontier speculation or fact? Competing with or replacing Silver to Orlando?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 PM

125 posts, read 165,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is Frontier speculation or fact? Competing with or replacing Silver to Orlando?
Huntsville showed up in their departure drop down list on flyfrontier.com, no dates or destinations were listed however. Hopefully will get confirmation for sure tomorrow. https://i.imgur.com/26ylYw3.png

Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 AM

640 posts, read 697,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csutton79 View Post
Huntsville showed up in their departure drop down list on flyfrontier.com, no dates or destinations were listed however. Hopefully will get confirmation for sure tomorrow. https://i.imgur.com/26ylYw3.png
Looks like service will start in October. Orlando 3x weekly, Denver 2x weekly for a couple of weeks then 3x.

You can see flights on the site, but no fares yet.

The airport authority will have to push really hard. Frontier drops non-performing routes like a bad habit, and will be gone in a flash if the traffic isn't there.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Looks like service will start in October. Orlando 3x weekly, Denver 2x weekly for a couple of weeks then 3x.

The airport authority will have to push really hard. Frontier drops non-performing routes like a bad habit, and will be gone in a flash if the traffic isn't there.
The region has no excuse not to support these flights otherwise don't ***** about prices

Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM

764 posts, read 1,108,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post

This confirms part of my post when I said that Allegiant was most likely because they only offered service two to three days a week and didn't have to fill up planes seven days a week. Having flights 2x a week to Denver, Frontier won't have that burden either.

With this schedule, Frontier is aiming for the leisure traveler (like Allegiant), because it is rare that a business traveler will be able to depart and return on the two or three days a week that they offer service (usually on a weekend when business travelers don't want to be traveling).

Whether Frontier is able to be profitable out of HSV really depends on the support of leisure travelers, not just from the immediate Huntsville/Decatur area, but passengers from the Quad cities area (Florence, Sheffield, Muscle Shoals and Tuscumbia) and Marshall and Jackson Counties, too and the small portion of southern Tennessee (before the draw of the Nashville airport kicks in). There are several hundred thousand residents in those counties, too, who use HSV and are essential in the number of flights that are offered here.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:06 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Flights are now available for booking on Frontier's website. This is interesting. They fly jets not prop planes and have flights to Orlando as well as other destinations available. Pricing looks like it is comparable to flying Southwest out of Nashville. They do the whole baggage is extra thing which is sort of aggravating if you are flying as a family on a vacation because you have to add all of the luggage. I guess it works out better for anyone that flies with light luggage though. It just so happens I have a trip coming up this fall to Orlando so I just may get a chance to try them out if they have flights available on the days I will need them.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Flights are now available for booking on Frontier's website. This is interesting. They fly jets not prop planes and have flights to Orlando as well as other destinations available. Pricing looks like it is comparable to flying Southwest out of Nashville. They do the whole baggage is extra thing which is sort of aggravating if you are flying as a family on a vacation because you have to add all of the luggage. I guess it works out better for anyone that flies with light luggage though. It just so happens I have a trip coming up this fall to Orlando so I just may get a chance to try them out if they have flights available on the days I will need them.
Some great prices to Orlando in November $34 one way. Frontier fly's all Airbus as well, nice jets

Old 07-10-2018, 08:54 AM

640 posts, read 697,448 times
Quote:
Some great prices to Orlando in November $34 one way. Frontier fly's all Airbus as well, nice jets
Nice jets, but the thin seats that do not recline are not so popular. Leg room is pretty tight.

https://seatguru.com/airlines/Fronti...us_A320neo.php

My sister was a big Allegiant fan, but she hates the seats they are putting into their new Airbus fleet.

Perhaps the ULCC model will become popular here!

Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Looks like they fly A320 jets ... will help Alabama since they're built in Mobile. At first glance, they're similar to Southwest's 737s.

The service is starting very low ... not even a flight a day. It's up to the people in the area to support them for leisure travel, and maybe even some business, so they'll stay and expand. B'ham's airport traffic increased dramatically when Southwest entered their market; there's no reason Frontier can't do the same here.

Narrow seats? You've gotta give up something to get such good fares. And honestly, who cares if you get a free bag of peanuts and a Coke or not? You're traveling, not going to a restaurant. Flying's not the romantic adventure it was 50-60 years ago ... it's just transportation now.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM

FYI the Frontier schedule for booking will be extended in a few weeks into next year.
Mr. Tucker of the airport authority hinted that there will be more nonstop and flights announced soon, did not say which airline.
Side note, Frontier has around 80 aircraft with 200 on order, all Airbus and all being built in Mobile.

Last edited by AU HSV; 07-10-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area