Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,377,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What you are saying proves nothing
Except that the link you provided contains contradictory opinions.

You also mentioned the Horse:

Quote:
The staff is just rude and the whole atmosphere is highly discriminatory. I hate to use the race card, but my black friends always seem to havr a hard time.
Quote:
The crowd is reflective of the population. There is a diverse mix. I get tired of hearing the race card played, its not the 60's anymore so get over it. If you are not getting in its because you look like trouble or you are broke.
Quote:
There is a dress code.All of you know though if you know people inside then you can "slide" by.So the **** card stop pulling it out..its 2007 now!!Also if they were **** why are there 2 african americans that work there. And one of the black guys actually turns down other black guys.So is that **** too?And I have been w/ white guys to this club and they got turned down for wearing a t-shirt.Thats understandable.When you go to a club you should dress nice. Females are not going home w/ some thug ass looking guy.
Quote:
As far as dress codes and such,I have been with white and black people and all have been turned away for dress code. I have seen alot of diff cultures in this club from black,white, asian to iranian......so instead of complaining about the door....learn to dress!!!! better
Quote:
It's a great club if your white, but not if your african American. The security at the door (big white guy) are just plain ****.
Quote:
I have been to this club and observed their policy of turning away almost all African Americans for ridiculous reasons, yet whites are allowed in without as much as a question.
Yep, the Horse is racist:

Quote:
Music Type: Rap
Music Type: Hip-Hop
ClubRatingz.com - Ratings for Nightclub Horse, The

Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,375,197 times
[quote=Reactionary;3029012]Except that the link you provided contains contradictory opinions.

You also mentioned the Horse:

I never said it proves anything I just said there are people who have had experiences that they feel are discriminatory I feel like I have since I'm not a thug nor have I looked like one and met the dress code, yet I've had problems in both places, and all of my friends have too we talk about these experiences all the time but we just have to accept it because society and some people choose to pretend like it doesn't exist. And having a black bouncer means nothing thats just a good way for them to pretend like they aren't applying different racial standards. I don't think stereotyping is good if you have a standard apply it equally to every race. I can tell you I went clubbing in Phoenix for 6 straight days one time and not once had a problem with getting in. I don't look like a thug or have the thug look yet I'm still singled out here. I'm sure there are many people like you who don't see it this way and I respect peoples opinion and I agree with some of the points that you are saying but you can't discount something somebody else experienced, I'm not discounting the people who are treated fairly at Sammy T's. I don't want thugs in the club anymore than you do like I said most of those people probably don't belong so I have no problem with them turning them away (especially since the less guys the better) but discrimination of any kind if wrong. Just like it would be wrong to accuse every Arab or muslim of being a terrorist even if a lot of them are.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-04-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 PM

410 posts, read 1,646,770 times
H-S: I have no idea what you look like normally or on those particular nights, so the following comments are intended in general and may not apply to you at all. (However, saying that you wore a shirt that had been shrunken in the wash doesn't sound like particular pains were taken to dress appropriately.)

Bars sell booze. Nightclubs sell atmosphere and experience. A nightclub with a line out front is by nature going to be selective, pushy and inclined to encourage people to leave who aren't fitting the atmosphere or spending enough money.

Young and hot chicks get in -- groups of young, hot chicks get in absolutely first (and their chubby friend does, too, or the token guy in the group.) Not so hot chicks get in. Chicks showing some skin get in. Guys with dates usually get in. Happy people being happy without being too loud while standing in line get in. Friends of the bouncers and owners get in.

Looks matter less with guys than attire. Two guys, dressed and behaving well, tend to get in. Single guys are a bit tougher; groups of men are the toughest yet.

People who show up early get in so the club can start making money and seem busy and hip. Then, if the line outside has "better people" for the atmosphere, people inside are going to be encouraged to leave. If you aren't spending enough and there are fresh wallets outside, you are going to be encouraged to leave. If there are girls outside and too many guys inside and they are at their occupancy limit, you are going to be encouraged to leave. If you are part of a group that's being obnoxious, loud, drunk or doesn't quite fit in, you are going to be encouraged to leave. It's very rare that a nightclub will actually say why, so they have a stock set of excuses for purging the low hanging fruit. "Long shirts" sounds like just such a stock excuse.

If girls complain about you, forget it, you're outside.

Nightclubs are subjective and completely unfair, more like a high school clique than a whole school. Every club strives for a distinct atmosphere they can sell as their own. If you don't want to (or can't) play the game, don't go. Maybe Sammy T's is racist; I can't say, but you could be bumping up against some of those unwritten rules about nightclubs or Sammy's in particular that has nothing to do with race, because people everywhere complain about the entrance policy at clubs and how it relates to themselves.

And if you really feel like a place doesn't treat you well after you adhere to all the written and unwritten rules, spend your money elsewhere. It's harder in a place like Huntsville where the options are fewer, but why reward bad behavior?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:23 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,375,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleC View Post
H-S: I have no idea what you look like normally or on those particular nights, so the following comments are intended in general and may not apply to you at all. (However, saying that you wore a shirt that had been shrunken in the wash doesn't sound like particular pains were taken to dress appropriately.)

