Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 AM

141 posts, read 173,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoping4Huntsville View Post
We moved from central NC to Dothan in 2013 and I'm pretty sure they consider everything north of Montgomery to be "yankee" territory. One of the most backwards areas I have ever been to in many ways. Not completely......but in many ways!

Edited the last post so as not to appear to be an A-hole. Many good people here in the "Circle City" but it's just not my cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,464,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And they're still pumping up the "northern bypass" in Birmingham that in my experience from driving there isn't needed at all, and it's a very expensive project. I'm not even convinced that I-22 was needed, but it was on the books for so many years that something had to happen.

Kay Ivey is a "good old girl" from rural central/south Alabama and has no idea how to deal with urban areas, and who can barely speak understandable English. That said, she'll probably be reelected since she's been rather benign ... neither active nor controversial ... and I don't think the state will ever have a governor from the Huntsville area. We're considiered a pariah by most of the rest of the state ... stopped in Dothan one time; someone asked where we were from, and when told, they said "Oh, you're from up north". So the backward attitude about "yankees" is even present for portions within our own state.
I-22 was needed since both Memphis and Birmingham are major logistics, distribution hubs, and inland ports. Both cities needed a direct connection to Atlanta since it relies on the latter two for other portions of the Interior "MidSouth" distribution and logistics network.

That said, ALDOT has historically shorthanded both Huntsville and Birmingham in lieu of low to no growth Montgomery and rural South Central Alabama. Birmingham had apply ample push with it being the host city of major events and the BJCC expansion in the coming years, thus forcing ALDOT to make necessary improvements to the regional infrastructure. It's only catchup for Birmingham as the regional ITS system has been barely implemented and the I-65 HOV lane(s) have been shelved by ALDOT and the MPO within the poorly led Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham (RPCGB). I am certain Birmingham empathizes with Huntsville's frustration over lack of improvements to the regional expressway infrastructure.

I highly doubt Kay Ivey is going to make it pass the June election date without a runoff. If she winds up in a runoff between her and Tommy Battle then she could in fact lose because the economic-minded Republicans in the populated regions of the northern half of Alabama will turn against her at the polls. She has very little support even Birmingham because of her asinine comments about the region at the recent Rotary Club meeting. This stunt guarantees she lacks support in Huntsville and most of the Tennessee Valley with the exceptions of maybe Jackson County.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:48 AM

12,611 posts, read 9,111,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I-22 was needed since both Memphis and Birmingham are major logistics, distribution hubs, and inland ports. Both cities needed a direct connection to Atlanta since it relies on the latter two for other portions of the Interior "MidSouth" distribution and logistics network.

That said, ALDOT has historically shorthanded both Huntsville and Birmingham in lieu of low to no growth Montgomery and rural South Central Alabama. Birmingham had apply ample push with it being the host city of major events and the BJCC expansion in the coming years, thus forcing ALDOT to make necessary improvements to the regional infrastructure. It's only catchup for Birmingham as the regional ITS system has been barely implemented and the I-65 HOV lane(s) have been shelved by ALDOT and the MPO within the poorly led Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham (RPCGB). I am certain Birmingham empathizes with Huntsville's frustration over lack of improvements to the regional expressway infrastructure.

I highly doubt Kay Ivey is going to make it pass the June election date without a runoff. If she winds up in a runoff between her and Tommy Battle then she could in fact lose because the economic-minded Republicans in the populated regions of the northern half of Alabama will turn against her at the polls. She has very little support even Birmingham because of her asinine comments about the region at the recent Rotary Club meeting. This stunt guarantees she lacks support in Huntsville and most of the Tennessee Valley with the exceptions of maybe Jackson County.
I don't watch a lot of local television, but I saw an ad she did (pretty sure it was her) talking about the new bridge proposed, or maybe even approved, that parallels another bridge not too far away in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach . She says it's not needed since one is already there. On the surface, I agree with her. That ad, honestly, is the first time I'd ever heard her utter a word. And with that hick accent, I hope it's the last ... she doesn't present a good face to the rest of the country for Alabama.

What comments did she make about the B'ham region recently? I missed that.

And speaking of I-22 ... isn't that what used to be called Corridor X? If so, that concept has been around for as long as I can remember, and that's a long time. I just think the state could plan and build freeways in places other than B'ham (the traffic's not that bad there ... you're from Atlanta, so you know) and totally not needed projects in Montgomery, like the new I-85 interchange on the east side where the traffic count last time I checked was about 35,000.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I don't watch a lot of local television, but I saw an ad she did (pretty sure it was her) talking about the new bridge proposed, or maybe even approved, that parallels another bridge not too far away in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach . She says it's not needed since one is already there. On the surface, I agree with her. That ad, honestly, is the first time I'd ever heard her utter a word. And with that hick accent, I hope it's the last ... she doesn't present a good face to the rest of the country for Alabama.

https://comebacktown.com/2018/03/20/...foot-in-mouth/

Quote:
“I think Birmingham may have suffered from time to time with some corruption or whatever in different boards or commissions around. Y’all get your act cleaned up and let your reputation shine–because there are some opportunities that would fit well for Birmingham in my view.”
That comment would have been valid a decade ago. However, in 2018 that comment is downright idiotic and ignorant at best. Ivey is clearly not in touch with reality these days. You don't say something that asinine when the region is the state's most economically prosperous and now on the major upswing. You also alienate a large base of GOP voters and leaders in Jefferson County when they are now more in support of a more prosperous Birmingham than ever before.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/37832389/b...iveys-comments

Quote:
And speaking of I-22 ... isn't that what used to be called Corridor X? If so, that concept has been around for as long as I can remember, and that's a long time. I just think the state could plan and build freeways in places other than B'ham (the traffic's not that bad there ... you're from Atlanta, so you know) and totally not needed projects in Montgomery, like the new I-85 interchange on the east side where the traffic count last time I checked was about 35,000.
Yes, I-22 was designated Corridor X back in the 1970s, but ALDOT dragged their feet on completion of the corridor since then. That does not discount the need for the corridor nor its logistical imperative that serves as part of the MidSouth logistics and distribution network system for freight and cargo transport. The US 78 corridor was in extremely poor condition because of these ALDOT delays with the I-22 corridor and overusage by freight trucks to the point that the viaduct over the BNSF Finley Yard aka "Birmingham Intermodal Center" had to be accelerated to prevent its collapsing.

Yeah, I am residing in Atlanta these days, but nobody else in the South except Miami, DC, Houston, nor Dallas-Fort Worth are to the same level as Atlanta with traffic congestion. However, Birmingham does have some serious traffic congestion for its metro size. I-65 and I-20/59 interchange aka Mulfunction Junction sees over 220,000 cars daily. All one has to do is commute along I-65 daily and see that it is an extremely overwhelmed corridor. Discounting that is silly because Birmingham has just begin its recent growth spurt and likely going to continue to need more infrastructural improvements like Huntsville does.

That is all to say, Huntsville is not alone in this aggravation against ALDOT because both cities are shortchanged by the agency on needed funding improvements. Discounting Birmingham to put Huntsville at the top of priority list is not wise because the two cities need one another if they want to both prosper in the long term in this state.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,505,446 times
Mobile has just a relevant argument. They have been fighting for the New I-10 Bay Bridge (this is not the Gulf Shores bridge) for decades now.
https://mobileriverbridge.com/
The point is that the current way aldot does business is not acceptable.
Saying there is no money is not a valid excuse. The money is not allocated correctly.
I-65 is overwhelmed as stated, What was the state doing for the last 20 years to stay ahead?
Fortunately widening has begun around Alabaster but 2-3 years when finished it will be time to extend it again.
Cullman is in dire need of I-65 widening. The states answer to problems is to delay the issue until the current bubbas are gone. Pass the buck.
Huntsville has needed I-565 widening for 20 years, problem state just goes by traffic count which is not an accurate measuring tool. Any new development (hello Toyota) makes all those fancy numbers irrelevant.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:56 PM

