U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 01:28 AM

6 posts, read 4,592 times

Advertisements

Hello, my family is considering moving (from So. Cal) to the Huntsville area and I would like to know of locals experiences regarding the schools in the area and how kids with learning disabilities are treated and accommodated. My daughter (11yrs old) has been diagnosed with moderate to severe ADD and has a 504 plan to help her in her current school. The first two schools she attended were unhelpful to say the least and her current one has been amazing. Are Huntsville schools good for kids who need a little extra help?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 08:21 PM

3,298 posts, read 5,465,687 times
I have clients who are in Rainbow in the Madison schools who have been very pleased with their programs. One has a daughter on the autism spectrum.

I have had a client whose daughter was in Blossomwood (HSV city) and was pretty happy with their IEP for her. I woud suggest you visit schools in the areas/schools you are interested in and try and meet with the principal/teachers to get a good feel.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:47 AM

1,930 posts, read 1,411,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
One has a daughter on the autism spectrum.
I am good friends with an ABA therapist in the Madison area. She said if she had a child with Autism in Huntsville/Madison, she would only send them to public school here if there was absolutely no other option. She recommended The Riley Center for Autism, if you can afford it. Or a private school if they are high functioning. Or homeschool if your insurance will provide therapy. If you have to go the public school route, be prepared to have to advocate for your child.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:20 AM

My daughter has ADD and to say we have had to advocate for her is an understatement. We are currently in California. We will be visiting HV for a week in early January and I will try to set up appointments with school administration, but have concerns that being during Christmas break, this will be difficult. This is why I asked on this forum about the experiences other parents of kids with learning disabilities have had with various schools in the HV area.
Another question I have is: is it difficult to have a child transferred to another school, if the one they are enrolled in is simply not working out? IE: If we move to Jones Valley and the school she'd be placed in is Challenger, and its not working out, can I have her transferred to Blossomwood without having to move?

Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMomster1 View Post
My daughter has ADD and to say we have had to advocate for her is an understatement. We are currently in California. We will be visiting HV for a week in early January and I will try to set up appointments with school administration, but have concerns that being during Christmas break, this will be difficult. This is why I asked on this forum about the experiences other parents of kids with learning disabilities have had with various schools in the HV area.
Another question I have is: is it difficult to have a child transferred to another school, if the one they are enrolled in is simply not working out? IE: If we move to Jones Valley and the school she'd be placed in is Challenger, and its not working out, can I have her transferred to Blossomwood without having to move?

My kids are private, but my understanding is for public that your school is your school, unless you get into a magnet school, or go private. People around here generally move house if they want to go to a different school. I know quite a few who have done that.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:54 PM

PK, can you tell me what school/s and why they moved?

Old 12-15-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
PK, can you tell me what school/s and why they moved?
I have one friend who moved house about 10 minutes away to move their child with ADHD from Providence Elementary (Huntsville City Schools) to Mill Creek Elementary (Madison City Schools). They assert that the difference was night and day.

I have another friend who moved house about 5 minutes away to move their child with OCD from Jones Valley Elementary (Huntsville City Schools) to Monte Sano Elementary (Huntsville City Schools). She said it was "better", but did not give a lot of specifics.

I have another friend with a child who has ASD desperately trying to sell their house in Limestone County to move 2 minutes away to Madison City. Their child is currently at a private school that they can't really afford.

I have a friend who's sister moved house from Legacy Elementary (Madison County Schools) all the way up to Tennessee for their child with ADHD. They commute about an hour to work every day for the school district.

Last edited by pkbab5; 12-15-2016 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Thank you, that is good (and daunting) information.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you, that is good (and daunting) information.

Sorry

Don't get me wrong. There's a lot of great things about raising kids in Huntsville. It's very safe. Most everybody is friendly and kind and willing to help out a neighbor. There are lots of good, wholesome, fun things to do for kids around here, so they don't usually get into too much trouble. Most parents around here care.

And the folks over at the schools, well, they mean well, and they do their best with what they have. It's just that education, and special education, just doesn't seem to be as high a priority as other things to the powers that be, and we're not exactly a rich state to begin with. So... it can be a little rough on that front sometimes.

And if I were you, I'd start my search in Madison City Schools.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 PM

No need to be sorry, I appreciate candid views and opinions. :-)Thank You
Our schools in Cali are very similar in those respects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: