Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:40 AM

12,612 posts, read 9,111,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
BHM has 3 x more enplanements daily than HSV, and nearly double the overall operations. BHM's main runway is also 12,000', HSV's is 12,600'.

If you want to brag about HSV as concerned with BHM, cargo should be your argument, not passengers or operations. HSV moves 412 million lbs. of cargo to BHM's 178 million lbs. Per year.
It's actually closer to twice, and notbody's bragging. Even if it was 10 times that doesn't mean planes would be landing and taking off every 10 seconds or so as in Los Angeles. There's still plenty of free air space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 09:27 AM

170 posts, read 138,609 times
Quote:
Any idea on what the fighters(?) are?
The only fighter-like fixed-wing aircraft I have seen overhead are, I believe, F5s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's actually closer to twice, and notbody's bragging. Even if it was 10 times that doesn't mean planes would be landing and taking off every 10 seconds or so as in Los Angeles. There's still plenty of free air space.
1,304,467 enplanements vs. 527,801. 2.5 times. Guess we're both right.

I am just pointing out that you hate Birmingham, and have an intense complex about it, and post opinions as though they are facts.

I'm pretty familiar with both of these airports. You do not understand airspace. On top of that, HSV does have two long runways to divert traffic, BHM does not. It's secondary runway is not nearly as viable as the main runway, thus concentrating the traffic there.

HSV has about 68 military ops per day vs. 18 or so for BHM. There's a reason for that.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:18 PM

143 posts, read 152,415 times
The T-38's are out of Columbus, the pilots practice approaches and landings. The KC-135's are out of Meridian and do practice approaches as well.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:08 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,944,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrab View Post
The T-38's are out of Columbus, the pilots practice approaches and landings. The KC-135's are out of Meridian and do practice approaches as well.
Are you sure? The KC-135's are based at BHM and Meridian is a Navy facility primarily servicing the T-45 (I think).

Old 03-28-2018, 07:25 PM

46,179 posts, read 26,838,919 times
O.K., I'll ask....the OP wants to know about planes, yet tells us where a plane is coming from?

Sorry, but that's weird...if you have the ability to tell us where a plane is coming from but don't have the ability to look up what a certain plane is....well....I have to call BS on that one.....

OPSEC.....folks.....

Old 03-28-2018, 07:37 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,505,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
O.K., I'll ask....the OP wants to know about planes, yet tells us where a plane is coming from?

Sorry, but that's weird...if you have the ability to tell us where a plane is coming from but don't have the ability to look up what a certain plane is....well....I have to call BS on that one.....

OPSEC.....folks.....
well most alert folks know the 747 freighters that land in Huntsville are from Europe, Asia, South America.
Flight tracker will tell us that info.
Military aircraft, probably not

Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
The only fighter-like fixed-wing aircraft I have seen overhead are, I believe, F5s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5
That looks like what comes in out there, but the Wikipedia says the only US user is the Navy, and I'm pretty sure I've seen AF markings on the ones at the airport. I've also seen one with just a single engine. Looks like the F-5 has two.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 PM

46,179 posts, read 26,838,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
well most alert folks know the 747 freighters that land in Huntsville are from Europe, Asia, South America.
Most alert, thanks for the diss....?

Well, you provide a large range of areas, yet the OP provided a single city......

So, I looked up flight tracker....

https://www.flightview.com/flighttracker/

From what I gather, the OP decided where a flight came from because it landed...flight tracker needs more than just where it landed.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Also, just by looking on the Airport web site (or Facebook page I guess it is now), it says where the Panalpina, Atlas, and Carolux planes go to and come from, so the knowledge isn't magic.

I saw one of the Russian Antonov aircraft there one morning taxiing and taking off, and that thing is huge. It wasn't even the largest one. Presumably it was some sort of NASA payload, perhaps Russian rocket engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area