Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:08 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times

Advertisements

I recently returned from a trip to New England and had pizza at one of the top 10 on a Nat'l list and nothing that I have had anywhere around here compares. I don't know what the difference is but.. it was amazing. None the less.. it will be nice to have an old fav back. It was a fun place to hang with some company, pizza and beer back when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 04:56 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,096,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I recently returned from a trip to New England and had pizza at one of the top 10 on a Nat'l list and nothing that I have had anywhere around here compares. I don't know what the difference is but.. it was amazing. None the less.. it will be nice to have an old fav back. It was a fun place to hang with some company, pizza and beer back when.
Was it Frank Pepe's Pizzeria in Connecticut? That place is amazing.

Then again, pizza up there is top notch. Famous Joe's is my local favorite now.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 PM

43 posts, read 43,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Went there once, couldn't understand what the fuss was about. It was like the pizza that used to be served in drive-in theatres, back when that was the only pizza you could get. Frozen crusts shipped in from somewhere, tasted like cardboard.
However....Mando's was just like that. And I used to get those Mando's pizzas BECAUSE they reminded me of the first pizza I ever tasted. Nostalgia makes it taste good.
Great observation. I tried the Terry's on governors 20 yrs ago and thought the mild sausage and canned mushrooms tasted like tombstone plus-a-little-something. I liked it, but it was almost certainly nostalgia-driven. It reminded me of the working class kitchen table of my youth. My buddy, who was raised on the better side of the tracks, didn't like it at all.

Try Alfonso's in Decatur. I think it's tied for the best non-chain pizza around.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Was it Frank Pepe's Pizzeria in Connecticut? That place is amazing.

Then again, pizza up there is top notch. Famous Joe's is my local favorite now.
Don't think so.. I think it was Tony Z's or something. My cousin picked it up and brought it home. Yep.. good pizza there.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Don't think so.. I think it was Tony Z's or something. My cousin picked it up and brought it home. Yep.. good pizza there.
Now I have to ask - what town?

Old 12-05-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Now I have to ask - what town?

Well.. he picked it up on way home from work, Somewhere near West Haven/ Durham area.
It was excellent tho. I know that when I was a teen in Ct... pizza Inn tried to move in.. they got laughed outta town back then. Didn't stay open too long. Dunno how it is now but no chain ever made it when I was there.. but that was a long time ago.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-05-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Well.. he picked it up on way home from work, Somewhere near West Haven/ Durham area.
It was excellent tho. I know that when I was a teen in Ct... pizza Inn tried to move in.. they got laughed outta town back then. Didn't stay open too long. Dunno how it is now but no chain ever made it when I was there.. but that was a long time ago.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
any chance it was Zuppardi's? They are a mainstay in West Haven, great pizza. oh man! memories.

==

When I lived in CT - I asked about the lack of Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc - My local guy told me "Try a few of the local places and you will understand why." He was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area