Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times

Advertisements

Mark my words, there will NEVER be an Ikea in Huntsville, so stop dreaming...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 AM

944 posts, read 1,185,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yeah, that is a bit cumbersome isn't it? I like "linguistically challenged" ... may I use that term or do you have to copyrighted?

In his defense a bit though ... when someone is directly quoted with all the "ahs", "ya knows", "y'alls", etc., it does indeed look strange when written. Lets hope that if he was preparing a written statement, it would be a little more literate.
Be my guest...

Chuckle, one would sincerely hope so

Old 06-09-2016, 01:22 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Yeah, this ^^^^

"I think there's going to be plenty because the development that Town Madison is going to be, it's going to be different, there's going to be a lot more regional type development, a lot of these developments are just kind of local stuff, but this is going to be something regional that people will come from Nashville, Birmingham,” says Steve Haraway, Madison County Commissioner.

What does that even mean?? (He almost sounds as linguistically challenged as a certain hopeful politician...)
interesting...

Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Yeah, this ^^^^

"I think there's going to be plenty because the development that Town Madison is going to be, it's going to be different, there's going to be a lot more regional type development, a lot of these developments are just kind of local stuff, but this is going to be something regional that people will come from Nashville, Birmingham,” says Steve Haraway, Madison County Commissioner.

What does that even mean?? (He almost sounds as linguistically challenged as a certain hopeful politician...)

I think that's all a bunch of BS. He's a Madison Co commissioner, how would be know if the people of Nashville or B'ham would drive here for something? He doesn't. It's just something he thought would sound good to say.

Huntsville never gets anything that Nashville doesn't already have, and rarely do we get anything Birmingham doesn't already have. But we got H&M before B'ham, and we've got Walmart online grocery shopping & pickup - B'ham doesn't.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I think that's all a bunch of BS. He's a Madison Co commissioner, how would be know if the people of Nashville or B'ham would drive here for something? He doesn't. It's just something he thought would sound good to say

Huntsville never gets anything that Nashville doesn't already have, and rarely do we get anything Birmingham doesn't already have. But we got H&M before B'ham, and we've got Walmart online grocery shopping & pickup - B'ham doesn't.

That defines the market fairly well.

.........SHIPT..............BHM not only has the service, it is the home of the company. Having another option for Walmart just doesn't seem like a bragging right.

As to the other business, HM squeezed into BS because it had such a huge amount of empty space at the time, and actually still does. On the other hand, they had to wait until space could be made for a much larger store at the Galleria. And again, this is no bragging prize; the life of those stores is probably about ten years, when their current customer graduates to Walmart.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Well it is the "the most prime property in the Southeastern United States" so of course people from here will drive there to shop. Bentley was there to kick it off so what else do you need to know about a center that will have "places like a big-box electronics store, a hotel and several restaurants and boutiques are what developers are hoping to head into the space."

Maybe it will be a flagship Best Buy or HH Gregg that'll be heads and shoulders above the 8 or so locations of these two chains that have stores down here.

Seriously, though, it would be cool if they got a Fry's, but I doubt that would encourage a bunch of people from here to drive up there for.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preguntas View Post
That defines the market fairly well.

.........SHIPT..............BHM not only has the service, it is the home of the company. Having another option for Walmart just doesn't seem like a bragging right.

As to the other business, HM squeezed into BS because it had such a huge amount of empty space at the time, and actually still does. On the other hand, they had to wait until space could be made for a much larger store at the Galleria. And again, this is no bragging prize; the life of those stores is probably about ten years, when their current customer graduates to Walmart.

We have SHIPT service as well. At least my zip code does, can't speak for the whole area. I only mentioned Walmart bc a friend of mine who lives in Birmingham said it's not offered in that market.

This is not a contest! Just mentioned that those are the ONLY 2 things I can think of that HSV got before B'ham. There may be more, but I'm unaware.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:48 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
We have SHIPT service as well. At least my zip code does, can't speak for the whole area. I only mentioned Walmart bc a friend of mine who lives in Birmingham said it's not offered in that market.

This is not a contest! Just mentioned that those are the ONLY 2 things I can think of that HSV got before B'ham. There may be more, but I'm unaware.

I'm pretty sure he is aware that you have SHIPT there which is why he said "Having another option for Walmart just doesn't seem like a bragging right." SHIPT makes the value of Wal-Mart's service moot and SHIPT is very popular here. Might have something to do with why Wal-Mart hasn't bothered to implement the service here yet.

Regardless it is going to take something along the level of an IKEA to back up the boasting and claims made about this center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Mark my words, there will NEVER be an Ikea in Huntsville, so stop dreaming...

Yeah but this will be in Madison, so...

Last edited by Tourian; 06-09-2016 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-09-2016, 12:36 PM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times
Quote:

One more store that HSV got before BHM: The original Kate Spade at Bridge Street which was located where the present Michael Kors is. That store closed after a year or so as part of a nationwide store closing (20% of all Kate Spade stores closed at that time).

Later the Juicy Couture store closed and at the same time, they announced that Kate Spade would be locating in their space ( I guess Juicy was owned by K.S.) I think that all of the Juicy stores nationwide closed at that time.

Perhaps, you could say that HSV had a Juicy Couture store before BHM, too.

It is surprising that Coach has not opened their own store in HSV to compete with Michael Kors and Kate Spade for the women's handbag market. I guess they think that having two Belks and Dillard's selling their product taps the market.

It begs the question: How many women's designer brand handbags can be sold in North Alabama? I think that is the question that a Macy's or Von Maur is asking (as well as other apparel items)if they are being pursued as anchors for Town Madison. It's hard to see how Town Madison can get off the ground without a department store as an anchor - otherwise it will be just another Target anchored power center which there are three of in Madison County. Just more of the same. With two flagship stores, Belk owns the Huntsville market at the present time.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
...Belk owns the Huntsville market at the present time.
Amazon owns the Huntsville market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area