Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 AM

262 posts, read 791,171 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Harvest next month, and I would like to go ahead and get utilities established prior to our arrival so we do not have to wait very long for service. Does Huntsville Utilities do all water/sewage/garbage? Also, I need some recommendations for telphone/cable/internet service, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 AM

16 posts, read 84,602 times
Water will come from the Harvest Monrovia Water Authority and power (and I believe garbage) will come from Huntsville Utilities. It all depends on where you live as to who you can get for your cable provider. You can always go with one of the Satellite services and Bellsouth for internet. Welcome to the area.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 AM

280 posts, read 684,283 times
Huntsville Utilities does the electric, and bills the garbage pick up. (No sewer, we are on a septic tank) My water is with the Harvest/Monrovia water authority and they charged a $50 deposit. (Not sureof the Hsv Util deposit, we have had them forever) We have Knology for cable, internet and phone. We are very happy with Knology, we get all 3 services for less than we paid Direct TV for just our TV before moving here. Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 AM

We will be living in Magnolia Springs, if that makes a difference?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 AM

142 posts, read 672,806 times
Default Utilities, TV, Internet in Harvest

HARVEST-MONROVIA WATER & SEWER AUTHORITY
http://www.hmwater.org

Water provider. You will most likely have a wastewater treatment facility for your development or your own septic tank.

HUNTSVILLE UTILITIES
http://www.hsvutil.org

For Gas and Electric, and they bill for Garbage pickup.

PHONE
http://www.bellsouth.com

CABLE
This is a good one --- Knology, Comcast, and MediaCom all serve portions of Madison County. However, you may not find them in a new subdivision. I've been in a new subdivision less than 2 miles north of US-72\University Blvd in Monrovia for 2 years and none of the 3 serve us.

This leaves Dish and DirecTV.

I like Dish because you can have 2 TVs served by 1 receiver.

INTERNET
Another good one --- The 3 cable companies may not be an option.

BellSouth\AT&T is an option for DSL, but there may be a long wait due to all the new homes. Demand for DSL service keeps them behind...i.e. equipment fills up and you have to wait until BellSouth installs more. I know people who have waited a year in Harvest Monrovia area for DSL.

One excellent option is BamaWISP. They provide wireless internet connectivity to your home and are reasonably priced.
http://www.bamawisp.net

Satellite is your other option.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Thank you all so much for the information!! That's why I love this place

Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,919,243 times
I live in Magnolia Springs and everything is pretty much right on. H/M Water, Hsv Utilities, Knology is in here, I don't know if Comcast has made it in here yet, but of course Directv and Dish Network. You can bundle Directv with AT&T ( Bellsouth ) services like DSL, Home and Cell phones and get them all on one bill and you get them all at a discounted rate. But make sure you go through AT&T to contact Directv, if you want to go that route.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Do you know if DishTV bundles with any telephone companies? I know there is already a DishTV satellite at this house.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 AM

16 posts, read 84,602 times
Welcome to the Neighborhood!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,919,243 times
I don't think Dish bundles with anyone, but I don't know for sure. You should not have to pay for the equipment anyway. I have had Directv forever, and back then I had to pay for everything including installation. Now they usually give you everything free, including installation because they make all their money in the monthly fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area