Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 11,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
1976-1996? wow. Of course, everything was lollipops and gumdrops back then anyway. LOL. And you are the one not being realistic to people who are deciding which areas to live in. Stone and Butler are nothing like they were back in 1971. Parents who care about their children and can afford it, will not voluntarily choose this school district.

Anybody else wanna give their version of the "good ol' days..."?
It is true in many places that time can change the demographics, quality and attraction of neighborhoods. One concern is that although revitalization sounds good, could it also lead to gentrification of current residents? As property values increase, those living there prior to the increases may not be able to afford the area anymore, thus losing their homes. And I am not only talking about poor black people if anyone reads my post in that manner, so please do not be offended. There may also be senior citizens on social security, etc.

Good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:07 PM

889 posts, read 2,397,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by financelife View Post
I have done very well considering growing up in Sec 8 and food stamps. Many people who grow up this way never pull themselves up.
Again, congratulations there, "hard times." You've made it abundantly clear that you grew up in the worst of situations and made lemons into lemonade. You should write a self-help book about your life to encourage other kids from the "35805" to aspire to greatness.

I'm probably like 5 or 6 years older than you (I wasn't even alive in 1971 by the way). I'm sure the "35805" went completely downhill in the 5 years after I left. Glad to see it's on the rebound now that I've returned several years later. And yes, the schools suck here (Butler, Stone, Westlawn, West Huntsville, etc) when one analyzes graduation rates, standardized tests, etc. By those standards, they were pretty bad even WAY WAY back in the days of "lollipops and gumdrops" known as the late 80s/early 90s when I was in high school. These schools' deficiencies are well documented on these boards and elsewhere on the WWW. No need for me to elaborate. My wife (also a BHS grad) and I will have to make that hard decision whether to stay or leave based on schools pretty soon ourselves when our child reaches school age. But apparently there are some wonderful success stories of kids growing up in the streets of West Huntsville still to be written. I'm sure you and I are not the last.

It IS misleading to make it sound like the whole zip code is covered up with crackheads, pimps, prostitutes, and homeless. It is fairly isolated to the areas near the homeless shelter on 9th Ave and the areas SE of Drake and Triana. That hardly covers the entire zip code. Like you, financelife, my wife and I chose to move back to Holiday Homes because it is familiar and cheap. It ain't sexy in SW Huntsville, but it ain't that bad either. We are not financially tied here. We live here because we chose to. We both feel comfortable here and relatively safe and that's the point I was trying to put across in my previous post.

Amen brother, the schools suck. But as an educator, both a teacher and administrator (and I've said this on the boards before), a student will get as much out of school as he/she AND his/her parents put into it, regardless of the school. I've taught in real inner-city schools and have seen time and time again, students whose parents are involved in their education will usually do fine. And that's the real problem with "bad" schools like the ones you and I attended. It's not for lack of good, dedicated teachers or facilities or wads of cash that can magically fix anything in the school board's eyes. It's family involvement. Bad schools are merely a hindrance to a solid education, one that can be overcome, as you and I apparently prove. There are good teachers even in schools like Butler, Johnson, and Lee.

And I won't waste other people's time on the boards with my life's hardships and accomplishments (not that I had it that bad). I don't think my accomplishments are particularly noteworthy or exceptional, rather expected. You and I are not exceptional. And yours and my "great" accomplishments would be merely expected had you and I gone to Grissom. So why should our expectations be any different having gone to Butler?

Anyway, financelife, feel free to PM. I don't think we should waste people's time debating our different perspectives on "35805" further on this thread. And anyone else who is curious about a native 35805er's thoughts on the area especially in the vicinity of Holiday Homes and Merrimack Village, feel free to PM as well. I definitely won't give you a rose-colored glasses view of the area, but I'm not gonna tell you it's like living in Compton or South Chicago or something either. And I will repeat that Merrimack is certainly on the upswing. I'm amazed by the turnaround that historic neighborhood has experienced in recent years. Hopefully some of that momentum will spill over into the Holiday Homes and Archer Park areas.

Last edited by deesonic; 07-17-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 18,431 times
Hi guys, first post here. I am planning on moving out on my own sometime this year, probably this fall. I have been researching apartments in Huntsville because I work in Hampton Cove, and I go to school at Calhoun.(Right now I live with my parents in East Morgan Co, and its a long commute.) I know there are some bad areas in SW Hsv, and much of the crime comes from the apartments in the area. Does anyone know about Creekside Commons(formally Woodway Pines)? It seems like one of the better apartments that are in my price range. It seems like a pretty good area just from driving around there. Its just off Triana, beside Milton Frank Stadium, and Brahan Spring Park.

I'm not too worried about my safety, but I would not like to live at a place where I think my car and motorcycle are going to be stolen/vandalized. All the reviews I've read about the complex are not good at all, could this place really be worse than Hunter's Ridge, because I've heard plenty of bad things about that place.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:56 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,184 times
last time I was in that area, I saw a prostitute get picked up about 10 yards down the road from me. I was hanging out at a friend's house. He lives on Triana, almost to the Drake intersection. I don't think he has had any problems yet. But it can look rough at night. We have had conversations with people walking down the street that were obviously either high on something or brain dead from a life of drugs.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 18,431 times
Are the prostitutes, and drug addicts pretty friendly? lol, as long as there is little violence, and break-ins I don't think I mind the roughness of it too bad. From what I seen in the daytime, it seems like a nice area, sandwiched between some rough looking places.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 8,310 times
Im an investor looking to buy apartments in Huntsville. What would be a good/bad area to buy? Im looking for white/blue collar tenants. Not interested in housing projects. Thanks

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,578 times
Default Moving to Huntsville , Al

Hi, I'm moving to Huntsville next month from Chicago ( very nervous!)
I am looking into the Arch street apartment complex. Any opinions on that.
Also if anyone can say something to calm my nerves about moving there it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 12:19 AM

703 posts, read 935,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda612 View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Huntsville next month from Chicago ( very nervous!)
Having visited Chicago once I find this statement very amusing.

I'm still researching places to live near HSV, but I've read reviews saying that Apartments in these zipe codes are pretty safe:

Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Apparently there is a rapist targeting the area around Webster Dr (in 35801). A widely disseminated public information campaign suggests that you hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband too.

PS: I'm surprised no one mentioned this already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area