757 posts, read 1,090,771 times
Quote:

You are right that I-22 is called Corridor X as part of the Appalachian Development Highway program. I-22 actually has an interesting and unique history as it was not part of the original Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. In the early 1970's a controlled access bypass was built around New Albany, MS for U.S. Highway 78. (The MS Highway Commissioner was from New Albany) Then, section by section, 78 was extended as a controlled access highway to the Tennessee line and also, going southeast to Tupelo, MS and the Alabama state line. By the late 1980's Alabama began constructing the new controlled access road and in some locations, it ended up being a good distance from the original 78. Finally, by the early 2000's, the new controlled access highway was completed all the way to just NW of Birmingham where all traffic was forced to exit onto the existing four lane 78 -( However, you could continue on it (it said "Local Traffic Only") and then be forced to exit about a mile form the Finely Ave. exit with I-65 and take a couple of local roads to reach 65). It took a good 10 years to complete the billion dollar I-65 interchange. When that happened, the highway could officially be called I-22 because the federal rules require that all interstate highways connect to existing interstates.

Anyway, it is a great thing that the State of Mississippi chose to build a controlled access highway as an improvement to U.S. 78 instead of just a four lane like U.S. 72. That fateful decision was the foundation for I-22. There is a surprising amount of traffic on it as it connects two metro areas (Memphis and Birmingham) who have over a million people. I have seen travelers from Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas use it as a way to Florida, so it was definitely worth building.

I say all of this because the State of Mississippi was the initial catalyst and driving force for I-22, not ALDOT.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 PM

634 posts, read 679,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
That comment would have been valid a decade ago.
Actually in an era where the Birmingham Water Works hires engineers that are not actually engineers, I think there is an argument that the comment is valid.

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...oin_state.html

Certainly it was not helpful for the governor to be saying that. It's also not helpful for our lady gov to be claiming I-565 is a priority when the books and plans clearly show that it ain't.

I think this has motivated me to vote Battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I say all of this because the State of Mississippi was the initial catalyst and driving force for I-22, not ALDOT.
That's an excellent point.

ALDOT is the driving force for roads to nowhere like I-422. Or roads that aren't needed like another bridge to Orange Beach. (The toll bridge should never have been built as a toll bridge, but it's just silly to spend $30-60 million to build another bridge practically right next to the toll bridge.) Or maybe two bridges. Do I hear three?

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/3678646...r-orange-beach

Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,505,446 times
Expect other projects that are already delayed to become delayed further, victims of revenge politics. We saw the luv gov do it so now that Governor Ivey has been called out and embarrassed by the Mayor expect nothing much to happen now. Prove me wrong corrupt aldot.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Actually in an era where the Birmingham Water Works hires engineers that are not actually engineers, I think there is an argument that the comment is valid.

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/20...oin_state.html

Certainly it was not helpful for the governor to be saying that. It's also not helpful for our lady gov to be claiming I-565 is a priority when the books and plans clearly show that it ain't.

I think this has motivated me to vote Battle.

That's an excellent point.

ALDOT is the driving force for roads to nowhere like I-422. Or roads that aren't needed like another bridge to Orange Beach. (The toll bridge should never have been built as a toll bridge, but it's just silly to spend $30-60 million to build another bridge practically right next to the toll bridge.) Or maybe two bridges. Do I hear three?

Two new bridges for Orange Beach? - FOX10 News | WALA
That would be the case if William Bell was still the Birmingham mayor, but that is not the case so the argument is invalid. Ivey is an idiot that puts her foot in her mouth. Battle is the best candidate on the GOP ticket.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM

12,611 posts, read 9,111,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
well it shouldn't if they did it correctly but he is familiar with aldot delay and footdragging way they do business.The project should be done all at once otherwise it wont be finished in 20 years. And design it for the next 30 years not 2008.
It didn't take 10 years to build the whole thing, once construction started. Adding one lane in each direction should take little time at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area