Bars sell booze. Nightclubs sell atmosphere and experience. A nightclub with a line out front is by nature going to be selective, pushy and inclined to encourage people to leave who aren't fitting the atmosphere or spending enough money.

Young and hot chicks get in -- groups of young, hot chicks get in absolutely first (and their chubby friend does, too, or the token guy in the group.) Not so hot chicks get in. Chicks showing some skin get in. Guys with dates usually get in. Happy people being happy without being too loud while standing in line get in. Friends of the bouncers and owners get in.

Looks matter less with guys than attire. Two guys, dressed and behaving well, tend to get in. Single guys are a bit tougher; groups of men are the toughest yet.

People who show up early get in so the club can start making money and seem busy and hip. Then, if the line outside has "better people" for the atmosphere, people inside are going to be encouraged to leave. If you aren't spending enough and there are fresh wallets outside, you are going to be encouraged to leave. If there are girls outside and too many guys inside and they are at their occupancy limit, you are going to be encouraged to leave. If you are part of a group that's being obnoxious, loud, drunk or doesn't quite fit in, you are going to be encouraged to leave. It's very rare that a nightclub will actually say why, so they have a stock set of excuses for purging the low hanging fruit. "Long shirts" sounds like just such a stock excuse.

If girls complain about you, forget it, you're outside.

Nightclubs are subjective and completely unfair, more like a high school clique than a whole school. Every club strives for a distinct atmosphere they can sell as their own. If you don't want to (or can't) play the game, don't go. Maybe Sammy T's is racist; I can't say, but you could be bumping up against some of those unwritten rules about nightclubs or Sammy's in particular that has nothing to do with race, because people everywhere complain about the entrance policy at clubs and how it relates to themselves.

And if you really feel like a place doesn't treat you well after you adhere to all the written and unwritten rules, spend your money elsewhere. It's harder in a place like Huntsville where the options are fewer, but why reward bad behavior?
The shirt was fine... it was a longer shirt that had shrunk a little so it looked like a shirt most of the white guys who got in would wear. I understand the whole getting into the club issue, especially in bigger more vibrant cities with a really competitive night life. This is Huntsville, its not always crowded here. This same thing happens on nights where there is no line at all.None of this still explains the frequency of black males with the same type clothes, shirt, length being frequently turned away as whites with similar clothes on. And i've never seen them kick somebody out of the club in my life because they "weren't spending enough money" or buying enough drinks or kick anyone out period that wasn't causing some kind of incident so this whole kick people out to let people outside in thing to me is a big surprise, its pretty much once u get in your in, in the clubs i have been to. Clubs with a more VIP feel are probably like this but not Sammy T's. I haven't really been to the horse enough times to say for sure if I feel like they are operating in a discriminatory way, and that club does have a much more VIP/upscale feel than Sammy T's but I can speak for my experiences at Sammy T's. Anyway its pointless to argue this issue with people who haven't experienced it first hand, I know people complain about getting into the club in all places but Sammy's seems to be a lot more racially oriented.

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 03-04-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 04:13 PM

22 posts, read 91,093 times
In a way I feel bad that this thread has turned negative, but communication and discussions are the only way to bring this type of issue out in the open. Unfortunately there is no quick fix to this sort of problem. I just hope that enough people will voice their opinion about this and force those clubs to change the way they do things.

I'm glad to hear that other aspects of life, besides the club scene, are positive in that area. Can anyone comment on the school system, and how students of different races are treated by teachers and faculty. I'm interested to hear all comments, whether they be positive or negative.

Thanks,
Jessica

Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM

Then perhaps I misunderstood, but when you mentioned "harassing" you about your shirt once you were inside, I interpreted that as "encouragement to leave."

Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 PM

602 posts, read 1,955,487 times
"And if you really feel like a place doesn't treat you well after you adhere to all the written and unwritten rules, spend your money elsewhere. It's harder in a place like Huntsville where the options are fewer, but why reward bad behavior?"

Absolutely right. Let free-market principles settle it, because indignation doesn't work so well. If someone (and by that I mean a business) isn't acting right, don't let them have any of your money, and encourage others who agree with you to do likewise. Money talks, and if they hear silence, maybe they'll straighten up. Appealing to someone's self-interest will get you more than appealing to their better nature, b/c many people don't HAVE better natures.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM

22 posts, read 91,093 times
I agree with that. If I was being treated unfairly at a club, or anywhere else for that matter, I wouldn't give them a dime of my money, and would encourage others to do the same. I would also complain to as many people as I could and get the word out. If you're single though, it's probably tough because you want to experience the night life and it sounds like your options are limited in Huntsville. But out of principle, I wouldn't go back and certainly wouldn't spend one cent of my money there. I would hope that my friends would back me up and avoid the place also.

If enough people get angry and boycott the place, things will eventually have to change.

Jessica

Old 03-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNtweety View Post
If you're single though, it's probably tough because you want to experience the night life and it sounds like your options are limited in Huntsville.
Huntsville has entertainment options which are about normal for this size of city. Actual "nightlife" per se is relatively sparse, but there are other things to do.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,377,000 times
NicoleC - good points; you seem to be a subject matter expert

Huntsville_secede - I can't really add anything else except that I'm glad you post here. I learn from your comments here and at skyscraper. Say it loud...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area