Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 11:39 AM

216 posts, read 755,782 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Huntsville, but never been there before.

How is the economy in Huntsville metro area? What are the major industries? Any significant asian population in the area? Are the people there mainly from Alabama and southern states? Any transplant population from other part of country, such as Northeast or west coast? How are the public schools comparing to NE? What is the best one in the area?

Thank you for reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 01:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I would suggest visiting first.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
How is the economy in Huntsville metro area?

It is strong for engineers and technical types who have experience in research and defense, and can pass a background check.

What are the major industries?

Research and defense.

Any significant asian population in the area?

There are more than average due to the major industries being highly technical, but I wouldn't call it significant. You'll be able to find Asian groups, grocery, restaurants, and some things like that, but there aren't parts of town that identify with a particular Asian culture, like a "Chinatown" would. But it is an Asian friendly area.

Are the people there mainly from Alabama and southern states? Any transplant population from other part of country, such as Northeast or west coast?

Huntsville/Madison has a very high rate of transplants from other parts of the country. Once you leave Huntsville/Madison, the people are mainly from the south. (Madison County is the name of the County that Huntsville is located in, and Madison City is a suburb of Huntsville City).

How are the public schools comparing to NE?

Alabama ranks 42nd out of 51 (50 states plus Washington DC) in public education. Huntsville is slightly better than Alabama average.

What is the best one in the area?

Currently, the "best" public high schools are Bob Jones (Madison City), James Clemens (Madison City), New Century Tech Demo (Huntsville City Magnet), and Grissom (Huntsville City). The best elementary and middle schools are generally the feeder schools to the above. https://k12.niche.com/rankings/publi...all/s/alabama/

Currently, the "best" private school is Randolph. It is K-12. https://k12.niche.com/rankings/priva...all/s/alabama/

Last edited by pkbab5; 12-27-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 12-27-2016, 04:24 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
you have threads inquiring about nearly every state in the union ... you move a lot ?

Old 12-27-2016, 06:58 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,578,001 times
the Chamber and city have excellent sites and will answer most of your questions
The Chamber of Commerce - Huntsville and Madison County

Front Page - City of Huntsville

Old 12-27-2016, 06:59 PM

216 posts, read 755,782 times
Thanks for the info, pkbab5. Actually I have been applying a lot jobs in some states, far from EVERY STATE.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:09 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
i am out of work at the moment and spend several hours a week on the local job search sites and see that there are thousands of jobs available within a 25 mile radius of Huntsville .. you can find anything from a job at burger king to a job running a fortune 500 company ..yes pkbab5 made a great post .. i can only add that you will love it here ..dont believe any preconceived notions you here about southern living ..we all get along a whole lot better than many other parts of the country .. we`ve been around each other longer ,,, as bob barker would say ..come on down ...

Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 PM

582 posts, read 826,766 times
I came to Hsv from Seattle in Aug. 1990. At first, I was horrified. No smoking sections in restaurants, how the heck do people eat out here!!!

But then I noticed some things:

- The hills to the east still had trees (good luck with that in Seattle in 1990 much less 2016)
- Roads were wider with a lot less traffic (e.g. Wall-Triana south of Hwy 20 (now I-565) and then of course I-565 itself (doesn't even come close to I-405 in 1990)
- Easy to get to rural and less populated areas (ever taken Hwy 65 north of Gurley? Yea, a whole lot of nothing back in 1990 and is still true today)
- Take a short trip anywhere north and then your in TN, whole nother beautiful world out there.

Are there some "one rounder" places in N AL? You bet! But it beats the alternatives by a whole bunch!

Come and join the party, pal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area