Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:23 PM

19 posts, read 25,910 times

Advertisements

Thank you everybody. Newspaper idea was in case apartments listed there. Thanks for the alternative to apartment.com bec when I had tried that site recently 0 showed up for LS. Get that a car is needed; several people gave me the kind of info that helped change my mind. Yes, St. Benedict's exists because a few people relocated from around the country when a way apparently developed so a newly reordained (originally ordained in the Vatican 2 church) priest could come and the gas station was remodeled.

1. Can people in houses refuse smart meters there? Thanks for the detailed information on radon; that is why I originally posted the breath of fresh outdoor low radon air comment. I had learned from research on it.

I am approaching this by not bothering the priest who handles several parishes in Tennessee too. But he knows about me; later on would be a righter-er time. There are daily masses; he carries on catechism classes too. He is well-liked it so happens. The best part is that all of this is valid. I'm sorry to introduce personal here but maybe it is of interest: I did not start out catholic and am the granddaughter of a Lutheran minister who helped found a seminary in Canada. A circuitous route I certainly did travel.

Honolulu is great in each and every single detail - is perfect for me with the huge exception that it utterly lacks people who have seen the same thing I have. As things continue to develop out of Rome though perhaps others like myself will be migrating to strange and out of the way places.

For me, in Honolulu, out of the way is highly desirable.

And an interesting fact about Hawaii in general is: Hawaii currently has the honor of being the longest lived place in the US by 20% according to recent statistics. BUT! and it is a big one: Fukushima radiation most definitely is a factor here. There is no question that the ocean is radiated; I am thankful for the time I had in it, on the Big Island.

In a few years, Hawaii mortality rates will be showing as rising; evidently there is information now on various diseases which have gone up. I do not follow this topic at all. But when it happened, I went around with a mask (which doesn't help!) when biking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:19 PM

183 posts, read 229,164 times
By "smart meters" do you mean the meters that are read remotely from the utility office's headquarters? I don't beleive those are in wide use around here. My utilities come thru Huntsville Utilities. Not sure if that is the same company that serves Lacey's Spring or if there is a cooperative out there. Huntsville Utilities still comes out once a month and reads my meter.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
I believe Lacey's Spring is served by Joe Wheeler Electric Cooperative for electric and also possibly for natural gas. Water via Northeast Morgan County Water Authority. No sewer service - everybody's on septic tank. Many homes in that area use propane and have tanks.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:18 PM

"Smart meters" do what Turkey Ruben says I think but the two-way communication aspect of them may be what is different from an ordinary meter. In other parts of the country people have stood with a gun to prevent their installation. They affect people like wi-fi I am speculating. Both replies are helpful. Thank you.

Definition on line: A smart meter is an electronic device that records consumption of electric energy in intervals of an hour or less and communicates that information at least daily back to the utility for monitoring and billing. Smart meters enable two-way communication between the meter and the central system. Unlike home energy monitors, smart meters can gather data for remote reporting.

Last edited by Neevans; 01-18-2017 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: typo with quote

Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 PM

I decided against Huntsville area for now. If anyone wants to correspond with me about or have some information on pre-Vatican 2 rccatholicism then private message me. To help other people I may eventually begin a blog on it. Thank you for your help. I'm now looking at Brooksville, Florida and will be revisiting the other options. I want the south due to family heritage, at least if I can get it! Aloha to all readers from here, where it is very very cold by our standards: 3 blankets needed.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:34 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post

Edited to add... Hell, I couldn't even find the spring.
The spring was disturbed years ago when 231 was widened but it still exists. It just comes out of the rock. I believe there is a historical marker near it but I can't remember for sure and I haven't been through there enough in the past number of years to remember exactly where the spring is and describe where to look. Here is a website about Lacey's Spring and it's history: http://www.laceysspring.org/

Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neevans View Post
I decided against Huntsville area for now. If anyone wants to correspond with me about or have some information on pre-Vatican 2 rccatholicism then private message me. To help other people I may eventually begin a blog on it. Thank you for your help. I'm now looking at Brooksville, Florida and will be revisiting the other options. I want the south due to family heritage, at least if I can get it! Aloha to all readers from here, where it is very very cold by our standards: 3 blankets needed.
Good luck, Neevans!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
OP = "Fukushima radiation most definitely is a factor here (Hawaii). There is no question that the ocean is radiated"

vs

Quote:
Fukushima residents exposed to far less radiation than thought

For Date residents, it’s good news that radiation levels are lower than expected. But the result comes with a less-than-silver lining: Some of the region’s expensive, time-consuming decontamination efforts—such as the removal of topsoil and tree bark—might not have been necessary.
Fukushima residents exposed to far less radiation than thought | Science | AAAS

Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The spring was disturbed years ago when 231 was widened but it still exists. It just comes out of the rock. I believe there is a historical marker near it but I can't remember for sure and I haven't been through there enough in the past number of years to remember exactly where the spring is and describe where to look. Here is a website about Lacey's Spring and it's history: http://www.laceysspring.org/

Interesting.. Thank you. That explains the spring I never found while living there. It's funny that both Arab & Lacey's Spring ended up with their names because of typos. I wonder how many other towns that's happened to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area