Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:30 AM

638 posts, read 696,333 times

Advertisements

My Dad in Tennessee still files paper returns, and wants the printed instructions. Since the Post Offices largely have very little these days, I pick them up at the IRS TAC for him.

Except not today, as the office has signs up that it is currently closed. Not sure if "currently closed" means temporary or permanent, though I'm betting on the latter. But no worries, you can still drive to the TAC in Florence.

https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-my-...ice-in-alabama

Looked and couldn't find anything about it in the local news sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:40 AM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
My Dad in Tennessee still files paper returns, and wants the printed instructions. Since the Post Offices largely have very little these days, I pick them up at the IRS TAC for him.

Except not today, as the office has signs up that it is currently closed. Not sure if "currently closed" means temporary or permanent, though I'm betting on the latter. But no worries, you can still drive to the TAC in Florence.

You should be able to go to the IRS web site and print out anything you need.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 PM

638 posts, read 696,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
That's good for forms, but the instruction books are thick-ish so I'm not wanting to print those out. For my own returns, I cough up the money for TurboTax. If Dad lived closer, I would do his that way as well.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:10 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:

Might have been closed because of the weather. Things around here lately shut down for the least little things. Redstone and NASA were closed Friday-Wednesday, Friday because of a threat of snow that never happened, Monday because of a holiday, and Tuesday & Wednesday because of road conditions. We really, really need to stop just shutting down for days for a half inch of snow. "It doesn't happen very often" is no excuse ... just calculate the wages that were paid for doing no work for those 3 days. It's astounding. And that's not to even mention the businesses that were closed.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM

609 posts, read 528,901 times
Quote:
That's good for forms, but the instruction books are thick-ish so I'm not wanting to print those out. For my own returns, I cough up the money for TurboTax. If Dad lived closer, I would do his that way as well.
The Post Office on Governors used to carry forms and instructions years ago. No idea if they still do though.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:14 PM

169 posts, read 206,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
"It doesn't happen very often" is no excuse ... just calculate the wages that were paid for doing no work for those 3 days. It's astounding.
Do people still get paid just to sit at home when there's "inclement weather"? I thought that stopped happening back in the 90s. All the contractors I know could either work from home or take vacation. The government folks generally have to telework, take an AWS day, or use other scheduled time. Or are you saying those who work from home don't really?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 PM

152 posts, read 240,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
Do people still get paid just to sit at home when there's "inclement weather"? I thought that stopped happening back in the 90s. All the contractors I know could either work from home or take vacation. The government folks generally have to telework, take an AWS day, or use other scheduled time. Or are you saying those who work from home don't really?
I work on MSFC, and I got paid for a half day Friday when they shut down early, and for all day Wednesday. Although oddly enough, not for Tuesday. I’ve been out there since 2000, and that’s the first time I had to use a vacation day when the base closed. Even when we were out for over a week after the April 2011 tornadoes, I still got paid without taking PTO or teleworking.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:20 AM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
Generally speaking, if the Arsenal is closed, or NASA elects to close but the Army doesn't, government employees get administrative leave ... meaning they get paid but don't have to take vacation time. It's a free day for them.

Contractors are an entirely different story. I suppose if there were "work from home" employees with the government, they would still have to work but when I was there there were very few of those. That may have changed but probably not a lot.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:52 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston3124 View Post
It is a waste to just print them out. If you want to do your taxes it is better to:
1. Save needed forms (and instructions) to a computer
2. Open each form
3. Edit forms adding your data
4. Save edited forms
5. Print forms when finished

Sure beats filling out the forms by hand. You also have the advantage of saving the filled out forms to your computer. If you need a program to open the forms all you need is the free program Adobe Reader.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 PM

414 posts, read 400,102 times
Sometimes the public libraries will have forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area