Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

But alas, it's in Nashville. It's going to be a beautiful development and a nice addition to the Nashville skyline.

https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...ounces_de.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
NO!!!! Not only no, but H%^& NO.

Huntsville has Monte Sano and Green Mtn. I've been in cities with the tall skylines and all they do is create MASSIVE traffic problems and block views and make life miserable for pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists.

I smile every time I drive into Huntsville and see Monte Sano in the distance, along with a couple of rockets from the age when America was not only great, but the greatest on earth. Anything taller than a Saturn V in the city would be a travesty.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
NO!!!! Not only no, but H%^& NO.

Huntsville has Monte Sano and Green Mtn. I've been in cities with the tall skylines and all they do is create MASSIVE traffic problems and block views and make life miserable for pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists.

I smile every time I drive into Huntsville and see Monte Sano in the distance, along with a couple of rockets from the age when America was not only great, but the greatest on earth. Anything taller than a Saturn V in the city would be a travesty.
Actually, those are probably about the same height as the Saturn V ... it was 360ish feet, about like a 30-35 story building. I didn't count floors, but that's about what those are. Maybe 40 or so. The dynamic test stand on Redstone Arsenal is 440 feet if I recall correctly. You'd have to have a really tall building to block the view of Monte Sano, maybe in the neighborhood of 100 stories.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Actually, those are probably about the same height as the Saturn V ... it was 360ish feet, about like a 30-35 story building. I didn't count floors, but that's about what those are. Maybe 40 or so. The dynamic test stand on Redstone Arsenal is 440 feet if I recall correctly. You'd have to have a really tall building to block the view of Monte Sano, maybe in the neighborhood of 100 stories.
At one time the test stand was the tallest manmade structure in Alabama. The RSA Battle House Tower(745') in Mobile now holds that title and probably will for a long time. Someone once said that the tallest point above sea level manmade was the top of the tv antennae's on Monte Sano.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 AM

956 posts, read 745,004 times
We got that stupid looking net that you can see from all over the valley

Old 06-30-2018, 09:01 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
It would be funny if everyone flew their unwanted drones into it, so it looked like some giant perverse bird net to the tourists. "Honey, what is THAT???"

Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
But alas, it's in Nashville. It's going to be a beautiful development and a nice addition to the Nashville skyline.

https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...ounces_de.html
I'm with harry, not just no, but hell to the mfing NO! I just don't get why some people want these big tall ugly buildings blocking the beautiful scenery we have around here. It does absolutely nothing for me when I go to a big city and see all those tall buildings. They just look like big tall concrete and glass buildings to me.

Quote:
LMAO! I was just saying something the other day about that big ugly ass net you can see from just about anywhere in town. That thing is a real eyesore isn't it?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's not the most attractive thing in the world, is it? I suppose the only positive is that you know where Top Golf is located if you're looking for it.

I still haven't gone but plan to before long. My excuse when it first opened was it was too cold; now it's too hot.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
At one time the test stand was the tallest manmade structure in Alabama. The RSA Battle House Tower(745') in Mobile now holds that title and probably will for a long time. Someone once said that the tallest point above sea level manmade was the top of the tv antennae's on Monte Sano.
Is that counting an antenna or something? I'm pretty sure it's only 35 stories, but it's tall enough for 65. It pretty much dominates the place. Gotta wonder why RSA decided to build such a building.

Does RSA have anything here, other than the Hampton Cove golf courses? They don't as far as I know.

I still think buildings such as the Nashville ones would look good here.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:57 PM

34 posts, read 37,537 times
I’m with RocketDawg, I think it would look awkward to have a 40 story building here BUT, I’d like to see some in the 15-25 range. I think those would look appropriate for a city our size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area