Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Absolutely fascinating information, graphics, and photos on the history of the three Huntsville Airports:

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Alabama, Huntsville area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,585,805 times
We paid $600 a person for a ticket to Hville Airport from VA/Dulles--outrageous! I am driving as much as possible with my daughter to Vienna/Fairfax rather than pay that ridiculous sum. I could fly to Madrid return for $800 at the same time at the same booking time! I couldn't believe it. Any rate, I heard flying out of Nashville/Atlanta/ Bham would save money, but for not that much.

I was pretty shocked at the prices out of this airport--especially when they tried to leave EARLY without calling the flight--and I was checked in at the counter! Seriously... but then don't get me started on the "security" checks here--even my shoes have been checked--and I am as far removed from the risk factor as possible-- are they bored??

K-just a push button for me--I abhor flying these days and only do it if absolutely necessary. It just isn't fun anymore regardless of where you're flying into or leaving from--nightmare really.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 PM

We always consider driving to Nashville or Birmingham to take advantage of Southwest. Southwest hedged and bought gas at rates less than half of what the other airlines are paying now - and their tickets are almost always less.

If we need to buy three or four tickets (we always have one or two free SWA tix) it is worth the two hour drive north to save around $100 a ticket.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Sometimes flying out of Nashville or Birmingham is cheaper, but not always. I think you've been spoiled by being at Dulles - that's certainly a major hub, which Huntsville certainly is not!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Southwest hedged and bought gas at rates less than half of what the other airlines are paying now - and their tickets are almost always less.
Coincidentally, the LA Times wrote about this this morning:

Southwest Airlines will soon be No. 1 at four of five area airports - Los Angeles Times (broken link)

....if you need a login or password visit http://www.bugmenot.com/

Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Sometimes flying out of Nashville or Birmingham is cheaper, but not always. I think you've been spoiled by being at Dulles - that's certainly a major hub, which Huntsville certainly is not!
True! I have been spoiled that way--but flying isn't what it used to be -- in general, regardless of the airports we endure long lines, security checks (and seriously, here, I get checked every time for the most obscure things--never have that happen in the big airports), delays, cancellations, no alcohol on board (especially the Hville the Dulles flight--hey if they can leave early without calling the flight, they don't have time to restock the kit--), and the list goes on and on.

Add outrageous costs and extra hidden costs at the checkout counter to the mix, and this girl refuses to fly unless it is absolutely necessary in terms of time saved and distance traveled.

But to get back on topic: unless flights get cheaper out of Hville, I will continue to check the costs out of Bham and Nville for national flights. Atlanta will be good to check for international rates (not that I am a fan of that airport--it's a necessary evil). We love traveling--just hate the necessity of flying to our destinations.

The thing that irks me is I think part of the reason the prices are higher into and out of hville is because so many people travel here for business/work out of D.C. and other larger metros. I think that the rates are artificially inflated because business travelers are willing/able to pay them.

JMO

I

Old 07-25-2008, 10:53 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,707 times
I've been flying Southwest in the 22 years since they have served Birmingham and have been a shareholder, reading their Annual Reports. I've gotten familiar with their strategy of picking airports to serve. They have a 55% market share here.

The odds of getting SWA into HSV are nil as it sits squarely between Nashville and Birmingham. Their concept is to get people to 'drive' to get to an SWA airport so they can save...a look at the parking deck at the Birmingham airport will reveal a meaningful number of tags from Atlanta...where people have driven 150 miles to get a better fare. You are 50 miles closer if you live in Huntsville and closer still if you live in Decatur...

Rather than serving Boston, they serve Providence - only a 45 minute drive. Providence's airport is much smaller but many Bostonians, take the drive to save the money.

The best bet would be for the City, County and Chamber to make a joint push toward Jet Blue...they are a good airline but usually serve larger markets....

Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM

122 posts, read 354,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We always consider driving to Nashville or Birmingham to take advantage of Southwest. Southwest hedged and bought gas at rates less than half of what the other airlines are paying now - and their tickets are almost always less.

If we need to buy three or four tickets (we always have one or two free SWA tix) it is worth the two hour drive north to save around $100 a ticket.

It might be worth it to some, but it will cost me $100 in gas to drive round trip to Nashville for a SWA flight. No thanks. I would rather spend the extra $100 on a flight out of Huntsville. Not to mention saving the extra 4 hours added to my travel time...ugh.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 AM

Yup--gotta factor in the cost of gas now as part of the price if you travel to other cities. I think I'd consider Nashville only because it is getting a Trader Joe's "soon" and I could tie a shopping trip to the return leg of the trip. That would make it worth the gas costs.

For larger families, the savings are worth the drive.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM

10 posts, read 46,877 times
For about eight months now, I have chosen to fly Southwest into Birmingham or Nashville. Generally, it is not much cheaper, depending on how far in advance you book. I mainly do it, since from Baltimore, you have to go through Charlotte or Atlanta, and the time involved is longer than flying and then driving 1.5 or 2 hours to HSV. Plus, I don't worry about missing a connecting flight. Also, Southwest seems to be a little easier to fly with, but that is just my opinion.

So, onto the other part of your question. Here is a link to the HSV's Airport webpage expansion plans, showing a third runway to be built on the West side of County Line Road.

HMCAA Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area