Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 12,475 times

Advertisements

I am a 32 single male and I have grown up in Charlotte. I have relocated to Columbia SC and now am getting transferred to Huntsville. I am looking to get into an apartment that is in a nice part of town or where there is as little crime as possible. Please if anyone knows of some apartments that are nice and near places that a single 32 year old male would like, please post!! I have no clue as to where to look, what to expect as this is the first time I have relocated to a place where I have never been to in my life!! Also what is the demographics on age in Huntsville? Is there a big single community? Thanks for any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,494 times
I've lived at the Vintage Apartment at the corner of Old Madison Pike and Slaughter Road before I moved into my house. It was a very nice, safe, well-managed complex. The office and maintenance folks were generally eager to help you. Although it's very close to the Redstone Arsenal, Research Park, and Bridge Street (a brand new outdoor mall in Huntsville), the rush hour traffic on Madison Pike made commuting somewhat difficult.

The Paddock Club apartments in Providence (off US-72 west) is also really nice. There are several new restaurants within walking distance: Phuket (Thai food), Market Street Cafe (home cooking), Grill 29 (upscale steak, seafood), and Mellow Mushroom (pizza, coming soon).

Generally, SE Huntsville, the far West part of Huntsville, and Madison are the safest parts of town. NW Huntsville between Memorial parkway and Research Park blvd (aka Rideout Rd.) and SW Huntsville (west of Memorial parkway and south of I-565) might be areas to avoid, based on reputation, although I don't have any personal experience living in these parts of town.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,380,025 times
Look at Monte Sano Terrace. It is across the street from biking / hiking trails, close to downtown bars (Humphrey's, Mason's), and convenient to Research Park and the Arsenal.

As far as singles go, HSV is a great place to raise a family.

Look for HYP events when you get here.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 12,475 times
Thanks for the imput.. I am assuming when you say it is a great place to raise a family.. are you implying you should be married before you get there? I am going to look into the Apartments that were listed. Thanks again for your help and I will look in to the HYP when I get there.

Swoosh23

Old 03-25-2008, 11:35 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,380,025 times
swoosh23 - just a heads up that the singles scene here is what you make it. Some people note the lack of bars, lack of vibrant downtown, tough to meet people, etc...

There's plenty to do if you've got a good attitude: nice parks for hiking / biking / birdwatching; rivers and lakes for boating / canoeing; lots of sports to play; some sports to watch (baseball - Stars, soccer - FC United, hockey - Havoc, roller derby - Dixie Derby Girls); a few good bars; a few festivals (Big Spring Jam and Panoply); HYP events; a few decent coffeeshops; lots of volunteering opportunities... Plus, Bham, Nashville, and Chattanooga are less than two hours away. The beach is six hours.

If you're interested in furthering your education, UAH is a good school.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 AM

602 posts, read 1,955,912 times
I have also heard good things about The Vintage. It's right next to the Indian Creek Greenway, a biking/walking/skating/running park which is apparently a good place to exercise and meet people.

From experience, I have to warn you off Royal Pines Apartments (on Old Madison Pike, just east of Research Park Blvd). When we lived there from 03-05, the complex was already tobogganing madly downhill, in terms of safety and maintenance quality, and their management was notably unethical and dishonest when it came time for us to buy a house (lease buyout). They gave us about four different stories, none of which matched, about our lease buyout, demanding more and more money each time. By a decrease in safety, I'm talking about increasingly frequent incidents of vandalism to parked vehicles, altercations in the parking lot, etc.

Last edited by FlourChild; 03-26-2008 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: correcting misspelled word

Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM

168 posts, read 557,494 times
I can recommend a slightly off-track place to rent. For three years I lived in the Country Club Apartments on Airport Road. You are close to the restaurants, Crestwood Hospital and a few bars. I lived in a building with nine other units. I didn't have a problem with noise or crime. You may want to look into renting one of the villas they offer. The villas are small, one-story condos. There is a big open green area in the middle of the complex. There is a pool and a barbecue area in the open area. Tennis courts next to the swimming pool. I enjoyed living there and I found the management to be easy to work with when I got married and needed a couple extra months to rent until I moved into a house. The rates were great, I rented a two-bedroom unit and it was cheaper than a single unit at Paddock. As long as you turn right out of the complex, no problem with traffic. Turning left onto Airport may present some difficulties during morning/afternoon rush hour.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:11 AM

142 posts, read 672,330 times
Default Highland Pointe

http://www.sealyrealty.com/highlandpointe.html

Check out Highland Pointe apartments.

On Jeff Road, a 1/4 mile north of University Blvd and Jeff Rd intersection.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 53,477 times
Look into Windscape apartments in Madison off Sullivan street it has easy access to I-565 Madison Huntsville Alabama Apartments - Windscape Apartments . Great place to live.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 AM

339 posts, read 625,680 times
I have to agree, Royal Pines was where I lived when I first moved to HSV, in 97-99. I moved to the apartments behind Target off of University (they've changed names so many times I can't keep track). I would avoid both of those. Royal Pines was slowly sliding when I was there, and the other apartments had some people that I would not choose to live beside.

I can't help much on demographics, I'm 30 but I haven't been single in a long time. I agree with what everyone else here said - I've heard good things about Monte Sano Terrace but never lived there, and most of the other apartments (especially in the Madison area) are good. It depends on where you work too, if you want to be closer to work if you work downtown or near the hospital then Madison may not be the best option.

Jake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area